My PHB - Collectors item or recycle bin?

BelgarathTAO

First Post
Greetings -

This has been bugging me for a while now. I have a 3rd Edition Players Handbook that is an obvious bad print. The first few chapters start out as Players handbook chapters, and then change to DMG chapters. Only the first 2-3 chapters (it's not in front of me right now). It is missing several tables, and most of the information about base attack bonus and stuff, but after the character classes chapter it is fine.

So was this released and then recalled? Is it a rare collectable? This was given to me by a friend, but I have no idea how he got it.

If you need anymore info, let me know, and I can look it over this evening. Thanks,

Belgarath the Ancient One

Balgus

First Post
I'm just wondering who would collect something like this?

I mean, as a gamer, I would like a playable book. Something like that is junk to me. i would take it back to the store and ask them to trade me for a new book (wait for the revised edition to come out in June)

:D

BelgarathTAO

First Post
Well, for the most part is is playable, and besides the fact that I didn't buy it, it was just given to me, I have had it for over a year, so I doubt I can take it back.

As far as who would collect this, it seems like just about anything is "collectable" these days, so I was just curious.

Actually, the thread about the revised editions is what got me thinking about this, since everytime I open it up I consider if I should replace it. I will most likely wait at this point.

DarkSoldier

First Post
I think you have a misprint on hand, and you have the right to contact WotC about your bad printing and exchange it for a good one.

At least, you should be able to; a company providing a product usually implies that the product is free from defects, and if you get a majorly defected product, they are obligated to exchange it for a good one.

diaglo

Adventurer
sounds to me like you got one of the playtesters versions. the one they had out before the release of the 1st printing of the PHB.

BelgarathTAO

First Post
diaglo said:
sounds to me like you got one of the playtesters versions. the one they had out before the release of the 1st printing of the PHB.

Is there a way that I would know if it is a playtest copy? I don't remember any markings indicating it as such...

ladyofdragons

First Post
a player in our group had a similar situation, his PHB skipped skills & feats and had two combat chapters, which made it kinda worthless. it was a first printing, not a playtest copy. He took it back to our FLGS and got it exchanged, but I don't think that's possible for you since you didn't buy it. Though you may want to check with your FLGS, if you're in good with them they may exchange it for you through their supplier.

drnuncheon

Explorer
Actually, it sounds like the page signatures got swapped. If the change occurs at page 32 (or a multiple thereof), that's definitely what happened - you got a set of pages swapped in from the DMG.

Generally, signature-swapped printings aren't worth anything, except a free book from the publisher if you send it back.

J

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases