Leif's "Revenge of the Giants" [4E] Recruiting

The Monk is a deceptive striker. He often works best when surrounded by enemies and he'll probably end up with the highest in-combat AC of the whole group.

Though his AC is normally 28, there's a couple of factors that will make it pass the defenders. His main tactic is to slide enemies adjacent to himself and whenever that happens, those enemies grant combat advantage. For Althous when an enemy grants combat advantage he gets a +2 AC bonus versus them. In addition Ghostwalker gives him concealment against an enemy that is granting combat advantage so he's got a net +4 AC (+2 AC bonus, -2 to their attacks). His implement is Shielding so there's another +1 AC and with the Boots of the Fencing Master he'll be likely be shifting every round for another +1 AC. Also when he's granting combat advantage enemies don't get the +2 attack bonus.

So when he's surrounded by enemies that he pulled/slid there, his AC is effectively 6 higher and they have no attack bonuses from combat advantage. It works out well because Monks are better at multi-attacking than focusing on single targets, so he wants to get himself surrounded. Just think Jackie Chan fighting with Drunken Boxing, the enemies hurt themselves. :cool:

Son of Meepo

First Post
That's not a bad thing. Sometimes defenders have defenses that are too high. At some point, if the defender is too hard to hit, it's more effective for the monsters to take the mark punishment and ignore the defender.

Scotley

Hero
FWIW, a bunch of strikers and a leader isn't a terrible group (at least in theory, and given melee and ranged strikers). It wouldn't be particularly sticky, but the best condition to inflict is 'dead' and a striker-heavy group can do that fast (especially if they've got good basic attacks and a leader who likes to grant them).

It will certainly make our jobs easier if there is a shortage of controllers. :cool:

Scotley

Hero
The main concept I have for Durn is a defender with secondary controller abilities. The striker secondary is just a fall back if Dragon 385 is disallowed (it has a ton of shield feats and powers in it).

I'm in favor of the Dragon version. Gotta convince Leif. ;)

I think I'll stick with the striker build for Tyrus. Y'see, I always play controllers or defenders. Striker will be a nice change of pace for me. However, I will
mention that [MENTION=11520]Scotley[/MENTION] and [MENTION=48762]Leif[/MENTION] are both very handsome and intelligent.

Walking Dad

First Post
Sorry, was pretty occupied lately. If you still need a controller I will upgrade Denaris in the next two days. Hunter is ranger/controller. Have you guys access to the Neverwinter setting book? I would be interested in an alternative racial feature (wood elf) that was in there.

For theme I would like to take fey beast tamer from the feywild book. Luckily it was previewed here:
http://wizards.com/dnd/files/excerpt_20111028.pdf

Walking Dad

First Post
Work in progress:

Denaris the Obstreperous Practitioner of Professional Huntsmanship

1234-1.JPG

An unfriendly elf with an ugly scar over his right cheek who has broken with his former tribe. As sign for his individuality, he prefers a crossbow over the longbow.

[sblock=Sheet]

Denaris
Elf, Hunter
Hunrt Weapon Talent: Crossbow
Background: Birthplace (Forest) (+2 Perception)
Wilderness Knacks: Ambush Expertise
Wilderness Knacks: Wilderness Tracker

[sblock=Wilderness Knacks Details]
Ambush Expertise
Whenever you make a Stealth check, each ally within 10 squares of you gains a +2 bonus to his or her next Stealth check before the end of your next turn.

Wilderness Tracker
During a short rest, you can make a Perception check (DC determined by the DM) to inspect the area around you. This area can be as large as 10 squares on a side. If your check succeeds, you determine the number and nature of the creatures that have moved through the area in the past 24 hours. You ascertain when and where they entered the area, as well as when and where they left.
[/sblock]

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 12, CON 14, DEX 18, INT 11, WIS 15, CHA 10

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 12, CON 14, DEX 16, INT 11, WIS 13, CHA 10

AC: 16 Fort: 13 Ref: 14 Will: 12
HP: 26 Surges: 8 Surge Value: 6

TRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +9, Heal +7, Nature +9, Perception +11, Stealth +9

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Athletics +1, Arcana +0, Bluff +0, Diplomacy +0, Dungeoneering +2, Endurance +2, History +0, Insight +2, Intimidate +0, Religion +0, Streetwise +0, Thievery +4

[sblock=Class Features]
Crossbow Hunter
You gain the Crossbow Expertise feat. Also, if a crossbow you wield has the load minor property, you can instead reload it as a free action.

Weapon Talent
You gain a +1 bonus to the attack rolls of weapon attacks.
[/sblock]

POWERS
Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
At-Will: Aimed Shot
At-Will: Clever Shor
At-Will: Rapid Shot
Elf Racial Power: Elven Accuracy
Hunter Encounter: Disruptive Shot
Aspects of the Wild: Aspect of the Dancing Serpent
Aspects of the Wild: Aspect of the Pouncing Lynx

[sblock=Power Details]

Base Attacks:

(melee) Dagger:
1d20+5; 1d4+1
crit: 5

(ranged) Superior Crossbow (range 20/40):
1d20+10; 1d10+4
crit: 14

Aimed Shot
At-Will • Martial
Standard Action Personal
Effect: You make a ranged basic attack with a weapon, ignoring the penalty to attack rolls imposed by partial cover and partial concealment. In addition, the penalty to attack rolls imposed by superior cover and total concealment is no worse than -2 for this attack.

Clever Shot
At-Will • Martial
Standard Action Personal
Effect: You make a ranged basic attack with a weapon. If the attack hits, the target is also subject to one of the following effects of your choice:
• You slide the target up to 2 squares.
• The target falls prone.
• The target is slowed (save ends).

Rapid Shot
At-Will • Martial
Standard Action Personal
Effect: You make a ranged basic attack with a weapon against each creature in or adjacent to a square within the attack's range. You take a -2 penalty to the attack rolls.

Disruptive Shot
Encounter • Martial, Weapon
Standard Action Ranged Weapon
Target: One creature
Attack: 1d20+10 vs AC
Hit: 1d10+4 damage and the target is either immobilized (save ends) or dazed (save ends).
Miss: Half-damage, and the target is slowed until the end of your next turn.

Elven Accuracy
Encounter
Free Action Personal
Effect: Reroll an attack roll. Use the second roll, even if it's lower.

Aspect of the Dancing Serpent
At-Will • Primal, Stance
Minor Action Personal
Effect: You assume a stance, the aspect of the dancing serpent. Until the stance ends, you gain the following benefits.
• You can take a free action at the end of each of your turns to shift 1 square.
• When you make a basic attack against an enemy that has none of its allies adjacent to it, you gain a +1 power bonus to the attack roll and damage roll.

Aspect of the Pouncing Lynx

At-Will • Primal, Stance
Minor Action Personal
Effect: You assume a stance, the aspect of the pouncing lynx. Until the stance ends, you gain the following benefits.
• You gain a +4 power bonus to initiative checks.
• During your first turn in an encounter, you gain a +2 power bonus to attack rolls.
• You gain a +2 power bonus to all defenses against opportunity attacks that you provoke by moving.

[/sblock]

FEATS
Bonus: Crossbow Expertise
Level 1: Weapon Proficiency (Superior Crossbow)

EQUIPMENT
Adventurer's Kit, Leather Armor, Superior crossbow, Dagger, Crossbow Bolts (60), 26 gp
[/sblock]

Leif

Adventurer
[OOC: You guys are posting too fast! I was two pages behind today. :(]

It will certainly make our jobs easier if there is a shortage of controllers. :cool:
mwahahahahaha

I'm in favor of the Dragon version. Gotta convince Leif. ;)
ok, I'm sold, too. :p
I think I'll stick with the striker build for Tyrus. Y'see, I always play controllers or defenders. Striker will be a nice change of pace for me. However, I will mention that [MENTION=11520]Scotley[/MENTION] and [MENTION=48762]Leif[/MENTION] are both very handsome and intelligent.
Hmmm, willful disregard of a DM suggestion coupled with a blatant attempt at bribery. Can you say, "Blue Bolt Bait," three times fast?

No, faster than that! :D ;)

Sariel, too?
Sure.

Sorry, was pretty occupied lately. If you still need a controller I will upgrade Denaris in the next two days. Hunter is ranger/controller. Have you guys access to the Neverwinter setting book? I would be interested in an alternative racial feature (wood elf) that was in there.

For theme I would like to take fey beast tamer from the feywild book. Luckily it was previewed here:
http://wizards.com/dnd/files/excerpt_20111028.pdf

Thanks In nomine Patris."

I have the Neverwinter book! Yay, I gots one!

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases