1st Edition PH Excerpts: Bard

I always wanted to play a bard (and they have been nostalgically cool to me for that). But only ever PC'd twice and 1/2Orc Ftr/Ass and Gnome Illusionist/Thief won the contest. Otherwise it was DMing.
Ah my first AD&D PC Garush 1/2Orc Ftr/Ass with a Str of 18/99... I rolled a 18/00 in front of an amazed group!

tlantl

First Post
Whoops ... two levels too many. Have to change before reaching the top level, so max fighter/thief was 7/8 before going bard.

Emphasis mine. Had a player with a bard in the last 1E campaign I ran many moons ago and it was fun when he finally qualified for the class.

All a matter of interpretation I guess. I will admit we abused those rules as much as we followed them.

I can say that none of the guys I DMed for even tried to make one.

vectner

Explorer
Bards were the best characters in the game. Basically epic in scope and power. I remember them having D6 hp all the way through 23rd level though, I will have to check my old copy.

prosfilaes

Adventurer
Bards were the best characters in the game. Basically epic in scope and power. I remember them having D6 hp all the way through 23rd level though, I will have to check my old copy.

If you follow the link, they have the bard class pages as a PDF. They only have d6 HP up to 10th level.

Reading that PDF reminds me why I was so quick to jump to GURPS back in the day. A game with one prestige class, where you have to gain at least 5+5 levels in other classes, then get a table that goes up to 23 even though the abilities have really topped out by 13, and who knows what your party members are supposed to be doing. And to get the attributes is 17 in a million by Method 1 and less than 4% by Method 3 (a problem not limited to the bard).

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases