D&D Movie/TV Dungeons & Dragons 3 Movie Trailer

delericho

Legend
Also making a D&D movie is quite hard since everybody has a different opinion on what makes D&D, so unless they go for an adaptation of a novel series I don't think it will work.

Well, there was that Dragonlance movie of a couple of years ago...

In all honesty, I don't think it matters. You can have good adaptations (LotR) and bad adaptations (Dragonlance, the new Conan), good original stories (Um... Your Majesty?) and bad original stories (D&D). They should worry a whole lot less on trying to capture "what makes D&D", instead focus first on making a good film; at least then they'd get one thing right.

In all sincerity (and to echo some sentiments above), the second movie wasn't terrible.

IMO, the second film is better than the first in every single metric - better story, better writing, better actors (shockingly), better FX...

But it's a whole hell of a lot less fun. By improving the quality, they managed to elevate it out of "so bad it's good" territory, and squarely into just "bad". At least with the first film you get to mock the Jeremy Irons vs Thora Birch duel of over/under-acting.

Adso

First Post
I know that TSR licensed the movie rights to Courtney Solomon many years ago, despite his never having directed anything. He was eventually able to get the first film made, with himself as director. He was also involved in the second film (producer?), and I expect is involved in this one in some capacity. I imagine that this must be the same license that still hasn't expired - otherwise, it supposes that WotC have reclaimed the rights and then licensed them out to the wrong people again.

This is true. And as long as he keeps making movies within a certain time period he gets to retain those rights.

When I worked at Wizards, we were having a meeting bemoaning this fact and I told my boss, "give me a car, some cash, don't ask any questions, and I'll get those movie rights back." I was told Hasbro doesn't do things like that. East Coast companies these days. They've lost their way. They have no will. ;)

I remember vaguely that that the 4E Book of Vile Darkness box was tied to a Sci-Fi (SyFy ?) channel TV movie. Might it be this movie since it also has the tagline: Book of Vile Darkness?

Ok, WHAT THE HELL??!??!?

We have:

Dungeons & Dragons (2000) - IMDb 3.6 stars
Dungeons & Dragons: Wrath of the Dragon God (2005) - IMDb 4.8 stars
Dragonlance: Dragons of Autumn Twilight (Video 2008) - IMDb 4.8 stars
Dungeons & Dragons (TV Series 1983) - IMDb (The old cartoon got 7.8 stars)

Compared to:

Transformers (2007) - IMDb 7.2 stars.
Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen (2009) - IMDb 5.9 stars.
Transformers: Dark of the Moon (2011) - IMDb 6.3 stars.

G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra (2009) - IMDb 5.6 stars (and complete with a Wayans).

Battleship (2012) - IMDb 6.2 stars

Even
My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic (TV Series 2010) - IMDb 8.0 stars.

All of the other Hasbro I.P. at least breaks 5 stars. We have freakin' Jeremy Irons in a movie with 3.6 stars?

COME ON!

Also, please note the following, in development:
Candy Land (????) - IMDb (apparently starring Adam Sandler)

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Given that this movie will embarrass D&D gamers everywhere and besmirch our collective hobby, I say we take action! Let's find a way to force the production studio to change this monstrosity of a movie's name to that of an RPG that matches this movie's quality.

Ergo, I hereby call for this film to be renamed Synnibarr: The Book of Vile Dorkness. Who's with me?

Ramaster

Adventurer
Man, I hope they get back that chick that played the wizard on the first movie (I think her name was Marina). She was smoking hot.

Also, the guy that convinced Jeremy Irons to star on the first one must have one of those rare Glibness Potions!

Come to think of it, if D&D was made on 2000, that woman is 12 years older now… WOW, D&D Was 12 years ago!? Man, I' M OLD

Last edited:

Dragoslav

First Post
Given that this movie will embarrass D&D gamers everywhere and besmirch our collective hobby, I say we take action! Let's find a way to force the production studio to change this monstrosity of a movie's name to that of an RPG that matches this movie's quality.

Ergo, I hereby call for this film to be renamed Synnibarr: The Book of Vile Dorkness. Who's with me?
You beat me to it. I was going to say:

"Book of Vile Darkness?" More like "Movie of Juvenile Dorkness."
Yeah! I mean, really, the only thing good about the first movie was that he got killed! You expect to satisfy anyone with this if you don't have Snails to kill?!?
Bringing back Snails in every movie just to have him die in overblown and satisfying ways would be hilarious, but too brilliant for the makers of these hokey movies. ;)

Ramaster

Adventurer
Do you know how to make an ass-kicking D&D movie?! Bring Vin F'ing Diessel and make him star AND direct it. He has stated before that he is a D&D fan. Also, he was on the design team of those Riddik games that got very good reviews.

Other than that, yeah, make a good Drizzt movie and watch the nerds give you money (Myself included!).

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
Yeah! I mean, really, the only thing good about the first movie was that he got killed! You expect to satisfy anyone with this if you don't have Snails to kill?!?

It could be quite brilliant. Have him die in a different, hard-to-watch way each time, like Kenny in South Park. "Oh my god! He killed Snails! You barghest!"

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases