Eric "Shade" Jansing (1971-2012)

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
I don't have the words to say how sad Eric's passing is. Though I only knew him on these boards, I admired him as only someone with a shared interest can. I had great fun discussing and indexing monsters with him and the other frequent posters of these boards...and I regret that I won't be able to do so anymore.

My deepest sympathies and condolences to his family and friends. He'll be missed.

Leopold

NKL4LYFE
My very best wishes to his family in this time of loss. He was a great man to work with and the world is a sadder place for his passing.

Ferret

Explorer
I didn't know Eric very well, but I didn't have to, to know how much he helped this community.

My condolences are with his friends and family.

Big Mac

Explorer
About 10 years back I started playing 3rd Edition and came online looking for people converting Spelljammer to 3rd Edition. I met a few polite people, but I also met a few very rude people that made me feel like a freak for liking WotCs rules or for liking a "dead" setting. And the Edition War types acted like combining old and new was a crime.

But when I came here and found the Creature Catalogue team, Shade didn't make me feel like a freak - he made me feel like a friend.

A lot of people gave up on 3e, and I've not been here as much as I should, but Shade has been making my dream into a reality.

I'm really going to miss you Shade. Thanks for picking up the batten that WotC dropped and getting 3rd Edition to the final hurdle. Every time I see a fan-converted monster I'm going to remember how much fun it was to talk monster conversions with you.

EDIT: I've dropped a thread called RIP - Shade - 3e monster hero at The Piazza, so I could tell my friends over there what a cool guy he was.

Last edited:

Shemeska

Adventurer
Oh man... my sympathies go out to his family. I talked with him online for a stretch of time, and enjoyed many of his posts here on enworld, and as much as you can get to know someone in the context of online chatter, it hits just as hard. Damn.

Garnfellow

Explorer
I haven't been around EN World regularly for a long time, but whenever I did check in I always swung by the CC, and I found it so comforting to see Shade continuing to plug away at monster conversions.

A very generous and prolific contributor, I bounced a lot of ideas off him and he always had thoughtful responses.

Just terrible news. My thoughts go out to his friends and family.

Clefton Twain

First Post
He was a dear friend

Hi. You may or may not know me. I lurk here...a lot. I rarely post anymore.

But I also feel like a turd for not remembering to post here and let everyone know all of this...but I am also glad that someone else did.

Eric and I were close friends. I used to hang out with him, his wife, and their children. I was in his D&D game and he was in mine. There were many late nights of Diablo and Diablo II played, as well as many games of Jedi Knight and Warcraft II. We worked three jobs together. And, of course, there were the many late nights spent drinking beer and playing games like Touch of Evil, Last Night on Earth, Pirate's Cove, and Talisman.

To many users on here, he was just another username. To some of you, he was more than that. To me, he was that guy who would laugh like Butt-Head to my Beavis. He was the elven Ranger who critically fumbled and sucked his own soul into his weapon. He was the warrior who would work with me for hours to get our loot back when we died in Diablo.

I was in his wedding, and he was in mine. We helped each other move and got Couchasaurus stuck on the bannister while moving it down the stairs. I could go on and on.

But, most importantly, he was a loving husband and father, and he was a fierce friend.

I miss my friend. :(

--CT

Last edited:

Remove ads