D&D 5th Edition On DDI Articles: Please check the News Page first [UPDATE: rule relaxed] - Page 4


What's on your mind?

+ Log in or register to post
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 31 to 40 of 40
  1. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by Morrus View Post
    I'm still working on having them show up in both, but may I ask why you'd choose to discuss it in one forum but not the other? I'm struggling to understand the psychology behind it - for me, it makes no difference whatsoever.
    I think there are three differences.

    First, the News forum (at least how it shows up for me) is ordered according to when the threads were created, while the discussion forum is ordered in according to the thread received its last post. That ordering means that, in the discussion forum, interesting or contentious threads tend to stay near the top, while the News forum buries those threads. That's appropriate for a news forum, but not conducive to discussion.

    Second, the discussion forum better encourages participation. If there is a particular point of an article that deserves separate discussion, you can create a new thread in the same space as the original, ensuring that folks looking for interesting community commentary find both. There even is (or was) a friendly competition to be the person to first post a link to an interesting article.

    Third, inertia is significant here. The value of the forum is based on the number of other intelligent people looking at it. The fact that a community of often clever and insightful folks were checking and participating in the New Horizons forum was what made it valuable. (At least for me, this is the primary reason for coming to ENWorld.) When you try to move the eyeballs into another forum, folks adapt at different rates, reducing the value of the positive network effect.

    I don't know how much the quantity of interesting discussion declined because of the forum change or because interest has died down more generally. (The level of interest from earlier this year was obviously unsustainable.) But I think it would be a real shame if this forum change resulted in a permanent decrease in the quantity or quality of discussion.

    -KS

 

  • #32
    Member SILVER SUBSCRIBER
    Enchanter (Lvl 12)



    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Israel netanya
    Posts
    1,350
    Reviews
    Read 3 Reviews
    I Defended The Walls!D&D NextD&D

    Ignore Blackwarder
    Quote Originally Posted by KidSnide View Post
    I think there are three differences.

    First, the News forum (at least how it shows up for me) is ordered according to when the threads were created, while the discussion forum is ordered in according to the thread received its last post. That ordering means that, in the discussion forum, interesting or contentious threads tend to stay near the top, while the News forum buries those threads. That's appropriate for a news forum, but not conducive to discussion.

    Second, the discussion forum better encourages participation. If there is a particular point of an article that deserves separate discussion, you can create a new thread in the same space as the original, ensuring that folks looking for interesting community commentary find both. There even is (or was) a friendly competition to be the person to first post a link to an interesting article.

    Third, inertia is significant here. The value of the forum is based on the number of other intelligent people looking at it. The fact that a community of often clever and insightful folks were checking and participating in the New Horizons forum was what made it valuable. (At least for me, this is the primary reason for coming to ENWorld.) When you try to move the eyeballs into another forum, folks adapt at different rates, reducing the value of the positive network effect.

    I don't know how much the quantity of interesting discussion declined because of the forum change or because interest has died down more generally. (The level of interest from earlier this year was obviously unsustainable.) But I think it would be a real shame if this forum change resulted in a permanent decrease in the quantity or quality of discussion.

    -KS
    Can't xp you, seems I need to spread more xp... Weird since I haven't been to the forums for several days.

    I agree with every thing you wrote, I'll also add that for me, heading to the forum to check the new news threads exposed me to all the other threads on the 5e forums.

    The thing you need to remember Morrus is that most folks don't take the time to go through all the forums and check every thread, the spend several minutes here and enter the threads that catch their eye, problem is that by removing the news threads from the new horizons forum all those members who got lured into the dissections (me included) just aren't exposed to them...

    My 2 cents.

    Warder
    I LIKE COMBAT AS WAR!!!!!!

    the essence of D&D is "The thrill of victory the agony of a natural 1" - Mike Mearls, Gen Con 2012

    Starting From the Ground Up - ACKS Economic system
    Starting From the Grounds Up, Part II - ACKS Economic system

  • #33
    The Guvnor
    Orcus on an Off-Day (Lvl 22)

    Morrus's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Southampton
    Posts
    27,395
    Reviews
    Read 18 Reviews
    Blog Entries
    4
    13th AgeSupermanCircvs MaximvsENniesPathfinderZEITGEISTDoctor Who

    Ignore Morrus
    My communities:

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackwarder View Post
    The thing you need to remember Morrus is that most folks don't take the time to go through all the forums and check every thread, the spend several minutes here and enter the threads that catch their eye, problem is that by removing the news threads from the new horizons forum all those members who got lured into the dissections (me included) just aren't exposed to them...
    The thing with that is that it's very exclusive - it only considers the small percentage of people who do delve into forums and find threads. What I'd like to see is that other 97% of site visitors seeing the threads, which is accomplished this way. Certainly more people are seeing them, and more new people are posting on them; these are two good things we should strive for. Otherwise we're focusing too much on a small percentage of people.
    Last edited by Morrus; Sunday, 1st July, 2012 at 10:50 PM.

  • #34
    Registered User
    Myrmidon (Lvl 10)

    drothgery's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    10,235
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Blog Entries
    3

    Ignore drothgery
    My communities:

    Another issue is that the "XX replies" link on the home page goest to a reply form, not to the first comment (or first new comment). Which is counter-intuitive.
    Dave Rothgery

    PBP
    Spoiler:

    My EnWorld Blog
    Republic and Empire
    Buffverse M&M game

    Characters
    Active
    Sanne Bacher d'Lyrandar in S@squ@tch's Against the Giants - Team Black

    Inactive
    Istara Kandorian in Ankh-Morpork Guard's Star Wars: Rebels with Style
    Eric Hassel (Quarterback) in Jemal's Mutant High
    Sariel in Rumspringa's Keep on the Shadowfell
    Khalia ir'Indari in DEFCON1's Eye of the Lich Queen
    Serrana Vao in Karl Green's Knights of the Old Republic (with 213 things Serrana can't do in the Jedi Order)
    Italimelk in Living ENWorld
    Daellin ir'Ayellan in stonegod's Expedition to Castle Ravenloft
    drothgery's Victorian Eberron game
    Star Wars/KotOR Era - The Second K'ril Incursion

  • #35
    The Guvnor
    Orcus on an Off-Day (Lvl 22)

    Morrus's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Southampton
    Posts
    27,395
    Reviews
    Read 18 Reviews
    Blog Entries
    4
    13th AgeSupermanCircvs MaximvsENniesPathfinderZEITGEISTDoctor Who

    Ignore Morrus
    My communities:

    Quote Originally Posted by drothgery View Post
    Another issue is that the "XX replies" link on the home page goest to a reply form, not to the first comment (or first new comment). Which is counter-intuitive.
    It is counter-intuitive. But I don't think it's the explanation we're seeking.

  • #36
    The Guvnor
    Orcus on an Off-Day (Lvl 22)

    Morrus's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Southampton
    Posts
    27,395
    Reviews
    Read 18 Reviews
    Blog Entries
    4
    13th AgeSupermanCircvs MaximvsENniesPathfinderZEITGEISTDoctor Who

    Ignore Morrus
    My communities:

    I'm trying an experimental change in the news sidebar on the left to see if it helps.

    I've changed it to show items in order of last-reply (like a regular forum); this means that popular items will rise to the top and stick around for longer, while unpopular ones will just slide off the bottom. I've also increased it to show 15 items, again reducing the amount of stuff sliding quickly off the bottom.

  • #37
    Registered User
    Magsman (Lvl 14)

    JamesonCourage's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    California
    Posts
    2,803
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    Ignore JamesonCourage
    Quote Originally Posted by Morrus View Post
    I'm trying an experimental change in the news sidebar on the left to see if it helps.

    I've changed it to show items in order of last-reply (like a regular forum); this means that popular items will rise to the top and stick around for longer, while unpopular ones will just slide off the bottom. I've also increased it to show 15 items, again reducing the amount of stuff sliding quickly off the bottom.
    I just wanted to say this is working for me so far. Thanks for going through the effort. I appreciate it.
    As always, play what you like

  • #38
    The Guvnor
    Orcus on an Off-Day (Lvl 22)

    Morrus's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Southampton
    Posts
    27,395
    Reviews
    Read 18 Reviews
    Blog Entries
    4
    13th AgeSupermanCircvs MaximvsENniesPathfinderZEITGEISTDoctor Who

    Ignore Morrus
    My communities:

    OK, we have (hopefully) the thread mirroring working. So now a thread can be on both the news page AND the 5E forum. We'll see how that works out - I don't know how it'll affect server performance. I've mirrored a small handful of recent D&D Next news items here as a trial. Please post in 'em so we can see if replies are mirrored correctly in both version of the thread.

  • #39
    Community Supporter COPPER SUBSCRIBER
    Cutpurse (Lvl 5)

    Sir Brennen's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Villa Park, IL
    Posts
    1,755
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    Ignore Sir Brennen
    My communities:

    Quote Originally Posted by Morrus View Post
    OK, we have (hopefully) the thread mirroring working. So now a thread can be on both the news page AND the 5E forum. We'll see how that works out - I don't know how it'll affect server performance. I've mirrored a small handful of recent D&D Next news items here as a trial. Please post in 'em so we can see if replies are mirrored correctly in both version of the thread.
    That's awesome. I like how the news items are flagged in the 5E forum with the D&D icon as well.

    If this experiment works, I for one would like the News forum to go back to being ordered by creation date. In the News Items sidebar, I expect News to be displayed by, you know, what's newest. Then heavily discussed mirrored topics can rise to the top of the related forum.
    "Sometimes we buy books because we think we're buying the time to read them." - Warren Zevon

    ~ Scroll of Tian ~ a DnD 5E Campaign TiddlyWiki (In Process)

  • #40
    Member SILVER SUBSCRIBER
    Enchanter (Lvl 12)



    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Israel netanya
    Posts
    1,350
    Reviews
    Read 3 Reviews
    I Defended The Walls!D&D NextD&D

    Ignore Blackwarder
    I find the current layout excellent, good job!

    Warder
    I LIKE COMBAT AS WAR!!!!!!

    the essence of D&D is "The thrill of victory the agony of a natural 1" - Mike Mearls, Gen Con 2012

    Starting From the Ground Up - ACKS Economic system
    Starting From the Grounds Up, Part II - ACKS Economic system

  • + Log in or register to post
    Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

    Similar Threads

    1. Do you wish to release you art for use on the front page and in articles?
      By Michael Morris in forum Miscellaneous Geek Talk & Media Lounge
      Replies: 7
      Last Post: Thursday, 28th August, 2008, 12:20 PM
    2. Articles on the front page?
      By BLACKDIRGE in forum Meta
      Replies: 0
      Last Post: Saturday, 11th November, 2006, 12:51 AM
    3. Minis Articles on the D&D Page...
      By Scribble in forum General RPG Discussion
      Replies: 23
      Last Post: Friday, 11th August, 2006, 09:21 AM
    4. Replies: 2
      Last Post: Wednesday, 16th July, 2003, 07:20 AM
    5. [META, but perhaps urgent] Front page funk? (errors on the news page)
      By RangerWickett in forum General RPG Discussion
      Replies: 2
      Last Post: Wednesday, 16th July, 2003, 07:20 AM

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •