Blog: Reacting to the Reaction

Ahnehnois

First Post
I like reactions. Being able to act when it's not your turn somewhat mitigates the artificiality of having turns in the first place. It also presents new tactical options. It seems like they're on the right track in terms of keeping it simple.

dd.stevenson

Super KY
It is one of those words that dosen't always mean what people think it means.

I think it's an abuse, not a misuse. As in, "boy, I really abused myself some alcohol last night!"

In other words, I think there are better terms to describe his design choices ("design choice" comes to mind), but instead the author went with a buzzword. And that's fine--it is what it is...

... but I find it interesting because the motif of borrowed tech sector terminology appeals to certain market segments but not to others. (You aren't likely, for example, to hear Paizo or Goodman Games describe their design choices as "technologies".) And I find that off-putting because, as was pretty clear by the tone of my post, I'm not a part of the segment that this otherwise fine article is being pitched to.

Reacting to the Reaction

Tom LaPille has posted a blog entry on the 5e action economy and I'm really not impressed.

He's trying to present it in opposition to the 4e action economy when it's nothing more than a thinly warmed over version of the 4e action economy.

He starts with a simple misunderstanding of the 4e action economy and from that makes a false comparison between the 4e action economy and the 5e action economy. He claims that the 4e action economy is Standard/Move/Minor, and the D&D Next one is Action/Move/Interrupt.

That's an apples to oranges comparison he's running. First he's comparing an on-turn 4e turn to a full round in 5e. Second he's ignoring free actions and actions that are part of your move. Third he's ignoring certain spells that take their own specific undefined action type in 5e (Healing Word, I'm looking at you).

The Reaction Action, his Great New Thing is neither more nor less than an Immediate Action in 4e. It's something you can do once per round as a response. The only difference is that he's cut off parts of the design space by cutting out interrupt actions.

So we have

(4e) Standard Action vs (5e) Action
(4e) Move vs (5e) Move Action
(4e) Free Action vs (5e) Free action
(4e) Minor Action vs (5e) ill-defined mishmash including 5ft actions, spells that allow other spells, and free actions that somehow don't count as actions
(4e) Immediate Action vs (5e) Reaction Action

(4e) Opportunity Action vs (5e) Goblin Conga Line, all running past and stabbing

Now the Opportunity Attack thing is a debate for another time. But would someone please explain how fuzzing up the minor actions, and reducing the design space by removing the possibility of interrupts is in any way simplifying the action economy?

As for his claim about people stressing how to use their minor actions, that's an easy problem to fix in game design. You add a minor 'aid' action that gives an ally a +1 bonus - and then make the player describe how the aid happens. This should not be hard.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases