D&D Movie/TV Dungeons & Dragons 3 Movie Trailer

S'mon

Legend
TO: WotC/Hasbro
SUBJECT: Rescue of your ip from idiot film studio and production of better movies.

Buy back the rights. Take the loss. Then hire Joss Whedon and his capable people to build a new franchise around the name. Give him the budget needed to get it going. That is all.

D&D is not LoTR. I think Whedon would do a much better job. He did a decent Traveller movie, after all. ;)

In particular, a successful D&D movie should be lowish budget, quick, efficient, witty, and have some PC mortality - with ideally replacement PCs joining in mid-movie. :lol:

hopeless

Adventurer
Do you Like the Wrath of the Dragon God?

I'm probably going against the consensus here, but I loved D&D 2. It was exactly the right level of cheap and camp for ironic enjoyment - I hope this one is the same - most Syfy movies are, let's face it!

No I liked the second movie too, the first one made me want to rerun it to demonstrate that only Richard O'Brien and Tom Baker were the only parts that truly shine... okay Jeremy Irons would still be the villain but Damodar had better stay off the purple lollisticks!

hopeless

Adventurer
Oh yes?

Hey! Some moderator moderate this immoderate moderator, right now.

Obviously, I did not mind dying for Ridley (who would?), but my death was really the elf's fault for dissuading the dwarf from coming in and lending a hand. Never trust the folk with the pointy ears.

Hey rogue not only did you leave behind your rope and grapple you also forgot that you can not only climb but leave said rope and grapple off the side so mr purple lips would go and look and most probably try to cut said rope.

Even if dangling on said rope it would have been far less damage to fall from than say off the top and thats unless you kick said fighter off the top whilst he was looking down at the dangling rope whilst you were hiding... yes thats another skill you have the dwarf stayed where he was because he's a barbarian and not a climber you ever try climbing in that armour and yes it does stink!

And what was your spot check again?

A trap something you're supposed to be able to detect and a pit full of porridge no less!

Blaming the dwarf doesn't cover the oh so many levels of fail and they even had beholders being used as guard dogs for god's sake!
Guard dogs would have hidden their muzzles in embarassment at how badly those beholders did their job!!!

There are halflings out there who'd do a better job than you and none of them are rogues!!!

And lets not talk about how angry Lidda is right now ok?!

lin_fusan

First Post
I think Planescape could make an excellent miniseries.

It has a visually distinct style that would "pop" (or confuse audiences).

It can take place anywhere, but the initial setting would be Sigil, and thus urban. This way you can film indoors or on a set and avoid the Lord of the Rings expansive terrain tracking shot (ie. must film in Canada).

The creature and steampunky stuff would be great "eye protein" from a Guillermo del Toro-type of director.

Stories would involve beliefs which would be good fodder for today's modern sensibilities (with religion and political beliefs charging public discussion), but would also force the story to focus on individuals instead of the broad, generic good fighting generic bad for the generic good of the generic world.

But I am an unashamed Planescape fan, so I'm very biased.

Quickleaf

Legend
In particular, a successful D&D movie should be lowish budget, quick, efficient, witty, and have some PC mortality - with ideally replacement PCs joining in mid-movie. :lol:

How'd you settle on low-budget and "quick" being necessary for a successful D&D movie? The craptacular D&D movies to date have been low budget and rather rushed thru production.

Klaus

First Post
Several recent movies were "D&D movies" in all but name:
- Solomon Kane
- Season of the Witch
- Black Death
- Centurion

Change a visual element here and there, change a region or religion name, and you're pretty close to what a D&D movie could look like.

Mercutio01

First Post
Solomon Kane

I've been waiting for this one to come to America for almost 3 years. I've all but given up hope.

EDIT: HBO has proven that good fantasy can be done well with "A Game of Thrones." That and the Hobbit/LotR are where they need to look for inspiration for D&D films. Hell, the Sean Connery "Dragonheart" is a better D&D movie than the actual D&D movies.

Last edited:

Klaus

First Post
I've been waiting for this one to come to America for almost 3 years. I've all but given up hope.

EDIT: HBO has proven that good fantasy can be done well with "A Game of Thrones." That and the Hobbit/LotR are where they need to look for inspiration for D&D films. Hell, the Sean Connery "Dragonheart" is a better D&D movie than the actual D&D movies.
Dragonheart was a bit too "clean", visually. Now, "Dragonslayer" is another matter!

As for Solomon Kane, I think you can order the UK DVD from Amazon.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases