Gaming w/Jemal : Circle of Champions OOC (Full for now)

Walking Dad

First Post
Not bad so far, WD. couple questions
A) Have you settled on a trait? (I assume from your numbers you went with the potential +1 PL cap?)
- currently I took potential, but I have some problems with the points, so I will likely change it to powerful adn reduce some ranks.

B) The way your cone is written had me confused for a while, I thought you had 9 ranks in AREA (Making a way-too-massive 2-mile cone), but now I think that it's only applying Area to 9 ranks of your strength, for a str 9 cone.. Is that correct?
- yes the second, I should have written: cone 1 (on 9 ranks of damage)

C) not a question, just double checking numbers. By my count, Growth 4 gives: +4 mass, +1 size, +4 str, +4 stam, +2 Intimidate, -4 stealth, -2 dodge, -2 parry.
Also, just so we're on the same page, Size wise, you're 10-15 feet tall and between 1000-1600 Pounds. Could you make a note of what your actual size within those parameters is?
- will do

D) I assume the 'enhanced traits: dodge 2/parry2 is to counter the size penalty?
- yes, he is accustomed to his size. But I could also just buy them regularly.

E) I assume the Crystal Growth is him.. well, Growing Crystals? Can he do it at range, as is the base of Create, or are you going to limit it, aka him 'embedding' crystals or growing them via touch or proximity? Also Precise doesn't make much sense for crystal growth, how do you cause crystals to grow into intricate moving parts?
- forgot it is ranged by default... I will limit it to close and add impervious instead. Precise is for adding ornaments or be able to form a key from the crystal, not moving parts.

BTW, is there a trad-off limit? I would like to go with +3/-3.

Voda Vosa

First Post
Second attempt at character concept.

Xolotl_03.jpg

Xolotl, monstrous god of the dying, the lightning and bad omens.

He was the twin of Quetzalcoatl, the feathered serpent god, creator of the fifth world, our world and was the dark personification of Venus, the evening star.
Before Quetzalcoatl's creation, there were other four, subsecuently destroyed by other gods. He assisted Quetzalcoatl in his battle against the god of the dead, to rescue the bones of the ancient gods and goddesses. Quetzalcoatl wanted to use the bones in a ritual to complete his creation, as humans were flawed, and needed to be improved. But Xolotl wanted to use the bone of the ancient gods to bolster himself, overrule Quetzalcoatl and create the sixth world, by eradicating the human race. But the Serpent God would not take ilghtly the arrogance of his brother. War ensured in the land, the armies of the sibling gods clashing under the sun.

quetza10.jpg

Being more powerful, Quetzalcoatl gained the upper hand in the skirmishes, forcing Xolotl to give away terrain. However, by that time, the Spaniards reached the coasts of America, and began to wage war against the people of Quetzalcoatl. Attacked by two fronts, Quetzalcoatl was weakened and forced to take a choice. He decided to terminate the more threatening enemy, and sacrificed himself to seal Xolotl forever inside the Great Temple, and strip him of his godly powers, by taking his feathered crown and his skull sceptre, and separating them into hidden locations.

huitzilopochtli_from_trikinggamesdotcom.jpg

The effort was so intense, it left Quetzalcoatl in dying agony. His efforts have saved the world, but also, sealed with Xolotl was the fate of his people. Unchecked, the Spanish conquistadores brought the mighty Aztec empire to its knees.

BaraldiCortes2LL.jpg

Centuries have pass since the clash of the gods, and the mightiest warlock of the new Earth has force ceasefire with a spell, the magical energies of which rippled through the entire planet like a stone in a pond. The magical resonance was enough to break the seal and release Xolotl from his prison in solitude.

The world had changed around the former god, and that stroke the flame of world destruction that had died after millennia. But he was deprived of his godly powers, and needed them back if he was to bring the world to its knees.
In this new world, there were all kind of creatures, powerful enough to destroy him in his actual form. It won't be easy.
He needed power to locate his missing artefacts and regain his glory, and there was just one way to obtain it in this modern world...
[sblock=Xolotl PL 8: Powerful]
Name: Xolotl Height 1.8 mts
Skin: Dry Pale Weight 70 kg
Hair: Black, tied in a braid Shape Humanoid
Eyes: Empty sockets Age: Unknown

Complications
Enemy : The god of Death is not quite pleased to see the thief of the ancient god's bones walking free again
Weakness : Radiant attacks are devastatingly effective against Xolotl
Obsession : Regain his powers
Secret : Xolotl must keep his goals a secret, no one would like what he has in store for the world.

Abilities ( 26 pp)
Strength 0 , Stamina 2 , Agility 2 , Dexterity 2 , Fighting 0 , Intellect 5 , Awareness 2 , Precence 0 .

Powers ( 53 pp)
- Armor of Bones ( Device : Removable: -1/5: Protection 8 ) · 7 point/s

- Eternal ( Feature (Immortality 3) : Returns after 4 days. Limited: Disintegrated, or teared in more than 10 pieces ) · 1 point/s

- God's biology ( Immunity 14 : Aging, Life support, Critical hits, Sleep ) · 14 point/s

- God's portfolio ( Magic 12 : 0 ) · 29 point/s
- Pain of the dying ( Affliction 8 : 1: Dazed; 2: Stunned; 3: Paralyzed. Resisted: Will. Extras: Burst area, Increased Range. ) · 0 point/s
- Call Lightning ( Blast 8 : Electricity. Multiattack 8 ) · 0 point/s
- Grasp of the Dying ( Damage 8 : Selective; Cloud Area ) · 0 point/s
- Drain soul ( Weaken 11 : Affects will, resisted by will. Increased Range, accurate ) · 0 point/s
- Thief of the Gods ( Alternate form (shadow) : Concealment 4 (All gustatory and all olfactory); Immunity 10 (Entrapment, all enviromental); Movement 3 (Slithering, Wall crawling 2, Trackless) ) · 0 point/s

- Master Spell weaver ( Quickness 8 : Limited to Rituals ) · 2 point/s

Advantages ( 14 pp)
0 0 , All out attack 1 , Edietic memory 1 , Fearless 1 , Ritualist 1 , Improved aim 1 , Evasion 1 , Move-by action 1 , Improved Init. 1 , Power attack 1 , Ranged attack 2 , Luck 2 , Sneak attack 1.

Skills ( 15 pp)
Expertise( Magic ) 12 (+ 17 ), Insight 4 (+ 6 ), Ranged Combat (Lightning) 4 (+ 6 ), Perception 4 (+ 6 ), Stealth 6 (+ 8 ),

Offence
Initiative: 6
Pain of the dying + Burst area Attack for DC: 18 Range: Ranged area
Call Lightning + 8 Attack for DC: 23 Range: Ranged
Grasp of the Dying + Cloud area Attack for DC: 23 Range: Close area
Drain soul + 5 Attack for DC: 21 Range: Ranged

Defence ( 22 pp)
Dodge: 6 Parry: : 6
Toughness: 10
Fortitude: 8
Will: 8

[/sblock]

Last edited:

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
Couple things to clarify -
First, When I say Arena, it's more 'hunger games/Running man' style arena than 'Gladiator'. Kind of dungeon-crawl/adventure-esque (Different arenas being different areas - urban sprawl, dungeon, wilderness, etc). And as noted before, there is potential for out-of-arena roleplaying and political/corporate/etc maneuvering if the PC's so wish. I just wanted to start something up that has an easy to run basis with potential, rather than trying a grand story from the start... Not that I'm trying to convince people to join us or anything... *innocent whistle*

Secondly, I'll be using 3e assuming it's available to the players.

I don't see much character building for that. But I m going to try.

Going to build your standard telekinetic, but also take some RP skills like persuasion and such.

Was thinking what if we were a fighting team in these "Running Man" like scenarios. I could make my character their manager.

HM

hafrogman

Adventurer
I don't see much character building for that. But I m going to try.
Too be fair, WalkingDad's the only one who's posted any character building at all yet. (Edit: Ninja Voda makes me a liar)

As I said above, I'm trying to get a feeling for the culture level of the world. As far as non-combat stuff is concerned, if it jives with the setting, I'm leaning towards a nerd dragon. A little bit lonely, a little bit neurotic, heavily into the internet (or whatever it's equivalent is): social media and networking. A knowledge hungry king of Wikipedia, Twitter and Facebook.

He's got a publicist and a therapist, and of course, a hoard . . . because what dragon would be complete without sleeping on a pile of money? Luckily a mattress stuffed with paper money is a lot more comfortable than gold coins.

Jemal

Adventurer
OK lotsa stuff to post so I'm gonna do a different post for each of you.

First, Hafrogman:

As far as culture/tech level, For inspiration, think 80's/90s 'near future' sci fi..
Running man, Fifth Element, Totall recall, Escape from New York/LA, Demolition Man, Judge Dredd.
For the more literate, Ender's Game would be a good example

Just take out any space travel, but keep the rest - higher tech, functional society - not utopian by a long shot, but not in the gutter.. Living conditions would be about the same as present day, due to the abundance of higher tech, but the average joe is probably living with only slightly better than present day tech, unable to afford the 'good stuff'. The Arena serves as pretty much the 'beer and circuses' of the day, keeping people entertained.

The dragon stuff seems fine.

Last edited:

Jemal

Adventurer
A) Have you settled on a trait? (I assume from your numbers you went with the potential +1 PL cap?)
- currently I took potential, but I have some problems with the points, so I will likely change it to powerful adn reduce some ranks.
Yeah that's the trade-off I wanted to give - You could make a character who's more powerful than the norm, but to do so you give up the versatility by having to spend more points doing it..
OR you could be MORE versatile with less maximum power/potential.

To me it's just more fun than the 'everybody's the exact same combat lvl, plus or minus a couple tradeoffs'

D) I assume the 'enhanced traits: dodge 2/parry2 is to counter the size penalty?
- yes, he is accustomed to his size. But I could also just buy them regularly.
I actually prefer the way you did it, makes no difference number wise but shows that its 'special', part of him being accustomed to his form.
E) I assume the Crystal Growth is him.. well, Growing Crystals? Can he do it at range, as is the base of Create, or are you going to limit it, aka him 'embedding' crystals or growing them via touch or proximity? Also Precise doesn't make much sense for crystal growth, how do you cause crystals to grow into intricate moving parts?
- forgot it is ranged by default... I will limit it to close and add impervious instead. Precise is for adding ornaments or be able to form a key from the crystal, not moving parts.
Thats fine, then.
BTW, is there a trad-off limit? I would like to go with +3/-3.
Three is fine, though if you take full tradeoff and potential trait that'll put your 'high stat' at 12, which is a full 50% above PL average.. and keep in mind I'll have to stat at least a few baddies accordingly. (I wont be tailoring EVERYONE to it, but a few will be tailored depending on the party's powers, to make for more interesting challenges).

It's the same thing I say in my D&D games - Don't have any relevant stat (Attack/defense) TOO much higher than your party, b/c then the things that can stand up to it will blow everybody else out of the water.

Jemal

Adventurer
Holyman - I'm not sure how well a Manager would work. Unless the campaign changes DRASTICALLY from what I've envisioned, there will be NO combat outside of the arena... That's kinda the whole point of it, is to keep the streets safe for the norms.

If what you want to do is all the out of combat roleplaying and political stuff, that's perfectly fine with me, I can run things out of the arena with you while they're battling away. :D Just want to make sure you know that the manager route would be very noncombat.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases