D&D 3E/3.5 3.5 Edition Reprints

Lwaxy

Cute but dangerous
I dunno, when someone says Go Play Pathfinder when I say I want 3.5E it is like saying Go Buy Gobots when what I want is Transformers. Or McDonald's when I want Burger King. It really didn't even need to be said. Why is it so appalling for someone to not think Pathfinder is an improvement over 3.5E. Nevermind the fact my reasoning for wanting to buy the 3.5E books again is because I no longer have them anymore. Pathfinder is not a suitable replacement for the Player's Handbook I no longer have, the DMG I no longer have, and the Monster Manual I no longer have because it isn't a brown book, blue book, AND a green book, it is none of those things.

Of course you want the books for D&D. That's a no-brainer. ;) I get that. Same here, definitely.

From wanting one something specific to claiming something similar is just stealing other's work is a difference, though. I just don't want the thread to turn ugly.

ShinHakkaider

Adventurer
Wow. WotC just can't win sometimes. They stop publishing 3.5 and move to 4E, and people start screaming at them to sell the older material. They start selling older material, and you have people complaining that it is just a money grab.

There is a reason why we don't get nice things sometimes.

Yeah I dont get that either. Listen, even when my RPG company of choice has a product that I'm not interested in I dont go into forums to take a steaming dump all over it (and yes there are people who do that very thing). If there are people out there who are going to enjoy that product while I won't more power to them.

I'm not the audience for the 3.5 reprints as my 3.5 books are in great condition. Like I said, if they decided to reprint the Rules Compendium? I'd be all over that just to be able to have that on my shelf without having to pay an arm and a leg for a used copy.

Thalain

First Post
Imagine a world where players of First, Second, Third, 3.5, Pathfinder, Fourth and Next edition all lived together in peace.

Imagine it further where they all have access to their needed materials, at any time they need.

Wizards: Reprint as many books as can profitably be sold and release the rest of them into a free license or some sort of Insider. What if we all could get a subscription that would get us three - ANY three - watermarked PDFs of whatever D&D content we missed for each month, from all of those that are not being reprinted. THAT would be an Insider I'd be first to subscribe to. And get my wife another subscription just so we can get six books...

CasvalRemDeikun

Adventurer
I'm assuming that you played 3.5 at one point like I did. I still have almost all of my 3.5 books. I didn't get rid of mine. Did you ditch them when you started playing 4E anticipating that you'd never go back to that system? Because then you only have yourself to blame for that one. I'm not saying that as a bad thing. If you were trying to make room for new 4E books I get it but still that's all on you.

Originally Posted by CasvalRemDeikun
Apparently I gave my 3.5E books to my brother (I say apparently because I had them, they disappeared, and were found at his apartment, but this was after <ACRONYM title="D&D 4th Edition">4E</ACRONYM> had come out, so no big deal), so I will pick a set of these up. I wonder if they are keeping the regular cover art of doing something similar to what they are doing with the 1E reprints.

Seriously, it was in my first :):):):)ing post on this subject.

Welcome to ignore.

No need to be rude about it. It's easy to miss out on some info now and then. - Lwaxy

Last edited:

CasvalRemDeikun

Adventurer
Of course you want the books for D&D. That's a no-brainer. ;) I get that. Same here, definitely.

From wanting one something specific to claiming something similar is just stealing other's work is a difference, though. I just don't want the thread to turn ugly.
Admittedly, it is a hair trigger response. But I don't want to play Pathfinder, I play D&D. Yes, the name, and all of its trappings is actually a big friggin' deal. I want my Beholders and Illithids and whatever the hell else is D&D IP. I want my three books. These books will replace something I have but my brother now has (in Afghanistan, BTW).

Sorry for devolving the thread into an edition war. I just REALLY hate that people immediately jump to GO PLAY PATHFINDER when what I want is 3.5E.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Or McDonald's when I want Burger King.

You say that now, but one day you'll wake up with the King. And when that happens, he'll ask you...

Where_is_your_God_now_The_king.jpg

kitsune9

Adventurer
We're pleased to offer 3.5 Edition Core Rulebook premium reprints releasing this September! These 3.5 Edition premium reprints feature new covers, gilded edges, and the latest errata. So, be sure to pick yours up at your friendly local book or gaming store!

Shucks, I was hoping for 3.0. That's okay.

BECMI boxes....pleeeeeeeaaaaaase?

Tsuga C

Adventurer
Big Bucks!

Why not just buy Pathfinder? Its better written, streamlined, better organized, and (likely) cheaper.

The Beastiary II is $39.99 at my local Barnes & Noble. On Amazon it's cheaper ($31.49), but it's still not "cheap" by any means because you're looking at spending $150 to get the core books (Core Rules, Game Mastery Guide, Beastiary I, II, & III) when you throw in sales tax.

CasvalRemDeikun

Adventurer
The Beastiary II is $39.99 at my local Barnes & Noble. On Amazon it's cheaper ($31.49), but it's still not "cheap" by any means because you're looking at spending $150 to get the core books (Core Rules, Game Mastery Guide, Beastiary I, II, & III) when you throw in sales tax.
The Core Rulebook+Game Master Guide+Bestiary are 50+40+40=$130. The 3.5E reprints will top out at $120 for the total, could be as low as $90.

Dire Bare

Legend
This is kind of sad. It seems almost like they are telling us Fourth Edition was a mistake. It also looks like they are trying to win back some of the fanbase that gravitated towards Pathfinder. I seriously doubt it will work.

Ah, the sweet smell of desperation.

EDIT: My reply was too cranky, just tired of the constant and ridiculous WotC hate. Yeah, I know, welcome to the internets.

Why?

I rather see it as:

Hey, we made a mistake in not supporting earlier editions. Rest calm, we won´t stop selling 4e when 5e is released. Dear customer, it is your choice which version of the game you want to play.

Very few gaming companies support past editions of their games. WotC, and TSR before them, never really have, and really, aren't now. As I noted above, these are core book reprints only, with maybe a "Best Of" compilation at some point.

Not supporting older editions isn't a mistake, but rather a choice. A common one, and probably a smart one. I'm glad they are releasing limited edition reprints of the 1E and 3E core books, and I hope they follow up with 2E, "BECMI", and even the original pamplets! Even one for 4E (maybe merging the original core books with the Essentials updates)! But I wouldn't expect much beyond that, except for possibly opening up the back catalog again for digital sales.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases