Rule-of-Three: 06/19/2012

pemerton

Legend
I could strip off those little fluff bits from every single power in 4E without changing anything at all about how the game plays. Literally. I'd go so far as to say, in my experience, no other single edition of D&D went as far in divorcing the mechanics from the fluff as 4E.
Again, there may be some cross purposes here. I'm not talking about the italicised flavour text - I mostly don't pay attention to it, and most monster powers don't have any.

I'm talking about the story implied and expressed by the mechanics.

The fluff bits for the powers in 4E can be removed, but the way the flavor comes through the mechanics themselves will still remain.
Exactly.

I'll refer again to the example of the chained cambion: it imposes an effect on two adjacent PCs whereby they take psychic damage if they don't both begin and end their turns adjacent. What is psychic damage? Suffering. So the effect of that ability is that the two PCs suffer - are in sufficient anguish perhaps to collapse and die - if they are separated. At the same time, it makes the players suffer, and experience frustration and resentment, because of the limit put on their PCs (a limit that only really works in gridded, highly mobile combat - but 4e combat is, by default, gridded and highly mobile). What more could you want to produce a story about a cambion, chained for some reason, resentful at being chained and telepathically broadcasting that resentment and anguish to the PCs?

Now one of the many weaknesses in the 4e rulebooks is that they don't talk enough about keywords in this respect. In the main discussion of keywords, keywords are explained simply in mechanics-to-mechanics terms (like the M:tG rules). Only in the discussion of damaging objects (a somewhat obscure part of the DMG) do they talk about the crucial role of mechanics in mediating between mechanics and fiction (eg the reason that a fireball sets combustibles on fire is because it deals damage having the [fire] keyword).

But once you overcome that deficiency in the rulebook, you can see how the keywords and effects of powers express a fiction which doesn't need flavour text (hence my reference to the absence of need for GM patter). The fiction inheres in the way the mechanics are resolved at the table.

A simple non-combat example: why can the wizard power Icy Terrain be used to freeze a puddle? Not because of its name - that's just fluff. Not because of its flavour text - that's more fluff. But because it deals [cold] damage.

As I said, that's a simple little example. But once you get multiple examples in combination (for the typical PC and the more interesting NPCs and creatures) and once you get more mechancially intricate stuff like the Chained Cambion, it gets quite a bit richer. For example, I don't need flavour text to tell me that the PCs who have been psychically shackled will experience anguish if they are separated - that's inherent in the damage they would take being psychic damage.

you do realize that your post is the antithesis of the "4e can do anything, just refluff it." argument?
I'm with TwinBahamut on this. That's never been my argument - I think that a signficant strength of 4e as a game is the setting that it brings with it - but also there is quite a bit of reflavouring that is possible within the parameters set by the mechanics. A Chained Cambion could fairly easily be reflavoured as the victim of some sort of curse, for example (ie the "cambion" bit, as opposed to the "chained" bit, isn't doing a lot of work in the monster's mechanics).

That sounds kinda like a good thing to me, because the only other place "story and background" can come from is the players and DM....which I like.
I want the story (and to a lesser extent the background) to emerge from play in a way that integrates player and GM contributions, rather than creating antagonisms or GM predominance. I see this as being the primary role of the mechanics.

Here are some examples that come easily to mind of mechanics that support this sort of thing:

*Any system of lifepath PC generation (RQ, Traveller, Burning Wheel, etc);

*The +5 to poison saves and second wind as a minor actionin that a dwarf enjoys in 4e, which express th inherent toughness and resilience of a dwarf without the need for the sort of GM fiat the Endurance features in the playtest seems to require;

*The need, in any edition of D&D, to mechanically resolve whether or not a given combatant dies in combat (ie there is no process for mere stipulation by GM or player).​

One consequence of this approach is that it makes choice of system, by the group, an important precursor in determining what sort of story might emerge out of play.

It's easy to adjudicate the power, because none is necessary. It's spelled out in black and white. A great many decisions during a 4e combat boil down to "which square?" The DDN team is actually trying to put some of the power of adjudication back in the DM's hands, something I applaud.
I think that the degree of GM power over adjudication is a tricky issue. One of the best discussions I know of it, from an RPG book, is in Burning Wheel. HeroQuest is also not too bad, but it's resolution mechanics are a bit more abstract than D&D, so the advice is perhaps a bit harder to apply.

My issue with the GM simply adjudicating whether or not a person fleeing in fear from a wight falls down the pit, when that flight is not epxressed mechanically as forced movement, is that it makes the stakes of the combat highly contingent on the GM's adjudication, and gives the player very little control over them.

I would contrast this with the role of GM adjudication in a skill challenge. The GM in a skill challenge could also declare, as a consequence of a failed check, that a PC falls down a pit (I've actually done this on one occasion). But the skill challenge mechanics mean that the player can always try and recover - via susbequent appropriate checks - and achieve his/her goal for the challenge. So dropping the PC down the pit via adjudication doesn't, of necessity, close things off for the player (and therefore not for the PC either). (This is very close to HeroWars/Quest style adjudication, by the way.)

Whereas, in D&D's combat mechanics (both 4e, pre-4e and the playtest) there is no analogous structure that keeps things mechanically open once a PC falls into a pit. The mechanics don't have that "N successes before 3 failures structure". They are built on a different model. And within that different model, I think it hinders player agency for the GM to be making unstructured and somewhat unpredicatable calls about the consequences of NPC and monster attacks (such as having someone fall down a pit).

GM patter can lead to mechanical differences, if the GM so chooses. Now, from your other posts, I gather you wouldn't find that acceptable. Some people like having a written rule that they can point to, some like being able to make it up as they go.
I hope I've made it clearer what my views are. It's not about GM adjudication - and if you look at any of my actual play reports on the General or 4e boards you'll see that I do a lot of adjudication, via skill challenges, page 42 etc.

It's about mechanical structures that preserve player agency - be they the page 42 damaeg and DC guidelines, or the "you can't lose until you fail 3 times" structure of skill challenges, or the forced movement rules to regulate who does and doesn't fall into pits when running in fear from a wight.

What I find to be the upshot of these sorts of mechanics is that, as a GM, once you frame the scene you don't have to hold back. You can push as hard as the mechanics allow, and the players can push back, and interesting stuff arises out of it. Whereas without those sorts of structures ("How much damage should this do?" "How likely should it be that so-and-so falls into a pit?" "How many retries am I meant to permit?") the game tends to turn into one in which the GM's decisions override the agency of players in deciding what actually occurs in the play of the game.

Maybe forming Phalanxes should depend on your circumstances, rather than race? Maybe a lone hobgoblin scout will respond rather intelligently, instead of trying to form a phalanx with himself? I mean, it sounds like you're complaining that monsters can be flexible.
Should two hobgoblins try to flank, or fight shoulder-to-shoulder? What about two goblins?

4e answers that question mechanically (goblins should flank to gain advantage and thereby bonus damage, hobgoblins should fight shoulder to shoulder and thereby increase there already strong AC via their phalanx mechanic). And thereby engenders a story (about vexing, flanking goblins and about warlike, martial hobgoblins). Other stuff - further development of the situation by the GM, responses to the situation by the players - can then be hung off this.

If the mechanics are "flexible" on this issue, what is the point of having the different sorts of humanoids at all? What do they contribute to the game, other than providing a suite of opponents of escalating hit points and attack bonuses?

The problem, though, is this goes against the mission statement of DDN. If you want to create a game that is adaptable to different groups with different play styles, then hard coding flavor mechanically into your monsters is the wrong way to go.
Sure. But the upshot of that is that people who like games where mechanics yield story - which is at least a noticeable subset of the 4e players on these boards - don't get a game that supports their playstyle.

Which was the point of my original post on this thread.

pemerton

Legend
Coming up with interesting situations and improving the quality of the story doesn't often happen in the middle of a fight. In between encounters, the different flavors of D&D aren't too much different, and this is where the story takes place, for the most part.
My experience is quite different. Given how significant combat is to 4e action resolution, I use it as a key place for developing interesting situations and driving the story forward.

The Chained Cambion is one example. Here's a link to another, one of the best examples from my game so far.

With the important qualification that encounters inlcude skill challenges and other non-combat situations as well as combats, I would say that nearly all the story in my game takes place in encounters - that where conflicts arise (out of the way I frame the scenes) and are resolved (out of the way the players tackle those scenes, via their PCs). At least as I understand it, that's what situation (ie encounter)-based play is all about.

My intuitive response is that combat encounters which weren't driving the story forward in some fashion would just be "board game" or dice-rolling exercises - unless you were doing Tomb of Horrors or White Plume Mountain sort of stuff, where the idea of the encounters is to engage the details of the setting in whacky and unexpected ways, like surfing the doors along the frictionless floor across the super-tetanus spikes. But in that sort of game, the story is pretty secondary, isn't it? It's more about the puzzle-solving and the wahoo (more wahoo in WPM than ToH, I think).

Last edited:

jadrax

Adventurer
The problem, though, is this goes against the mission statement of DDN. If you want to create a game that is adaptable to different groups with different play styles, then hard coding flavor mechanically into your monsters is the wrong way to go.

As far as I can tell, the mission statement is to create a game that unites D&D players. It may well be that people playing games that do not want to use the D&D IP are not considered to be a high priority in that.

I do not think they are trying to make a new version of GURPS here.

So instead of hobgoblins who form phalanxes because they get an AC bonus (as in 4e), there will be flavour text telling us that hobgoblins form phalanxes, and that goblins are sneaky, even though mechanically there will be little reason for the hobgoblins not to sneak or for the goblins not to form phalanxes.

I understand your concerns, but I don't yet see enough information to fully justify them.

Take the hobgobins - From my reading it's not that the 4e AC bonus will be repaced by 'flavour text'. It will be replaced by a Hobgoblin leader with a mechanically supported ability to 'Form a phalanx'. That seems okay - it's an organisational thing after all; hobgoblins are not intrinsically phalangites any more than Macedonians were.

So the shift, again by my reading, is that instead of a phalanx emerging due to some innate ability of each hobgoblin (from the bottom up) it comes about from top down organisation. Individually, they're an unruly mob. With a leader they're a dangerous outfit. Hobgoblin leaders form a phalanx, while kobolds organise hit and run and Orcs get all raged up and then charge.

If you nullify the leader you will disrupt the effectiveness of the troops. Whether you kill the leader on the grid or negotiate or sneak into the camp and poison them (any of the three pillars!) their absence has a mechanical impact on those orcs, kobolds or hobgoblins without fluff text or GM fiat.

So, my initial reading is that there's still a story which can emerge from them there mechanics - but it's in different places from 4e.

Balesir

Adventurer
It's easy to adjudicate the power, because none is necessary. It's spelled out in black and white. A great many decisions during a 4e combat boil down to "which square?"
Taking the example (a push in 4e), the DM gets to choose which squares - but the player, through their own choices and the positioning of their character, can effectively limit those choices so as to include or not include the pit. That's the issue, here - whether the player has a say in choosing the stakes, or is simply at the DM's mercy and whim.

Linked to this is what the DM is deciding based upon - which I'll comment on later.

If it was just a thought, I'd have trouble arguing it, but it's experience.
And yet the fact that my experience (over ~35 years) and that of others is different suggests that, while valid, your view is not the complete picture.

Coming up with interesting situations and improving the quality of the story doesn't often happen in the middle of a fight. In between encounters, the different flavors of D&D aren't too much different, and this is where the story takes place, for the most part. So I don't really see the level of tactics in a game affecting that much.
Following on from something [MENTION=42582]pemerton[/MENTION] said earlier, making story "improvement" decisions in the middle of conflict resolution is the very last thing I want to be doing while running any RPG. I see these occasions as ones where the players' decisions, the DM's decisions and the rules system interact to determine what happens next. I guess I view it a bit like a scientific experiment; I set up the experiment in pursuit of a particular theory/story idea, but when doing the experiment itself I just want to pursue the experiment for its own sake. If I were to start adjusting the experimental setup or the experimental procedures mid-experiment with some notion of "getting better results", that would be viewed as very bad indeed. I pursue the experiment in order to get as complete and valid a result as I can; after the experiment I look at the results and think "OK, so where does that leave the theory/story? Where do we go now?"

4e style fights are less interesting to me, simply because I want to be creative during all phases of the game, and I want my players to be, too. If all encounter mechanics are codified, I'd rather flip a switch and let a computer take over during the fights, because that's what it feels like I'm doing. Enough rules to make sound decisions, not enough to remove them.
But, as per the examples pemerton and [MENTION=6690267]Dragoslav[/MENTION] have given, there are a myriad of very powerful and often thematic choices to be made in 4e combat. When I run 4e combat I am fully engaged with making choices for the "monsters" aimed at challenging the party as hard as I can. My aim is that the monsters pursue their goals as strongly as the PCs pursue theirs. Cool action and, sometimes, surprising and neat story twists come out of this.

If, instead of thinking (in the role of the monsters) "how can I achieve my goal?" I am thinking (as a DM) "how do I want this encounter to play out?", as far as I'm concerned I'm doing it wrong. How the encounter plays out is not up to me - it's what will come out of the collision of player decisions, monster decisions and the rules system. In my role as "storyteller", I will just have to deal with whatever that outcome turns out to be.

As far as I can tell, the mission statement is to create a game that unites D&D players. It may well be that people playing games that do not want to use the D&D IP are not considered to be a high priority in that.
This might well be true. Until 4e I was, at best, a lukewarm D&D player. Most of my RPG time was with other systems.

I do not think they are trying to make a new version of GURPS here.
In the light of which, it's somewhat ironic to me that GURPS actually supports a playstyle a good deal closer to the playtest rules than to the 4e play style! :)

Agamon

Adventurer

There is a perceived notion of this, but Mearls has stated a few times, most recently on the reddit AMA, that they aren't trying to make everyone happy (that would be foolish), but what they are trying to do is make a game adaptable to different play styles. If people are happy playing what they are already playing, then that's great for them.

Like he said, if they were trying to steal another games' players, stealing Diablo 3 players would be a bigger pool than any other RPG games' players. So the better idea is, don't aim for anything like that.

Our experiences here are completely the opposite. For integration of story elements and mechanics, 4e is one of the stronger games I know. (It's not on the same level as HeroWars/Quest, say, which uses freefrom descriptors as its key mechanical units in character building.) And if you're wondering what I've got in mind, it's the examples in this post and upthread.

I think your examples and reasoning as to why you like 4E makes sense and works well for you. The difficulty for someone like me, though, is when the story the designers make doesn't fit with the story I'm expecting.

In the PH 4E a paladin has no mount. A paladin can't buy a lance using the PH. He has no ride skill so must figure out another skill to use in its place and convince the DM that that skill works in any skill challenges (back to DM fiat). A paladin is not a paragon of virtue any longer.

In this case, the designers created a completely new version of the paladin that in few cases modeled the paladin of 1E, 2E, or 3E. As the player, trying to get a story out of the rules provided in the PH was impossible without DM fiat. As a DM, I had a tremendous amount of work to work around the missing rules for paladins (lance, ride, mount, paragon of virtue etc.).

I don't want that in 5E. If you want a paladin that walks everywhere at mid-levels, carries a battleaxe, and steals from people I want you to have that. I want to be able to have a knight in shining armor--lance, skilled rider, mount, and paragon of virtue.

No previous edition allows both easily. If 5E does it will a major accomplishment.

Of course, that still means negotiating between DM and player. Expectations for what a paladin is will have to be figured out ahead of time. But if the paladin class is marked as advanced or complicated and guidelines/advice for discussion between DM and player are given, 5E could allow for real choice about paladins for the first time in the history of D&D.

Will you still get story out of the mechanics? I hope so. But at the expense of me having to tell my story the way the designers want to tell the story? I hope not.

pemerton

Legend
That might be true. But 4e players don't seem to fit your description.

pemerton

Legend
In the PH 4E a paladin has no mount. A paladin can't buy a lance using the PH. He has no ride skill so must figure out another skill to use in its place and convince the DM that that skill works in any skill challenges (back to DM fiat). A paladin is not a paragon of virtue any longer.
4e doesn't have very strong mounted combat rules, I agree.

I don't agree a paladin is not a paragon of virtue. Look at Valiant Smite (the paladin gets a bonus to attack when surrounded by multiple foes), Holy Smite (do radiant damage - purges undead), the various immediate actions that divert damage from allies or punish enemies who attack them, the various abilities that deliver healing to allies. Plus the paragon paths, including options like Questing Knight.

Plus the fact that paladins will be wearing plate and carrying heavy shield, making them unable to sneak.

The knightly, chivalric paladin is alive and well within the 4e mechanics.

jadrax

Adventurer
That might be true. But 4e players don't seem to fit your description.

I am pretty sure, in fact 99% certain, that Nentir Vale is going to be supported. So whatever mechanical differences between common D&D monsters are needed will be provided, the same as Forgotten Realms, Eberon, Dark Sun or whatever previously published work.

But if you homebrew setting has Orcs not tactically acting as Orcs in a published setting, then your going to have to do some work.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases