D&D 4th Edition Playtest Update

What's on your mind?

+ Log in or register to post
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Playtest Update

Hybrid View

Playtest Update

We've had a few weeks pass since the public playtest started, and Mike's going to take this opportunity to give you all some information about what we're addressing now that we've received valuable feedback from those who are participating in the playtest. With 60% of people happy with the way D&D Next is headed, the playtester feedback has revealed the following list of focus areas:
    • Combat options (tactical and narrative rules modules)
    • Fighter options
    • Surprise
    • Critical hits
    • Skills
    • Resting and healing
    The next version of the playtest rules should be expected by the end of summer, if not sooner.

Read Playtest Update on D&D Insider here!
    Last edited by Morrus; Monday, 25th June, 2012 at 02:04 PM.

Waghalter (Lvl 7)

° Ignore CasvalRemDeikun
    Wow, only 60% is happy with the direction DDN is headed. And they are spinning this as a GOOD thing. Less than two thirds. I would be willing to bet a good portion of that 40% is 4E fans. So much for unification. They seem to be trying to unify with an axe.

Lama (Lvl 13)

Blog Entries
    I Defended The Walls!

° Ignore Jack99
    My communities:

Like you, perhaps? Jeez with the negative rethorics all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by CasvalRemDeikun View Post
    Wow, only 60% is happy with the direction DDN is headed. And they are spinning this as a GOOD thing. Less than two thirds. I would be willing to bet a good portion of that 40% is 4E fans. So much for unification. They seem to be trying to unify with an axe.

Really, words fail me...

Warder
    I LIKE COMBAT AS WAR!!!!!!

the essence of D&D is "The thrill of victory the agony of a natural 1" - Mike Mearls, Gen Con 2012

Starting From the Ground Up - ACKS Economic system
    Starting From the Grounds Up, Part II - ACKS Economic system

Lama (Lvl 13)

° Ignore jbear
    oO Err ... how did you manage to make something bad out of the fact that 60% are happy with their first playtest. They aren't going to get it right with the first try. That's the point of the playtest.

I'm a 4e fan. I am quite happy with the new direction with a few caveats. Well quite a few, but they are all things that I can sense will be addressed once their is a solid core to build upon. So I remain interested, and open to giving my feedback.

I thought that was a very interesting update. It falls into line with pretty much all of the comments I made, so I'm pretty happy. I think it's really great what they are doing. They deserve applause for the spirit they are handling this.
    'I am a predator...the predator improves the race...I kill but not out of hate.'
    Frank Herbert: Emperor God of Dune

Spellbinder (Lvl 16)

° Ignore Ahnehnois
    My communities:

Wow, only 60% is happy with the direction DDN is headed. And they are spinning this as a GOOD thing. Less than two thirds.
    If 60% of people were happy with any of the other editions, we wouldn't have a 5th. The fanbase is so fractured that this really isn't a bad number. If they'd said anything higher, I'd find it pretty suspicious.

I would be willing to bet a good portion of that 40% is 4E fans. So much for unification. They seem to be trying to unify with an axe.
    Not sure where this rather divisive conclusion comes from, and I'm pretty skeptical of it.
    Certainly I am not thrilled with what we've seen so far, and I am not in that crowd.
    "Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose"

Waghalter (Lvl 7)

° Ignore pauljathome
    My communities:

Quote Originally Posted by Ahnehnois View Post
    If 60% of people were happy with any of the other editions, we wouldn't have a 5th. The fanbase is so fractured that this really isn't a bad number. If they'd said anything higher, I'd find it pretty suspicious.
    That is 60% of the people who downloaded the playtest materials and provided feedback.

It is pretty much guaranteed that, in general, the people who participated in the playtest AND were sufficiently satisfied to provide feedback are going to be more enthusiastic than those who didn't.

No idea how much more enthusiastic, of course. But the actual numbers of potential customers who like the current direction is pretty much bound to be LESS than that 60%

Spellbinder (Lvl 16)

° Ignore Ahnehnois
    My communities:

Quote Originally Posted by pauljathome View Post
    That is 60% of the people who downloaded the playtest materials and provided feedback.

It is pretty much guaranteed that, in general, the people who participated in the playtest AND were sufficiently satisfied to provide feedback are going to be more enthusiastic than those who didn't.

No idea how much more enthusiastic, of course. But the actual numbers of potential customers who like the current direction is pretty much bound to be LESS than that 60%
    True. Nonetheless, what is a realistic goal in this context?

That total customer base includes kids and people old enough to be their grandparents, people from all over the world with all sorts of different ideas about what should be, and many people who are strongly partisan with regards to a particular edition or style or mechanic. There's definitely plenty of room to make a game less divisive and exlusionary than the one on the market right now, but 100% consensus or anything close to it is not a realistic goal.
    "Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose"

Waghalter (Lvl 7)

° Ignore CasvalRemDeikun
    Quote Originally Posted by pauljathome View Post

Exactly. If those polled were an accurate sample of D&D fans worldwide and 60% were pleased, THAT would be a pretty good sample. This, on the other hand, is people who are actually interested in 5E and potential buyers. They only have made 60% happy with the direction 5E is going. That 60% isn't necessarily composed entirely of people that preach the gospel of 5E either. Whereas the 40% is composed of people that, if 5E continues in the direction it is headed, they are likely NOT to buy it.

The reason I call 4E fans out as being a good portion of the 40% of people disatisfied with the direction 5E is headed is because Mike Mearls specifically stated that 4E fans are not feeling the love yet. It stands to reason those that are not feeling the love are also ones not pleased with the direction 5E is headed.

Myrmidon (Lvl 10)

° Ignore WheresMyD20
    My communities:

Judging from the playtest, I wouldn't buy 5e. Between racial features, class features, feats, backgrounds, themes, etc., there are way too many fiddly bonuses and rule exceptions built into each character. Keep the core simple, please.

+ Log in or register to post
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast