D&D 3E/3.5 3.5 Edition Reprints

Holy Bovine

First Post
As the person who originally used said dictionary quoted term, lemme see if I can steer the train back onto the tracks.

I have a couple concerns with the upcoming reprints.

1. Gilded pages, what experience does everyone have with books with gilded pages? In my experience, they tend to flake an awful lot.

2. Covers, are they going to have the faux tome exterior of the originals, or is it going to be different?

3. Errata included, as in replacing the text in the book (my hope) or is it just going to be included in the back?

1) I think the gilded pages thing has been dropped - it doesn't appear in the linked text anymore (likely it was an early thought that didn't get deleted from the ad-copy by mistake)
2) I hope they make new covers for them myself. Faux leather would be really cool but likely make them too expensive. I never really liked the originals cover but I recognize the desire to keep a similar look to them.
3) I would be a little surprised if the errata wasn't incorporated into the main body of the text. Seems like a simple enough process.

Warunsun

First Post
You're still wrong, then.

If you're referring to the "main rulebook line" for Pathfinder, then you need to make a similar comparison for 3.5, which means including all of their hardcover rulebooks, as those are the direct comparisons to Pathfinder's hardcover rule supplements.
Actually, while Pathfinder has a "main rulebook line" where you can can have every rulebook automatically pre-ordered and send directly to your home, this was never done with Dungeons & Dragons. WotC sells through distributors and retailers only. Also, since the Pathfinder main rulebooks says you can use all of your existing v3.5 D&D books then it by definition includes all of the complexities of the baseline v3.5 in the Pathfinder fork. Think about that. :) Besides, the Book of Nine Swords mentioned is not a core or main rulebook by any definition.
Isn't arguing about the complexity of 3.5 versus the complexity of Pathfinder a little like arguing whether the pot or the kettle is more black?
You are probably right! One thing is for certain: D&D will never be so complicated again!

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Actually, while Pathfinder has a "main rulebook line" where you can can have every rulebook automatically pre-ordered and send directly to your home, this was never done with Dungeons & Dragons. WotC sells through distributors and retailers only.

Which is completely irrelevant to the topic at hand. The fact that Paizo has a subscription service (in addition to pay-for-downloads and direct mail-orders, two other things WotC never had) doesn't mean much in terms of comparing the complexity of the systems...especially given that ALL of their products can be had through their various subscription lines.

Just because you subscribe to the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game line of products doesn't somehow make them all "Core" anymore than WotC's hardcover books were.

Also, since the Pathfinder main rulebooks says you can use all of your existing v3.5 D&D books then it by definition includes all of the complexities of the baseline v3.5 in the Pathfinder fork. Think about that. :)

I did need to think about how completely crazy that line of logic was. Seriously. :-S

You're saying that something being "compatible" with something else means that it "by definition includes all of the complexities" of it? Did you not read the series of examples I posted where it out-and-out changes several "complexities" for simpler alternatives? Something can be compatible with something else without it having all of the former's subsystems and mechanics.

Besides, the Book of Nine Swords mentioned is not a core or main rulebook by any definition.

If you want to make a comparison that's even remotely accurate, you need to compare the same things, rather than apples and oranges. If you want to make a comparison about the entire system of Pathfinder with all of its expansion books, then you need to do the same for WotC. If you just want to make a comparison just with WotC's core rulebooks, then you need to do that with Pathfinder also.

Think about that. :p

Warunsun

First Post
If you want to make a comparison that's even remotely accurate, you need to compare the same things, rather than apples and oranges. If you want to make a comparison about the entire system of Pathfinder with all of its expansion books, then you need to do the same for WotC. If you just want to make a comparison just with WotC's core rulebooks, then you need to do that with Pathfinder also.

Think about that. :p
I sure did. I am not including all of Pathfinder's game books with new feats and prestige classes and such. I was only commenting on their "rulebook line".

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
I sure did. I am not including all of Pathfinder's game books with new feats and prestige classes and such. I was only commenting on their "rulebook line".

Yes, and comparing all of the "line" to just WotC's Core Rulebooks is an unbalanced comparison.

CasvalRemDeikun

Adventurer
1) I think the gilded pages thing has been dropped - it doesn't appear in the linked text anymore (likely it was an early thought that didn't get deleted from the ad-copy by mistake)
2) I hope they make new covers for them myself. Faux leather would be really cool but likely make them too expensive. I never really liked the originals cover but I recognize the desire to keep a similar look to them.
3) I would be a little surprised if the errata wasn't incorporated into the main body of the text. Seems like a simple enough process.
1. Hmmm, that is is odd. They seem to have replaced the statement about gilded pages with a note about new covers. Oh well, this is no longer a concern for me.
2. I always liked the faux-tome covers the books had, it made it feel like you had a book of hidden knowledge. I have always hated books with action-pose heroes on the cover. I am hoping they do something like tome covers for the reprints. Without them, it just wouldn't be 3.X.
3. That makes two of us. Still, a lot of the in-line changes might cause page changes and whatnot, which might make referencing difficult. I hope they can pull it off though.

...maybe they can take Mialee out of the book somehow. Yuck!

Warunsun

First Post
Now available on Amazon.com:
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0786962461/"]Premium Dungeons & Dragons 3.5 Player's Handbook with Errata[/ame]

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0786962453/"]Premium Dungeons & Dragons Dungeon 3.5 Master's Guide with Errata[/ame]

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0786962445/"]Premium Dungeons & Dragons 3.5 Monster Manual with Errata[/ame]

UK:
[ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Premium-Dungeons-Dragons-Players-Handbook/dp/0786962461/"]Premium Dungeons & Dragons 3.5 Player's Handbook with Errata (UK)[/ame]

[ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Premium-Dungeons-Dragons-Dungeon-Masters/dp/0786962453/"]Premium Dungeons & Dragons Dungeon 3.5 Master's Guide with Errata (UK)[/ame]

[ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Premium-Dungeons-Dragons-Monster-Manual/dp/0786962445/"]Premium Dungeons & Dragons 3.5 Monster Manual with Errata (UK)[/ame]

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases