D&D 3E/3.5 3.5 Edition Reprints

KidSnide

Adventurer
Any chance of a reprint of the "Rules Cyclopedia"?

That would be awesome.

Seriously, a 3.5 reprint is a good idea, but it's just not as compelling as reprints of the earlier books. I still have all my 3.5 material and wouldn't buy more. I'd much rather fill in the parts of my collection I'm missing like a Rules Cyclopedia and some Planescape and Al-Qadim material from 2e.

-KS

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Did anyone else notice how, in the survey, several of the books from 2003 were for late-3.0 books, rather than 3.5, such as Ghostwalk, Savage Species, or Fiend Folio?

Did WotC not realize that? Or are they honestly considering a full-on 3.5 update to those books?

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
PDF, please

My survey comment:
PDF! PDF! PDF! PDF! PDF!

PDFs are lightweight, searchable, have zero production/distribution costs for you, and a proven customer demand. This seems like a no-brainer.
We can hope, can't we?

-- 77IM, says "PDF!" in a Steve Ballmer voice

CasvalRemDeikun

Adventurer
Wow. "Rip off?" Someone has a real hate on for Pathfinder.

If Pathfinder isnt D&D because of the rules tweaks then by your definition neither is 4E or D&DNEXT for that matter. If branding is all that matters then ,well, you got me there.

I really love the fact that people like Char here apparently have short memories and have forgotten why Pathfinder exists on the first place. Then again I'm sure that the why is irrelevant to them and he'd love to do to Pathfinder what Char does to Kishisra Zabi at the end of MS Gundam movie III.
I hate when people piggyback off the backs of the hard work of others, make minimal changes to that work, and that package it up as a new product.

The rules tweaks aren't why it isn't D&D, the lack of it being D&D is what makes it not be D&D. When I want 3.5E, I want 3.5E. Why is that so hard for some people to process?

Pathfinder exists because stealing someone else's work, whether legal or not, and then packaging it as your own is a lot easier than doing the hard work on your own.

Lwaxy

Cute but dangerous
Now now now, no edition warring, and that includes PF. ;)

The reason PF isn't called D&D is obvious, as D&D is a Wizard's trademark. And if you call it stealing to bring out work (and usually good work) on your own based on something else, then what about all the 3rd party publishers for D&D, or any pen&paper RPG that happens to use similar mechanics, or the variant versions of coke that exists, to mention something else than RPGs?

Considering that PF's strength is the setting and the adventures and APs, which Paizo has done well with 3.5 already, and that work is all of their own.

As for the topic at hand, I'd love to see PDFs, yes, but hard copies as well. We never managed to get all the core books in 3.5 (still using 3.0 versions) so getting these would be real cool. PDFs can't replace hard copies for me.

Tamlyn

Explorer
I'm thrilled to hear this. Of course, I have all the 3.5 books I'll ever need. But I've brought in a couple of brand new D&D players to my 3.5 group over the past couple of years and it's becoming increasingly difficult to find books for them.

I know I'm not the primary market for this product, but I have a big hand in recruiting their primary market as buyers.

CasvalRemDeikun

Adventurer
Now now now, no edition warring, and that includes PF. ;)

The reason PF isn't called D&D is obvious, as D&D is a Wizard's trademark. And if you call it stealing to bring out work (and usually good work) on your own based on something else, then what about all the 3rd party publishers for D&D, or any pen&paper RPG that happens to use similar mechanics, or the variant versions of coke that exists, to mention something else than RPGs?

Considering that PF's strength is the setting and the adventures and APs, which Paizo has done well with 3.5 already, and that work is all of their own.

As for the topic at hand, I'd love to see PDFs, yes, but hard copies as well. We never managed to get all the core books in 3.5 (still using 3.0 versions) so getting these would be real cool. PDFs can't replace hard copies for me.
I dunno, when someone says Go Play Pathfinder when I say I want 3.5E it is like saying Go Buy Gobots when what I want is Transformers. Or McDonald's when I want Burger King. It really didn't even need to be said. Why is it so appalling for someone to not think Pathfinder is an improvement over 3.5E. Nevermind the fact my reasoning for wanting to buy the 3.5E books again is because I no longer have them anymore. Pathfinder is not a suitable replacement for the Player's Handbook I no longer have, the DMG I no longer have, and the Monster Manual I no longer have because it isn't a brown book, blue book, AND a green book, it is none of those things.

mudbunny

Community Supporter
Wow. WotC just can't win sometimes. They stop publishing 3.5 and move to 4E, and people start screaming at them to sell the older material. They start selling older material, and you have people complaining that it is just a money grab.

There is a reason why we don't get nice things sometimes.

ShinHakkaider

Adventurer
I hate when people piggyback off the backs of the hard work of others, make minimal changes to that work, and that package it up as a new product.

The rules tweaks aren't why it isn't D&D, the lack of it being D&D is what makes it not be D&D. When I want 3.5E, I want 3.5E. Why is that so hard for some people to process?

Pathfinder exists because stealing someone else's work, whether legal or not, and then packaging it as your own is a lot easier than doing the hard work on your own.

Pathfinder exists because WOTC moved on from the 3.5 ruleset while there was still a huge audience out there who wasn't ready to leave it behind yet.

The changes to Pathfinder are not minimal. While the framework is very much the same there are many changes in the system that make gameplay on a few levels feel different at least. If you're running it like 3.5 without bothering to check for those differences then I can see why you would say what you're saying.

If I'm at my friends house and he has an idea for a story but tells me I can take the basic idea of the story and change it however I want just make sure that I give him credit for it, THAT'S STEALING? I think your your hate has blinded you somewhat to how the OGL is supposed to work.

I get it, you hate it because it was a way for some of us to continue supporting a version of the worlds greatest role-playing game, while some of you moved on to a new Official version of the the worlds greatest role-playing game. Being that Paizo is legally within their within their rights to use the OGL the way that they did to change the game I'd be careful about calling them thieves (because that's what you're doing when you say that they're stealing) because they are quite clearly NOT. If they are stealing then Green Ronin (True 20, Mutants and Masterminds) Malhavoc Press (Arcana Unearthed) Mongoose (Conan) and many others who have used the OGL to create variants are thieves too. And once again for the record? Theyre not.

ShinHakkaider

Adventurer
I dunno, when someone says Go Play Pathfinder when I say I want 3.5E it is like saying Go Buy Gobots when what I want is Transformers. Or McDonald's when I want Burger King. It really didn't even need to be said. Why is it so appalling for someone to not think Pathfinder is an improvement over 3.5E. Nevermind the fact my reasoning for wanting to buy the 3.5E books again is because I no longer have them anymore. Pathfinder is not a suitable replacement for the Player's Handbook I no longer have, the DMG I no longer have, and the Monster Manual I no longer have because it isn't a brown book, blue book, AND a green book, it is none of those things.

For the record I'm not getting at you because you get upset when people ask why dont you play Pathfinder? Honestly I get that. By all means play what you like please. What I have a problem with is that you seem to be willing to go out of your way to slander (or is it libel. Sooooooo not a lawyer...) Paizo and basically bash Pathfinder for no rational reason.

I'm assuming that you played 3.5 at one point like I did. I still have almost all of my 3.5 books. I didn't get rid of mine. Did you ditch them when you started playing 4E anticipating that you'd never go back to that system? Because then you only have yourself to blame for that one. I'm not saying that as a bad thing. If you were trying to make room for new 4E books I get it but still that's all on you.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases