Best Big Finish Audio

Herschel

Adventurer
I really enjoy Paul McGann's style as The Doctor, for one. He's less manic than Tennant or Smith and less "battle worn" than Eccleston. He seems to have a great sense of wonder about the universe still and he's also somewhat paternal in his manorisms, especially regarding Lucie. His humor is also more wry and understated.

He's also a bit more of an...optimist (?) about people. Where Eccleston, Hartnell, Pertwee, Colin Baker and McCoy were a bit more gruff in their acknowledgement of new people McGann exudes a more.....caring persona. He's confident, but his cocky moments aren't generally as abrasive as most portrayals. He has that Tom Baker ease about him without the goofyness.

There's also occasional jokes about the hair. Reportedly he wanted a crew cut or very short hair (ala what Eccleston had later) but the producers put him in a long, curly wig for the movie. They have some fun with that.

Lucie's a club girl from Blackpool and brassy. She's sharp and young ala Rose, but she's edgier and doesn't seem like a direct knock-off. Her introduction is she's teleported inside the Tardis and we find out a bit later it's by the Timelords forcing her in to a witness protection program. She makes a good companion.

There's also The Headhunter, a bounty hunter hired to track down Lucie and she employs a girl named Karen, who worked with Lucie for the very brief time she was at the job where she witnesses what she shouldn't have. There's other interesting stuff but that would be giving away story points and spoiling some things. We get to meet Lucie's Aunt Pat in a couple of stories and it's a nice turn.

The stories themselves are generally very solid too. I enjoyed the Lucie ones the most after the first few so I collected the rest of the first season then purchased the second season outright. I'm generally not an audiobook guy but the Big Finish ones are Radio Dramas and I enjoy them a great deal.

Last edited:

sabrinathecat

Explorer
They're mostly good. Most of the best ideas from the new TV show came from Big Finish, as did some of the actors (including David Tennent).
Really, it depends on which Doctor you like best. Colin Baker has repeatedly said that BFP allowed him to play the Doctor they way he wanted, instead of the way John Nathan Turner ordered him to. Paul McGann also gets a chance to flesh out (and live down) what he had from the Fox TV movie.
There are some less-than-satisfying stories. But only a few. They've put out about 200 now, and that's just their main line. Of them, there are maybe 5 or 6 I didn't like. That's a pretty good ratio.
Oh, how good are they? Big Finish managed to get Janet Fielding to show up as Teegan for one episode, and she had such a good time she was willing to come back for more.

sabrinathecat

Explorer
Holy Smeg!!! Big Finish has put the first 50 of their main line of Doctor Who stories on sale for about $3 each. (Download as opposed to shipping CDs)
They're usually $13-15, or more if you want them to ship you an actual physical disk.

Remove ads