Gaming w/Jemal: Mutant Apocalypse Issue 2: Vegas!

Shayuri

First Post
Cassandra scowls and shakes her head, conflicted.

"That guy. We can't let him loose...but...if we leave him here, doesn't that help their research? And...it's a terrible thing to do, even to someone like that. Damnit!"

She paces nervously while the plans are made, not having much to offer herself. Her powers are largely muscular. She'll be needed if the infiltration runs into resistance.

(Gonna try some Well Informed; will roll asap :))

jkason

First Post
Terry Quinlan, The Grid

OOC: ENWorld went into maintenence mode yesterday literally as soon as I hit reply for this thread. Ugh. Sorry for the delay

"The cameras aren't just an obstacle, you know," Terry says. "Whether or not I can shut them down, until I do that, I can also use them so pre-scout our route. But, obviously it doesn't hurt to have a second pair of eyes on things.

"I'm not keen on leaving any mutants here, no matter what their powers are,"
he adds. "Let's at least wait to decide until we're in the lab. There might be options there we haven't considered."

[sblock=ooc]I've not been using them as much, but Terry does have Remote Sensing (cameras) and Radio Sense, as noted above. So, as we move, he should be able to use the security feeds to monitor the way ahead and / or 'listen' for radio chatter that might point out security patrol routes.

Rolling now for his security hack. Fingers crossed....

ETA: Nat 20. Sweet. :D[/sblock]

Zerith

First Post
After Felix had made his previous statement something clicked, “…mister walking nuclear bomb…”? He thought hard on that once the implication clicked. It may have been a mere moment for the others, but Felix had enough time to think it over, and over, and over again and again, and he had but yet one idea on what might be done to solve the problem of what to do with Mr living nuke. But it was foul, and it made his mouth pull into a quacking, begrudging, frown and made his brows arch in disgust and self-loathing, yet he knew it was the only real option when everything was said and done.

Felix considered voicing his foul scheme, but the only one with the nerve to fallow through was Uomo, if Uomo agreed to at all, and the others were sooo idealistic, they would just try to stop him as soon as he tried anything, they probably would succeed at it to, as long as he could not ketch them off guard and do it before they could react. [sblock=Ranting No. 1]Destroying the agent and the most recent archives was a still a top priority, however, the odds that they had no off site data vault, electronic or otherwise, for just such a possibility was not likely, even if they did not have one listed on thei mainframes on site, Dr. White likely had some of his own notes to work on offsite if nothing else, but on the bright side said vault might not be updated often, to help keep it hidden. The largest blow to Project Pride they were going to do was the time lost in reorganizing and relocating to another lab without drawing suspicion, and this was assuming it was the only active lab.[/sblock]
There was one last thought that went through his mind as he willed the briefly lived frown and arching brows away, even if the others did decide to go with his damnable course of action; their hands need not be stained with aiding in it nor their souls darkened by knowingly allow it to happen; Felix intended to cure the living nuke, the test was tomorrow; most likely delayed because the VIP who was to oversee it was not there yet, there was likely more than enough agent for just one meta just waiting, possibly even fully primed, if a major player was going to be there, they would have everything ready well ahead of time.

From what Felix grasped from Uomo, the just of it was the power the guy had was reusable and hair trigger enough to be used if he was merely startled.
Risking a nuclear explosion over trivialities like having the man getting spooked or have an adrenaline rush was not viable in Felix’s mind at all, nor was leaving the man in the lab. The only question was, did it had the time needed for it to work… it, being the ‘cure’ the lab was making.
[sblock=Ranting no.2]Worst case scenario, it worked too slowly, or simply activates the guy’s ability, he wakes up, their all nuked: this, a cure of a similar strain being used on him, would happen sooner or later if he is just left behind. Luckily they would be under ground, much of the blast force would be absorbed before it was unleashed onto the general public.
Alternatively it might work fast enough that it is only a, relatively, miner blast.
the next scenario is that it works out fin, and it ‘cures’ the man, but the cancerous growths happen to him and end up killing him like the others.
or it works entirely as it is meant to and it’s a happy ending.

Regardless though, Felix knew the people that brought the guy here were not stupid enough to not have a contingency plan in case he started waking up, and it would either be fatal, or it could be easily tweaked, even just over used, to become fatal… but he did know either way it would act fast enough to prevent him from going off, it had to be. They were not nearly so mad as to do tests on what amounts to a nuclear bomb without an absolute failsafe, were they?

Felix loathed the lot of the options. He did not think of his condition, or any of the others conditions, as Illnesses to be ‘cured’ like some plague, nor did he condone murder… but he was facing the fact, the guy was a living bomb. Even if the man was a Buddha, Uomo made it sound like he had ho so little control over the trigger. They were in a major city, and even if they weren’t at its heart, the death toll would more than likely been the tens of thousands, if not more if the man went off on the surface, but then again, he might have been giving the lab’s construction far too much credit, but even so, he could not leave the man in the lab, nor move him out of it while he was a nuke waiting to go off, in their faces no less.

In any scenario, if this man started waking up before he was ‘cured’ enough to be moved safely Felix simply knew he had not time to hesitate in employing whatever… ‘final solution’ theses psychopaths had dreamed up.[/sblock]

And if it happened, and if it came to be known that a meta was ‘to blame’ for the tragedy? It would start a new would war, with ‘normals’ vs ‘metas’ this could not be allowed above all else.

The risks the man posed outweighed everything to Felix, the man had to either leave ‘cured’ or in a body bag.
The cost of error was much too high for half measures. He loathed them for forcing him to do what he planned to do, and himself for being so quick to judge the man as expendable, and being so willing to go through with it.

Felix finally spoke, in a tone far colder and more callus then any he had used to date; he questioned if it was even really himself saying it as he addressed Grid. “Do we know, for certain, if the new strain is an airborne agent or if it is injected? Because if they can gas us with it I would like to also take the opportunity to physically disable the vent fans as I make my way through the vents, we’ll be long gone before stale air is a problem and we ‘ll be pressing into them before the lake of AC is more than a distracting curiosity, and before you ask, the air vents I’ll be in aren’t the owns they would use to flash vent a lab if something goes wrong.” Felix said, truth was, he was hoping it was injected, not because it was safer for them, but because it would be simpler to inject Mr bomb then gas him, vent the room, and then get him out of it.

[sblock=extra if jkason wants to use it :3]Felix looked at Grid fixedly, his eyes cold and dime; they were simply devoid of anything save a predators gaze. All the while he stood still save for a flicking of the tip of his tail; if Felix felt that Grid delayed in the answer unnecessarily, he would add a not so understanding, aggravated “Whee~l~L?” while easing his eyes narrow and tilting his head. Felix wanted this growing fiasco over with, before he lost his nerve.[/sblock]

Last edited:

Jemal

Adventurer
Still posting from phone at work, just wanted to point out that anybody who knows about nukeman, or remembers being at the school(cass, possibly Frost) would know (and presumably share the knowledge) that his explosions take some time to charge up - at least the big ones. It's not a 'sneeze could level the city' scenario.

jkason

First Post
OOC: So I don't hold anything up, Jemal, just assume Grid shares what ever info he finds in answer to anyone's questions while we're still here in the talking stage. Once we're sneaking about, he might be less likely to speak.

Jemal

Adventurer
OOC: I wasn't waiting on anybody, just haven't gotten around to the post yet. sry guys, been trying to catch up with my planar quest ooc stuff, i got really behind on it. Will get an update in here right away.

Jemal

Adventurer
Grid checks and the 'cure' is currently an injection. They have future plans to come up with a aerosolized version for quicker dispersal, but not until they're certain it won't adversely affect humans.

Felix clambers into the vent system, guided by Grid, and the rest of them approach the stairs. Two guards stand in front of the out-of-the-way staircase - Obviously different from the 'normal' security at the front. Uomo easily recognizes the military stance, and hidden weapons despite the fact that they are dressed the same.

Enoch concentrates and gives each guard an illusion that the hallway and door are empty and unmoving while they head for the door and Grid opens it. It isnt until they're through and the door clicks locked behind them that they realize some of them had been holding their breath. First hurdle down..

The group descends the stairs, Grid using the cameras to keep an eye ahead of them while Felix navigates the vents.

Felix knows when he's in the right area because he finds laser trip-wires in the vents! Fortunately, he is quick enough to stop before he sets them off, and Grid talks them into letting him past.

They all reach sub-level two, everything going smoothly, and Felix warns them that there are guards just on the inside of the bottom door - these ones armed with automic weapons!

Grid readies to unlock the door while Enoch prepares an illusion for the two guards...

[sblock=Grid's Remote Sensing]
Just realized something while going over how remote sensing works :
Remote sensing is noticeable with an insight check (DC 19 in Grid's case), so if you're using it constantly people will eventually notice. (EX: Noticing that a camera is moving back and forth when it shouldn't, etc). Since I don't think this has come up before (I don't think either of us ahs noticed it before) You can spend some points to make it subtle if you'd like (Perhaps drop a rank or two from the range). One rank would either make the dc 10 higher (29 is hard to notice), OR make it noticeable only by a specific, unusual sense (Say tech based? Only others like you would notice it). Two ranks would make it completely unnoticeable. I'll forgo the checks until you decide.

Also, the basement is guarded against any type of outside interference. You think the walls may be somehow blocking signals. Once you get down there you should be able to access things, but you cant use the inside sensors till you're through the bottom door.[/sblock]

Jemal

Adventurer
Grid unlocks the door and Enoch immediately pushes himself into the guards minds, telling them that the door is still closed and the hallway empty except for them.

One of them snaps his head around to the door and everybody freezes, until he shakes his head

"What's up?" his companion asks, raising his rifle
"I thought I heard something in the stairs.." He steps forward, and grabs his radio "Beta post 2 to Beta 1, status? Over."
"Beta 1, status Empty Field. Problem? Over."
"Beta 2, Neg, just jumpy. Over and out."

The party lets out another sigh of relief as they slip past the guards, and Felix finds their location, heading ahead, himself and Grid guiding their path.

OOC: He failed his save by 1. ;)
Gratz you've made it undetected into Sub-level 2! Anything else you want to say/do/post or shall I continue with narrative till you're either spotted or meet your objective?

jkason

First Post
[sblock=ooc Remote Sensing]
Just realized something while going over how remote sensing works :
Remote sensing is noticeable with an insight check (DC 19 in Grid's case), so if you're using it constantly people will eventually notice. (EX: Noticing that a camera is moving back and forth when it shouldn't, etc). Since I don't think this has come up before (I don't think either of us ahs noticed it before) You can spend some points to make it subtle if you'd like (Perhaps drop a rank or two from the range). One rank would either make the dc 10 higher (29 is hard to notice), OR make it noticeable only by a specific, unusual sense (Say tech based? Only others like you would notice it). Two ranks would make it completely unnoticeable. I'll forgo the checks until you decide.

You're right. I'd not even realized there was an insight check to expose it. Bringing his senses in from 2 miles to 1 certainly doesn't seem to be a huge nerf, given that the group usually wants to be closer than that to a target, anyway.

I think the 'techno senses' version you suggested sounds best to me. I think he's been a hacker-type long enough, first mundanely, then with his powers, that he's probably naturally inclined to be able to avoid normal folks noticing what he's doing. But since he's a bit cocky, I expect he's always been inclined to leave a bit of a 'signature' on his work, and allowing techno-sensors to notice him using his powers kind of fits that theme well (and feeds into his getting tripped up a bit earlier by Genie; he has a bit of a blind spot for noticing folks that are at his 'level.') I updated the sheet accordingly. :)

As for where next, I think I'm good with us continuing to our objective if everyone else is.[/sblock]

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases