Leif's "Revenge of the Giants" [4E] [OOC 01]

Son of Meepo

First Post
I don't like for my players to know how every encounter is going to play out before they actually start the fight. There's not even a chance for any surprise there. Where's the fun in that?

I never really asked for that level of information. Just more of a general feel of the difficulty. Let me give you an example:

Hill Giant (Monster Manual) - Level 13 Brute - Greatclub +15 vs AC; 1d10+5 damage.

Hill Giant (Monster Vault) - Level 13 Brute - Greatclub +18 vs AC; 3d10+11 damage.

Huge difference.

:) Gee, ya think? Maybe you'll have to figure it out after the first round or two of each encounter, but would that really be so bad? We're not bound to keep the individual monsters at the power levels given in the adventure, either. Nor are we bound to run every encounter given in the adventure. In fact, we've already modified the first encounter.

Yeah, that's what I wanted to understand. Is everything run right out of the book (and probably very easy) or would some modifications would be made. Sounds like the latter, which is better IMO.

Leif

Adventurer
Hill Giant (Monster Manual) - Level 13 Brute - Greatclub +15 vs AC; 1d10+5 damage.

Hill Giant (Monster Vault) - Level 13 Brute - Greatclub +18 vs AC; 3d10+11 damage.

Huge difference.

Yeah, that's what I wanted to understand. Is everything run right out of the book (and probably very easy) or would some modifications would be made. Sounds like the latter, which is better IMO.
A level 13 monster that does an average of 9-11 hp of damage is not really a challenge for a Paragon Level character, especially when the moster would be lucky to live through 3 rounds!

Son of Meepo

First Post
I'd like to point out that our characters are pretty beefy and we probably shouldn't worry about how tough the enemies are. My humble opinion.

Ah, now I think I understand the misunderstanding.

I tend to favor the gamist side of RPGs. I build characters that are fairly well optimized for the game system and I enjoy adventures that challenge those characters.

My concern was not that the adventure would be too hard, but being an older adventure, that it might be too easy.

Leif

Adventurer
Ah, now I think I understand the misunderstanding.

I tend to favor the gamist side of RPGs. I build characters that are fairly well optimized for the game system and I enjoy adventures that challenge those characters.

My concern was not that the adventure would be too hard, but being an older adventure, that it might be too easy.
Oh, if that's the only problem, we can make a special effort to ensure that it's not too easy! TPK may be a concern, however...
:D

I will, admit, though, that I don't have a great deal of experience running adventures for paragon levels. So it may take me awhile to figure out just what I'm doing. Hopefully Scotley will make up for my deficiencies.

Last edited:

drothgery

First Post
Oh, if that's the only problem, we can make a special effort to ensure that it's not too easy! TPK may be a concern, however...
And I just realized Sariel has no combat healing powers beyond Inspiring Word. Though she can do Inspiring Word three times per encounter and give out a lot of temp HPs...

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases