Insight's "Emerald City Knights" - Prelude - The Silver Storm

Shayuri

First Post
As she lay there, staring up at the ridiculous looking emo guy, Michelle realized she was going to die. That thing he did...it had blown up a truck. She was just a person. A person who was going to die.

The surprising thing, no the shocking thing, was that it wasn't scary. It was...liberating. All the pressure gone. All the CRAP gone. All the weight falling away. She felt light as a kite.

Maybe that was why, when she made a futile, instinctive effort to push away...she sent herself literally flying through the air. It wasn't flight though, not exactly. Her trajectory was ballistic, and she had no ability to control where she went. It was more like either she got really strong, or her weight was all but cancelled out.

Either way, the flash of the explosion in the spot she'd been less than half a second before singed her hair and eyebrows, and curled the nylon fibers in her suit jacket.

In the end she only went maybe ten feet before hitting the ground and tumbling over once...twice, and finally managing to stagger to her feet. But it was enough.

She was alive. Adrenalin sang in her blood like a chorus of Valkyries. The world was sharper and clearer and more vibrant. Every breath, every heartbeat, was in her ears and thudding through her body, and they were gifts and not to be squandered.

Streaks of light coruscated around her, and Michelle realized that they looked how she felt. Bright and razor sharp and fast slashy cutty flashing redyellowlavender... She held out her hands, and the lights slid down out of the air and pooled into gibbering blobs of radiance that flickered and undulated around her digits like she was clutching the scrambled pictures from unpaid pay-per-view programming there.

Could she defend herself with this though?

A laugh tore itself out of her throat. It was absurd. It was a cosmic joke. She'd wake up any second with a doctor gravely staring down at her to tell her that the tumor was inoperable.

But until then...

"Trucks don't fight back," she informed her aggressors with confidence she had no right to feel. "I do. Who wants to go first?"

Somehow, she managed to keep the fear and confusion out of her face, out of her voice, as she confronted the two insane demon-people. She didn't know how to use loopy, Rainbow Brite powers, but she knew how to project an image. In this case, the image of someone who knew damn well she was going to wipe the floor with these two, and was only being polite in offering them a chance to get away intact first.

(Edit - Sorry, forgot to post an ACTION. :) She's using Intimidate to Demoralize, if possible. On her turn, if this is not her turn.)

Last edited:

Insight

Adventurer
Michelle manages to dodge most of the energy blast. She is hit by some of it, but she's none the worse for it.

OOC: Successful dodge halves the attack to Toughness save DC 14, which Michelle makes.

Insight

Adventurer
The Asian woman and the goth take one look at Michelle and her swirling lights and so forth.

"I don't need this trouble," the goth says. "Lord Etheric has other business."

"You've got that right," the Asian woman says. "Plenty of other losers here to deal with."

OOC: They are effectively demoralized for this round.

Both of them take off, leaving Michelle to herself.

Michelle notices that some of the other people around her and the "Redshift Energies" van are regaining consciousness.

Insight

Adventurer
James Marks awakens, groggy, unsure of his immediate surroundings and situation. He lays on the pavement, not far from the "Redshift Energies" van. A woman stands nearby. Her hands and body are seemingly emitting swirling, colorful lights.

Walking Dad

First Post
James Marks

"Uhhhm... what happened?" James asks as he slowly regains his consciousness. Seeing the woman with all the lights around and the surrounding destruction, he quickly backs away, still crouching on the ground without letting her leaving his sight.

Shayuri

First Post
Michelle sucked in an alarmed breath and jumped around to look at the owner of the new voice, half expecting it to be some crazed psycho out to kill her again. But he seemed scared too, and that was a relief. The lights around her seemed to relax too, losing their sharp edges and erratic movement, and cooling from yellow-orange to swirling, wary, greens and reds.

"Are you okay?" she asked. Then it hit her. Ambulances? Police? Where was everyone?

"My cell doesn't work, I can't call for help. The van has...I don't know. Just hold still. Let me try to get some help."

Michelle looked back over at the paramedics and milling crowds and shouted, "Hey! We need a doctor over here!"

Walking Dad

First Post
James Marks

"I think I'm fine ... you didn't this, right?" James asks as he slowly gets up. But something doesn't seem right, the world around him seemed to slow down some times before returning to normal speed. It is a confusing experience. "Okay, maybe I got a mild concussion, but I can walk."

Shayuri

First Post
"No, I didn't do this," Michelle retorts, a little annoyed. "There were other people here...they were crazy. I managed to scare them off."

She looks at herself, the aurora of light still crawling around her body, then turns around to see James more clearly.

"I guess I'm officially starting to think I'm not still unconscious...so I guess introductions are in order. I'm Michelle. And assuming we don't wind up getting cancer or something from this, it's good to meet you."

The sarcasm felt good to embrace...a comforting shield between the world and the panicked shrieking still echoing in her brain.

Walking Dad

First Post
James Marks

"My name is Marks. James Marks. But you can call me Jim." James looks around, notices the different persons lying on the ground. "Where you unconscious, too? Have you been... this way before?... Maybe I changed, too." He asks, looking afraid and intrigued at the same time.

Shayuri

First Post
"Was I?" Michelle looks at herself and shakes her head. "No," she explains patiently. "I did not used to glow. I have no idea what this is. But..."

She frowns, remembering when she'd made it move. Did she control it?

With a look of concentration, she lifts her hand up in front of her face. Light dances around her body, flickering and changing colors...but it starts to settle down and meld into a single color as she focuses on the task. A dim orange, it slides up and around and over her, until it gathers into a single orb floating over the palm of her hand.

Sweat is beading on her brow by that time. Any distraction threatens to make the light fly out of control as it echoes her thoughts and perceptions. Indeed, the moment she finally relaxes, the orange ball explodes into bright greens and purples and orbits her in aurora-like streamers.

"This...I can work with," Michelle notes. She then looks back at James, as if just remembering him. "There were another couple of people here too. One grew claws and started killing people. The other blew up a post-office truck and tried to do the same to me. You...don't have any homicidal urges, do you? It'd be just my luck to finally get superhero powers, but with psychosis as a side effect."

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases