Leif's "Revenge of the Giants" [4E] Recruiting

hafrogman

Adventurer
Warlord, barbarian, fighter, monk and paladin . . . wait a minute. I'm the squishie? That's such a weird sensation.

Still, looking forward to it.

drothgery

First Post
Warlord, barbarian, fighter, monk and paladin . . . wait a minute. I'm the squishie? That's such a weird sensation.
Well, the warlord, monk, sorcerer, and paladin|sorcerer all have 81 +/- 1 hit points. I guess your character has the worst defenses of them on average (except the barbarian, who has the highest HPs in the group to compensate for poor defenses), but it's not by a lot (the barbarian has the same AC; your sorcerer's Fort is only one point worse than my warlord or the paladin|sorcerer; his ref is better than the barbarian, figheter, or the paladin|sorcerer) and he's got the best will defense in the group.

Are we figuring this group has been together for a while, just meeting for this adventure, or a mix of the two? If we've been together from the beggining, does anyone see their character (or a younger version of their character) as willing to take a job from a Myth Drannor nobleman and let his daughter talk her way into coming along?

Scotley

Hero
Welcome all. I think we can have great fun with this group. The RG will be available soon and Leif and I will try to set a start time as well. Feel free to sort out your past connections in this thread.

drothgery

First Post
That's up to individual player choice. Each of you can decide for yourselves whether you want to have previous history with any of the others or whether your PC is more of a solo operator

1. The entire party should not have extensive history working together in this form, although they may all be familiar with each other from previous experience or general reputation either one. Think "Avengers" ....

2. You have all been summoned by the Leaders of the World because of your renown, and brought together to undertake a mission of utmost importance to the continued survival of your Free Peoples..
Well, Sariel is definitely not a solo operator; I'd prefer it if one or two PCs had a long-standing history with her. Heck, it wouldn't be surprising if one or two people she was working with at the time were the ones who were actually summoned, and they brought her along.

-- irrelevant discussion deleted --

Last edited:

Insight

Adventurer
Durn Duradin, as a member of the Shieldsworn of Moradin, has been hanging around with dwarves for the vast majority of his life. He has pretty much dedicated himself to defending dwarven holds from giants and other menaces found in dwarven lands.

I don't know how well that jibes with what other people have for their backgrounds. Unless there's another dwarf in the party, I doubt Durn would have run into someone else's character.

Insight

Adventurer
How does this interact with the standard starting gold rule (you start with the value of a level n-1 item -- in this case the 9000 gp of an 11th level item -- to spend on magic and high-ticket items; mundane items are free but don't be silly)?

I can think of a few possibilities here...
1) The magic items are free; you can't use your starting gold for permanent magic items.
2) These items replace standard starting gold. This runs into some difficulties with consumable magic/alchemical items, rituals/ritual components, and expensive mundane equipment (consumeable items are much cheaper than permanent items, and I'm not sure how you'd pay for rituals and ritual components).
3) These items still have to be paid for out of standard starting gold.

I think they are saying that we each get 8 "item levels" of Level 1 or Level 2 items in addition to whatever else we pick up from starting gold and the 3 items we get for free anyway.

So, in essence, you would have 1 13th level, 1 12th level, 1 11th level, and 8 "levels" of Level 1 or Level 2 items... plus your 9,000gp to spend on whatever.

Insight

Adventurer
*Sigh!* That's what I get for trying to be clever with the char-gen guidelines.

How about this:

4) These items still have to be paid for out of standard starting gold, except for L1/L2 items which are gratis within the limits of good taste and reason already mentioned.

[MENTION=11437]Insight[/MENTION] your "excess 9,000 gp" to spend on 'whatever' is a problem.

That's not really helping clarify the item rules.

The 9,000gp is standard for 12th level characters. This is supposed to be used to purchase lower level magic items, rituals, residuum for rituals, and so forth.

Are you restricting what we can spend this 9,000gp on?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases