Leif's "Revenge of the Giants" [4E] [OOC 01]

Leif

Adventurer
This is the Out-Of-Character thread for Leif's and Scotley's Revenge of the Giants game.

This thread is being started now so that the players can discuss amongst themselves ideas for shared history of their characters and any other background ideas that they wish to discuss.

Threads in this game:

Recruiting: http://www.enworld.org/forum/talkin...4th-edition-final-recruitment-now-closed.html

IC: not started yet

OOC: http://www.enworld.org/forum/talkin...tleys-revenge-giants-d-d-4th-edition-ooc.html Right there where you are! Yes, you! Right now! You're here now!

RG: http://www.enworld.org/forum/rogues...otleys-revenge-giants-d-d-4th-edition-rg.html

Last edited:

Leif

Adventurer
Baramos Rathmore

Son of Meepo, that's pretty cool, the way Baramos's dragon breath deals either fire dam or cold dam, or both? I guess it's so cold that it burns.

hafrogman

Adventurer
This thread is being started now so that the players can discuss amongst themselves ideas for shared history of their characters and any other background ideas that they wish to discuss.
From discussion from the other thread, we seem to have a basic split in the party backgrounds. We've got three isolated champions, Tyrus, Durn and Baramos are each heroes of their own specific regions, with little or no reason to travel outside their homes (at least until recently). Meanwhile, the other three have been wandering adventurers for a while, probably in and around the Sea of Fallen Stars. By the way, where is this adventure taking place?

We briefly discussed the idea of Sariel, Althous and Heise having formed some sort of permanent group. We also sort of dismissed it, as we're not the most effective trio without any heavies. But perhaps that's the hook. After individual meetings and adventures, we eventually fell into our own company, employing a rotating assortment of fighters, warriors and soldiers to try and fill out our front line, but nothing has ever quite meshed. Whoever it is that's hiring/summoning us is aware of this weakness and took it upon themselves to assemble a trio to supplement our little group. One great champion each from the Dwarven mountains (wherever they are), from Tymanther in the south and from the vast plains of the east.

So there we have it, three warriors who are used to being alone at the top now have to work together with their peers, and the team of three have to learn to incorporate three powerful new personalities into our previously balanced lives.

But above all, we're good people, we're the heroes, defenders of the weak and the downtrodden. The giants are a real threat, and together we will stride forward to do battle with our foes.

Insight

Adventurer
From discussion from the other thread, we seem to have a basic split in the party backgrounds. We've got three isolated champions, Tyrus, Durn and Baramos are each heroes of their own specific regions, with little or no reason to travel outside their homes (at least until recently). Meanwhile, the other three have been wandering adventurers for a while, probably in and around the Sea of Fallen Stars. By the way, where is this adventure taking place?

We briefly discussed the idea of Sariel, Althous and Heise having formed some sort of permanent group. We also sort of dismissed it, as we're not the most effective trio without any heavies. But perhaps that's the hook. After individual meetings and adventures, we eventually fell into our own company, employing a rotating assortment of fighters, warriors and soldiers to try and fill out our front line, but nothing has ever quite meshed. Whoever it is that's hiring/summoning us is aware of this weakness and took it upon themselves to assemble a trio to supplement our little group. One great champion each from the Dwarven mountains (wherever they are), from Tymanther in the south and from the vast plains of the east.

So there we have it, three warriors who are used to being alone at the top now have to work together with their peers, and the team of three have to learn to incorporate three powerful new personalities into our previously balanced lives.

But above all, we're good people, we're the heroes, defenders of the weak and the downtrodden. The giants are a real threat, and together we will stride forward to do battle with our foes.

I'll amend this slightly in Durn's case.

He is not used to working on his own; he has been a member of the Shieldsworn of Moradin - a revered cadre of dwarven soldiers - ever since he could pick up a hammer. BUT, he does not normally associate with non-dwarves for long periods of time. In fact, Durn's interactions with Sariel, Althous and Heise probably changed Durn's perception of non-dwarves.

So, following the interactions with Sariel, Althous and Heise in Durn's past, he is more open not only to working with non-dwarves, but also to leaving dwarven lands in pursuit of a great evil.

Leif

Adventurer
Excellent stuff, hafrogman and Insight! :D

And, hafrogman, about your question regarding the starting locale of this adventure, we are not yet prepared to disclose that information to the PCs, and quite frankly, I'm not certain that we'll ever reach that point. ;)

Last edited:

hafrogman

Adventurer
I'll amend this slightly in Durn's case.
Of course, this was mostly just me spitballing.
He is not used to working on his own; he has been a member of the Shieldsworn of Moradin - a revered cadre of dwarven soldiers - ever since he could pick up a hammer.
And just to clarify what I meant, I didn't mean that the three were all rugged individualists, I think all of them worked in teams (tribe, knightly orders, etc.), but that I doubt those groups were all made up of level 12 characters. :) Durn is a paragon of dwarven soldierdom.

hafrogman

Adventurer
And, hafrogman, about your question regarding the starting locale of this adventure, we are not yet prepared to disclose that information to the PCs
The Underdark? I knew it!
And quite frankly, I'm not certain that we'll ever reach that point. ;)
. . . that could be a difficulty once the IC thread arrives. How to defeat the giants: Step 1: FIND the giants.

No big deal if it's a secret, I was just looking to work it into my group concept. Wherever the giants are, I am sure that we'll hear of the threat, or be called to fight the giants by someone who's heard of us, or something. I leave that problem to the DMs, bless their dark, little souls.

Insight

Adventurer
[sblock=THE SHIELDSWORN OF MORADIN]The following describes the military order known as the Shieldsworn of Moradin.

"In the days since creation, the Sonnlinor took to arms in defense of the dwarven lands and sought glory in the All-Father's name. Threats posed by forces aligned against the dwarven people, growing in size and power, demanded that the Sonnlinor develop martial techniques to supplement their divine favor.

The Hammers of Moradin was the first military order to supplement the Sonnlinor. The Hammers, while valiant, were still priests, though recast as warriors. As the Hammers moved into strategic and leadership roles, another group of fervent, passionate warriors, emerged. This group came to be known as the Shieldsworn."

For the past 500 years, the Shieldsworn morphed from a cadre of holy guardsmen to near paladin-like in service to the All-Father. The Shieldsworn, as their namesake, were never without their stout shields. Units of Shieldsworn would march straight into the heart of the enemy's biggest force and would provide a bulwark against any possible enemy advance. Shieldsworn are tough, tenacious, and wholly devoted to Moradin.

Each dwarven stronghold boasts its own unit of Shieldsworn. Each Shieldsworn unit is numbered and each sends one representative to a council held on an annual basis. A stronghold does not employ the Shieldsworn as mere guards; they are used only when the stronghold is in danger of being attacked or is currently under siege.

The Hammers of Moradin provide leadership in military deployments. Despite this, the Shieldsworn are their own order and have their own leaders. When deployed, however, the Shieldsworn leaders are more like sergeants, fighting alongside the "grunts", rather than crafting strategy back at the stronghold.

The Shieldsworn hold the four tenets to be their creed (in addition to their sworn allegiance to Moradin and the church):

* We swear to fight to the dying breath to defend the stronghold.
* We swear to never leave a brother on his own.
* We swear to brave unholy hell to stop the enemy in its tracks.
* We swear to always bear the shield.
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Leif

Adventurer
we are not yet prepared to disclose that information to the PCs
No big deal if it's a secret, I was just looking to work it into my group concept. Wherever the giants are, I am sure that we'll hear of the threat, or be called to fight the giants by someone who's heard of us, or something. I leave that problem to the DMs, bless their dark little souls.
All will be made plain in due course, and your conundrum should sort itself right out. And, incidentally, our 'dark little souls' appreciate the consideration extended to them. ;) Also, the 'darkness' of our souls may vary from day to day, or even minute to minute. Hopefully, for your sakes, they will 'blacken' at an uneven rate, so the 'good DM' among us can countermand, or at least temper, the TPK tendency of the 'bad DM'.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases