Insight's "Emerald City Knights" - Prelude - The Silver Storm

Graybeard

Explorer
Kyle

Kyle eventually found his girlfriend Melissa. Instead of hanging around the devastated area, the young lovers stopped for a quick bite at a local pizza joint before going for a long walk in the park. Although the walk was enjoyable, Kyle's mind was distracted. He kept thinking about the events of the day, the strange storm, the villains, and what had happened to him and the others. He needed to think about his future. Part of him wanted things to go back to how they were before the strange storm. His life was normal and he had a plan for his life. Now, he and some others had received strange new abilities. He could create ice and throw balls of ice. What else could he do? In order to determine that, he supposed he would have to accept what had happened to him and test his new-found abilities.

Shortly after sunset, the two college students found themselves nearing the parking lot. There were only a few cars left as most people had left before it got dark. Before they got back to the cars, Kyle stopped Melissa.

"Melissa, I've got something to tell you."

The brunette college student's face lit up with a smile. She had been waiting for this moment for months now.

"What is it Kyle?"

"I've been doing a lot of thinking today. Some things happened today that made me realize how precious life really is. Something happened to me today and I've decided that you should know about it. First I need to ask you a couple of questions."

"You can ask me anything you want to."

Kyle reached into his pocket and slipped a small box into his hand.

"First, will you marry me?" he asked, offering the small box to Melissa.

"Oh my god!! Of course! I've been dreaming of this for months! This is the most exciting day of my life!"

After her excitement calmed down a bit, he reluctantly told her about his other surprise including the fight with the bullies.

"You have superpowers? How? What are you going to do about them?"

"The how is something I'm still not sure of. After dealing with those bullies, those criminals, I've been thinking. I've decided to use my new abilities to help people. Who knows how many others out there got strange powers and how many will use them to hurt people? I can't just stand by and let that happen. If I did, then I would be just as bad as they are." he explained.

Melissa was silent for what seemed like an eternity but was actually more like thirty seconds.

"I'll help you. I'll keep your secret. If you're going to help defend people from these others, then you need a disguise. Let's go back to my place. My roommate is out tonight so we'll have some privacy."

"I'm supposed to meet some of the others at 9:45 tonight."

"Then we'd better hurry then."

Later that evening, Kyle arrived at the meeting place with a mere 5 minutes to spare. He was feeling much better now that he had asked Melissa to marry him and he had told her about the events of the day. She was going to get some friends of hers to make him a costume. He wasn't entirely comfortable with that since they might learn his secret and the fewer that knew it, the better. Melissa had assured him that his secret was safe with her and that she was not going to tell her friends why she needed their help making a costume. Halloween was coming, she explained, and that's all she would tell them.

Satisfied with her answer, Kyle had left for the meeting, confident now that he could face this new direction in his life.

Jemal

Adventurer
By three o'clock, Jacie knelt on top of a nearby building, looking down at the cleanup crew. Everybody who could be saved was, all that was left was the cleanup, and that wasn't really her style..

"Scan complete. He is not in the nearby area, but I did find a 'Staff Sergeant David Russel' who was brought to the hospital from this site."

Jacie turned and dashed across the roof, leaping to the next building, hopping roof to roof and sometimes bouncing off the walls of taller buildings when she couldn't cross between roofs in a single bound. Within minutes, she had arrived at the Hospital.. Now the only problem was..
"How the heck do I change back?" She landed in an alley, and looked at her Cannon-arm, then down at her 'suit', blushing slightly as if realizing for the first time exactly how revealing and form fitting it was.

After a few moments of discussion with Dante, she managed to transform back, a brief flash leaving her standing in her torn dress, her silver D-pad amulet shining briefly in her hand. "You still there?" She let the necklace fall back into place, waiting feverishly for the reply... what if Dante was gone? What if she couldn't change back? What if she was just going crazy?
"Yes, madam, I am still here." OK, well hearing voices still didn't rule out crazy, but it was good enough for now. With a determined nod, she took off, jogging - much more slowly now - into the nearby hospital.

"I'm afraid he's still unconscious, only family members allowed" Was the only response she could get. They were busy with the aftermath, but perhaps that could work in her favour. It didn't take too much doing to have Dante access the database and find Dave's room, after which all she had to do was head in like she belonged there.
several minutes later, she found herself in double room - on one side was a woman, and on the other.. That same man she'd helped save after the storm. "So that was you" She whispered, pulling a chair up to the bed as she looked down at him.

"Hi, I'm Jacie. Nice to finally meet you.." She sat down, reaching to hold his hand, laying her head on the bed beside him as the exhausting day finally caught up with her.

-- Hours later, 9:30-945 --

Jacie once again found herself leaping across rooftops. She'd had to go home to change out of - and throw away - her ruined dress. If she had to travel via normal methods, she would've been late.
Fortunately, she didn't have to, and she dropped in off a nearby roof right beside Kyle as he showed up to the mansion's gates.
"I'm guessing this is the right place.. Dante's GPS is great, but glad to see we're not alone." She smiled at the two already there.

OOC:
LOL that's definitely how I'd propose if I ever got super powers IRL.. if there were every a way to trump "will you marry me?", it's by adding "By The Way, I've got Super Powers"
*EDIT: Just re-read and realized it's his 'mansion'.

Last edited:

Shayuri

First Post
"I know, but I really can't tonight," Michelle said into her cellphone. "I already had plans, and I can't back out. Any other time is good though; I can't wait to meet them. What was that? Sorry, my window's down. One sec. Okay when? Yeah, that'd be fine. Perfect. Thanks for understanding, Mr Getz. I'll see you then."

She closed her phone, having stopped on top of some low-rise apartment building in midtown. She wasn't even tired...but she'd had to stop because the noise of the wind was making it hard to hear. Leroy Getz was the CEO of the company, and he wanted her to come make an official eyewitness briefing to the board about what had happened. It was almost literally a dream come true. Impress even one of them, and things could start to happen. Of course, she couldn't do it tonight. She had a date with her fellow fortunate accident victims.

She'd spent the four hours of free time experimenting with her abilities...and had been surprised to discover that her control of light extended to creating a kind of...false solidity. She could move things around, even her own body. The force she generated wasn't strong enough to lift herself up...but it could negate a lot of her weight. Using it, she could lift more, run faster, jump higher and longer. She could easily climb even sheer surfaces because she didn't have to support much weight with her hands.

It was crazy. It was a rush. She'd had time to look up light online, and had read that 'solidity' was somehow an artifact of electromagnetism. And light was just another form of electromagnetism. Maybe that's what she was doing...creating an electric field that 'faked' whatever attributes solid objects had? She had no idea.

But it was fun as hell.

Even running as fast as a horse and vauling over fences and climbing buildings like a crazed comic book character was slower than driving to the place...but Michelle wanted nothing to connect her to it. She'd even found a mask to wear, and a tight bodysuit she'd worked out in last year that still fit... She'd gotten almost a block before having to go back and put on a jacket and better shoes. Did superheroes have tailors? They must make a mint.

There was the place. Big. Fancy. Nice. Michelle spotted a few people already heading up the drive to the door and reasoned that was probably the others. She made her way down...finding that while she couldn't fly, she could slow her descent from high up, and that was just fine. Then she wrapped herself in invisibility and trotted at a brisk pace to catch up with everyone.

Of course, she'd forgotten Jacie could apparently see in the dark, and see the invisible, so made no effort to hide herself in anything other than folded light as she approached.

Jemal

Adventurer
Jacie's nose wrinkles slightly as Michelle shows up "Well if it isn't 'Foxy the hallucinatrix.' Looks like were just waiting on Johnny boy. I'll get Dante to giv'im a call, but he's running late. Why don't we head in and He can join us if he shows?"

BBs

First Post
John's ego got to his head, after the rough housing and the saving, first thing that pops into his mind is to party! "Yeah yeah, nine fifty, got it, plenty of time for booze!" He makes his way into the crowd for celebrating and good times.

Hours later in a bar on one end of the town, the cocky hero is making out with some ladies until his phone rings. Looking at caller ID he has no idea what it is, so he ignores it, but then it hits him. The time on the phone said 9:50 pm. "hmm nine fifty ... taking out trash? Drinking more? Making out with ladies?" Or maybe it takes a whi- "OH :):):):)! THAT MEETING THING!" There we go! He stops what he's doing and leaves two confusing women as he rushes out of the party. Unfortunately that bar is on the opposite end of Marcus' mansion, it takes a while, but John finally manages to knock on Marcus' door. Knowing for sure that's the right, even though he had it wrong a couple of times, but hey third times the charm! Unfortunately he's late with the time being 10:30 pm.

Shayuri

First Post
Michelle blipped back into view, a little nettled by her own lapse, by Jacie's ability to see her, and by the other girl's attitude. God, this was looking like high school all over again.

She shrugged. "Sure. Go on ahead and let them know I'll be right in."

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases