Leif's "Revenge of the Giants" [4E] [OOC 01]

Leif

Adventurer
It's pre-game tossing stuff around; hafrogman's free to disavow anything I write ...
Yeah, I don't have a problem with it here (IC would be different, obviously). I co-opted Sariel's father, etc.
Excellent! :) Glad to see that everyone is collaborating fully and playing well together! B-)

[MENTION=11437]Insight[/MENTION], that was an excellent story that you told us in your last post! Worth XP if I could yet award you again so soon!

Checking in! I like the Sorcerer/Warlord/Monk traveling group. Sounds like the start of a joke.

---

While Sariel and Heise conducted their business in the tavern, Althous sat on the porch outside and talked with the horses tethered to the posts. "Tch. Your shoes weren't made for you, were they?" The palomino blinked his large eyes and pawed at the ground with a hoof. "Unfortunately we're leaving soon, or I could forge you a set made just for you." Althous said and leaned forward, one hand resting on the giant mallet next to him. "Don't have a forge either." He taped his fingers on the mallet's head. "Or iron and ore."

The horse shook his head and let out a long sigh, his tail twitching. "I know, I know." Althous said, raising his hands in apology. "Focus on what you do, not what you do not have. You're just like Master Cav." Althous said and raised one eyebrow at the horse. "He's been dead for a few years now..." He said. The horse pawed at the ground. "How old are you?"

The young eladrin stepped through the doors of the inn. "Althous, Hociel has made the arrangements. We're leaving soon." She said with a smile.

Althous sighed and said "Okay. I'm ready to go." He stood up and scratched behind the horses ear with one hand. "Sorry Master Cav. Hopefully someone else can help you get new shoes." Picking up his mallet Althous turned and faced Sariel. The eldarin turned to go back in, but paused with her hand on the door frame. "Master Cav? That's a strange name for a horse."

Althous shrugged and said, "Well, he's a horse, but he's also one of my former masters. At least I'm fairly sure he is." Althous nodded to the slightly confused eladrin and walked in the tavern.

Son of Meepo

First Post
A few "behind the screen" type questions.

Most published adventures are designed for 5 PCs, but we have a party of 6. Will you be scaling the difficulty to account for the extra PC, or keeping them the same with slightly slower advancement.

Also it is my understanding that Revenge of the Giants was written prior to Monster Manual 3, so it is using the old (lower) damage expressions for monsters. Will you be upgrading the monsters or running them as written.

Just wondering what level of challenge I should be prepared for.

Leif

Adventurer
A few "behind the screen" type questions. Just wondering what level of challenge I should be prepared for.

Most published adventures are designed for 5 PCs, but we have a party of 6. Will you be scaling the difficulty to account for the extra PC, or keeping them the same with slightly slower advancement?
Yes.

Also it is my understanding that Revenge of the Giants was written prior to Monster Manual 3, so it is using the old (lower) damage expressions for monsters. Will you be upgrading the monsters or running them as written?
Maybe.

Not prepared to give away these details at this point, or, for that matter, probably any other point. Players really have no buisiness worrying about these things.

Leif, I worry about everything.

This is Tyrus' player checking in. Having looked over the great background building that you guys are doing, I'm very excited for this game. I would imagine that Tyrus is one of those "toughs" that you've hired for security. He'll be a good sport about that; after all, he's looking for a new family to protect.

Son of Meepo

First Post
Players really have no buisiness worrying about these things.

I disagree with that statement to a point. The mechanical assumptions of 4e underwent a drastic change late in its lifetime, so from a tactical perspective, it's almost like playing two different games (Easy Mode D&D vs Hard Mode D&D).

I like to know how much I have to pay attention to the tactical aspects of the game. In the newer model, poor moves could be deadly. With the older numbers not so much. Your experience could be much more laid back with time devoted to in combat rp rather than worrying about making optimal tactical decisions because it was very difficult for a PC to die with the lower damage of early 4e. At least that has been my experience.

I suppose I will figure it out after the first encounter or two.

Leif

Adventurer
I disagree with that statement to a point.
Wait a minute, I'm confused -- who is a DM here?
The mechanical assumptions of 4e underwent a drastic change late in its lifetime, so from a tactical perspective, it's almost like playing two different games (Easy Mode D&D vs Hard Mode D&D).

I like to know how much I have to pay attention to the tactical aspects of the game. In the newer model, poor moves could be deadly. With the older numbers not so much. Your experience could be much more laid back with time devoted to in combat rp rather than worrying about making optimal tactical decisions because it was very difficult for a PC to die with the lower damage of early 4e. At least that has been my experience.
I don't like for my players to know how every encounter is going to play out before they actually start the fight. There's not even a chance for any surprise there. Where's the fun in that?

I suppose I will figure it out after the first encounter or two.
:) Gee, ya think? Maybe you'll have to figure it out after the first round or two of each encounter, but would that really be so bad? We're not bound to keep the individual monsters at the power levels given in the adventure, either. Nor are we bound to run every encounter given in the adventure. In fact, we've already modified the first encounter.

Insight

Adventurer
I'd like to point out that our characters are pretty beefy and we probably shouldn't worry about how tough the enemies are. My humble opinion.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases