Monster Design in D&D Next

Li Shenron

Legend
I think it's an interesting showcase of the process of monster adaptation from previous editions.

The only thing that doesn't resonate with me right now is that after all the talking about HP not really being wounds, being "impaled" by one of these hooks just costs a bunch of HP... maybe they are rubber hooks? Sucker limbs? One minute you're impaled and the next you take a short rest and you're good to go :p

jadrax

Adventurer
I think it's an interesting showcase of the process of monster adaptation from previous editions.

The only thing that doesn't resonate with me right now is that after all the talking about HP not really being wounds, being "impaled" by one of these hooks just costs a bunch of HP... maybe they are rubber hooks? Sucker limbs? One minute you're impaled and the next you take a short rest and you're good to go :p

Yes. To be honest, I do not think the mechanic for the Hook Horror as present here really work very well.

It is not supposed to be a showcase in that sense, they are illustrating the current method of design. The game is currently months away from release.

At least a year I'd have said. But when illustrating your method of design you almost always do it with what you consider your best examples of design to be.

On the other hand it doesn't resonate with hit points being wounds either. You've been impaled and have a four inch hole in you and somehow this isn't life threatening? And you can keep going without any penalties?

Gilladian

Adventurer
In my reading of this, I am as confused as always with monster multi-attacks. When he hits, he does normal to hit damage, and the foe is impaled. Does the impale damage happen in the same round? the next round? Every round thereafter? The bite is automatic... does it happen the same round as the hit? The next round? Does the poor victim take BOTH impale and bite damage every round? Huh??

Otherwise, I'm willing to say that the lack of skills is a beta-test stage issue, and the fluff may well change also. The xp, I never use anyway, so what it says is meaningless to me, but I do wonder if it is a bit high for ALL creatures, so far.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Seems interesting, I still think that the XP is too high though.

One thing that jumped up was the talk about encounter design, I thought we were moving away from that to advanture design.

Warder

Just because the focus of the game is on the complete adventure, and thus making sure all characters have abilities that are balanced across multiple events within that adventure, does not mean they don't have to keep track of what can happen in any specific individual encounter or fight.

The adventure may dictate for example 3000 XP spread over its length... but that doesn't mean a good or balanced design with that 3000 XP is eight fights worth 25 XP each, followed by an 1800 XP monstrous shitkicker. Which, if you don't talk about that in the DMG... means some newer or less-experienced DMs might actually think that's as valid a way to design an adventure as any other. Which they would unfortunately find out is not to be the case when the players are bored with those first 8 and then absolutely decimated in that final battle.

So giving helpful tips on designing adventures and individual fights or encounters is a good idea. You don't need to forsake one for the other.

Gold Roger

First Post
So, mearls gives us an example how the current monsters where designed, which we already know is just an improvised placeholder, and then puts some tiny paragrphs in what they want to do in the long run, pretty much all of which was already said elsewhere.

Well, I guess he doesn't have much time for L&L with the first wave of the survey in. Because he could just as well written nothing.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
I liked it...

The design sounds pretty straight-forward; for the purposes of designing a monster for a combat encounter, should work fine.

It's interesting to note monsters, at this time, aren't given skills. As broad as skills are going to be, I think that's a shame. I'd like to see kobolds with skill at trapmaking, bugbears with stealth, gnolls with tracking, sphinxes with skills in riddles, etc., to at least suggest uses beyond straight-up combat.

I think he mentions adding non-combat abilities later.

Are the Wotcies saying this? Anyways, this is always the issue, has always been the issue....remember, people are getting set on fire, covered with acid, bit by dragons, hit by halberds...

In this case, its easy, for the low level charecter, they are about to die (and may use a lot of healing to recover), for a high level one, the hook is caught in armor, robes, a belt, etc.

Gilladian

Adventurer
Morrus asked about the XP being too high and what I was basing my judgement on;

Just a general feel for how fast PCs went up during the playtest, and how much of a chunk this is. I thought PCs in the playtest advanced a bit quickly, and this monster seems in line with that rate (which was about 10-12 encounters). I like MUCH slower advancement myself, though, so maybe I should clarify my preferences first; I tend to advance my pcs "by plot" and spend about a real 3-4 months per level (weekly game, 3 hour sessions).

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases