Convincing 4th Edition players to consider 5th Edition

Crazy Jerome

First Post
But the playtest skill rules don't have anything else to support player agency within its action resolution framework (eg there is no Let it Ride, nothing analogous to BW's "intent and task", etc). That is something that I would like to see...

There's one sentence in the playtest document that calls out intent and stakes, but of course doesn't explain to the playtester anything about how to use them or why. Given it's placement, it presumably is a placeholder for a thought to be developed later. Let it Ride, not mentioned at all, would also fit in that section.

It's a small sign, but I hope it portends more.

This relates to that comment several weeks ago, I believe from Mearls, that a good rules should be one that if you need to look it up, makes sense as soon as you read it. It is a rule that you can honestly say, "I didn't know that before, but I'm not surprised that it is this way." That's not really good design, per se, but I think the intersection of good design with elegance--which implies a certain amount of engineering mixed with art. It's often at the boundaries of disciplines like this that we get things really good or definitely "off" somehow.

Strictly speaking (which I certainly don't always do), I wouldn't say something is "bad design" until one found a better design to replace it with. As soon as you find that better design, the other one is worse--and if worse "enough" was always "bad design"--whether we suspected it earlier or not. Of course, what most people mean by "bad design" (including me) is something like, "This things follows a pattern that I've seen before. The pattern has characteristic flaws. There is a better pattern to replace it."

So, for example, you can intuit from the pattern, if you've got related experience elsewhere, that "better AC goes down" while "better attack numbers go up" is "bad design." That's entirely true by pattern--but comes with the big caveat, often unstated, that we can have a way to make them consistent that will be, on the whole, better than having them go opposite. 3E's "better design" reinforces the pattern by finding that way.

But really what you are doing here is describing a design aesthetic that values intuitiveness and unified design. That is q great design approach but not the only one. And every approach will have flaws. I myself like working with unified mechanics. All the games we design try to follow intuitive patterns because we think it makes for easier gameplay and can be used to set up simple overal rules which behave in a predictable way. But it hasn't escaped me that I am trading something for that unification and ease of use. For example if you have to fit a single pattern over the whole game, say the same mechanic you use for attack rolls, skill rolls and damage rolls, it certainly makes it easier but it can place limits on your options as a designer (and there is always something to be said for different mechanics feeling different). So lets say I use a d10 dice pool for skills and now need a random encounter chart. Do i limit myself to d10s or pools of d10s because it is the core mechanic. I could do that (and ultimately I decided to do so) but another designer might have found a single d20 more suited for the kind of encounter chart he wanted to make. In areas of the game like damage, initiative, etc this becomes even more significant.

I like to point to NWPs and ability checks as an instance of counter intuitive design being a better choice (from my point of view) than an intuitive unified mechanic. Personally i wasn't a fan of d20s bringing every thing (i think with the exception of damage and a couple of other things) into the d20 roll. Most people don't agree, but I find in practice rolling under the ability score on NWP and ability checks is better than rolling d20+ modifer against target number for skills and ability checks. I think the math is much more contained and I think rolling under an ability for an ability check produces more attainable results than having to rely on your ability modifier (which never quite seemed enough for me). There are flaws with this approach and not everyone likes it. But when I went back to it after years of playing 3e, I was happy to jettison the whole d20 for everything. Same with initiative. Rolling low on a ten is a counter intuitive mechanic but produces highoy intuitive results (the GM just counts up from 1-10 for initiative rather than down from 20+.

Tony Vargas

Legend
We can stop there. The divide between us is really too great to continue the discussion. You have been proven wrong countless times in this thread alone, but refuse to see anything other than your way, which you claim is objective and demonstrably isn't.
Saying that doesn't make it true. I made claims about the actual mechanics of the game, the mechanics are right there, they're open to verification. The most I've seen in response is claims that 'it's all subjective' and the odd anecdote. No one's 'proven me wrong' by pleading no proof is possible, and, similarly, the personal attacks are not proof. That you can take them as such is a symptom of unassailable confirmation bias.

So, I think we can agree that there's no basis for discussion between us. Which is rather the point of pulling the 'subjective' card in the first place - to shut down debate.

Saying that doesn't make it true. I made claims about the actual mechanics of the game, the mechanics are right there, they're open to verification. The most I've seen in response is claims that 'it's all subjective' and the odd anecdote. No one's 'proven me wrong' by pleading no proof is possible, and, similarly, the personal attacks are not proof. That you can take them as such is a symptom of unassailable confirmation bias.

So, I think we can agree that there's no basis for discussion between us. Which is rather the point of pulling the 'subjective' card in the first place - to shut down debate.

I think quite a few valid reasons have been given for why the whole "objectively broken" or "shoddy design" thing is more subjective than anything else.

Tony Vargas

Legend
I'm more interested in skills being expanded here, rather than "powers", but as long as it's meaningfully expanded, I'll be happy.
Expanded as in more skills? As in skills doing more? Or as in more of the tasks skills can be used for being defined mechanically? Or something else?

I'd object to the idea of /more/ skills, and especially to open-ended skills.

Well, the DM can change whatever he wants, but a nice, solid baseline with DCs set and given make for players that can look at a task and say "I can reliably hit that." If healing somebody is DC X, then when I have +X-1 as my modifier, I can't fail. If the DC is 15, and I roll at +5, I know I've got a pretty decent chance of success. Codifying common rolls is good for establishing "player agency" as has been used in this conversation.
Certainly. Of course, not every wound is equally easy to treat - and a wound-tracking module could go into a lot of detail on that, I suppose. A simple rule of thumb might take into account something like the % of maximum damage done, or the level of the attacker who inflicted the damage.

Again, isn't the skill system pretty much run by DM fiat for DMs who don't always use the guidelines and scale the DCs of everything?
Well, yes. If a game provides guidelines and the DM doesn't use them, that'd be DM fiat. I mean, by definition, regardless of the system in question.

That is, don't defined DCs give players the ability to know how they can shape the content of the fiction, rather than saying "can I do this?" followed by a "and how hard is that?"
I would agree with that, yes.

JamesonCourage

Adventurer
Expanded as in more skills? As in skills doing more? Or as in more of the tasks skills can be used for being defined mechanically? Or something else?

I'd object to the idea of /more/ skills, and especially to open-ended skills.
Most importantly, the DC of things being defined. That's by far the most important thing to get done, in my mind.

But, personally, I'd definitely like to see more skills on the list. I'm against open-ended skills, though. I'd like more than 17 skills (I'm a closer-to-40 kinda guy, but I have skills like Assess, Craft, Leadership, Tactics, etc.), and I'd like to see some skills revised (I've hated Dungeoneering since 3.5, and house ruled it out).

Again, though, the important part is defining DCs. That's a much bigger step than introducing nuance (through a longer skill list).
Certainly. Of course, not every wound is equally easy to treat - and a wound-tracking module could go into a lot of detail on that, I suppose. A simple rule of thumb might take into account something like the % of maximum damage done, or the level of the attacker who inflicted the damage.
It could. And as a supporter of different DCs for different diseases/poisons, I'm all for different DCs for wounds, too (and use them in my RPG).
Well, yes. If a game provides guidelines and the DM doesn't use them, that'd be DM fiat. I mean, by definition, regardless of the system in question.
Except that I'm not clear that 4e explicitly states that you need to tailor every DC of every task to the party. Is Neonchameleon house ruling when he uses it that way? To my knowledge, that's not the case, but I don't have the book to check.
JamesonCourage said:
That is, don't defined DCs give players the ability to know how they can shape the content of the fiction, rather than saying "can I do this?" followed by a "and how hard is that?"
I would agree with that, yes.
That's the main thing I want to see in the skill section in 5e. It's important, and gives much more "player agency" than what pemerton described in his reforging of Whelm, in my opinion. I'd much rather see reliable DCs for a skill list of 10 skills (way below what I'd like) than to see more skills but no reliable DCs for players and GMs. As always, play what you like :)

pemerton

Legend
being less specific can also make things more realistic, and it can _certainly_ make it easier to stay immersed. The less math I have to do to accomplish anything, the better.

<snip>

I'm _really_ okay with the DM going 'That's an easy climb' or 'Sure, but due to the recent weather and sheer face it's a hard climb', and then gives me an appropriate bonus, or sets an appropriate DC. The Next current treatment seems good there. If they start giving out +1s for wearing the right shoes, having "claw gloves", specialty with "rugged slopes" or whatever? Less so.
I think one of the problems is that we try to make mechanics too finely grained when they really don't need to be.
I generally agree with these points.

Whereas I would say that if your rules are so complicated that they actually NEED charts, you've probably failed in the first place.
But if you think about how D&D does combat, every monster is its own little chart. So maybe there's a minimal amount of complication that D&D requires.

There's one sentence in the playtest document that calls out intent and stakes, but of course doesn't explain to the playtester anything about how to use them or why. Given it's placement, it presumably is a placeholder for a thought to be developed later. Let it Ride, not mentioned at all, would also fit in that section.
I missed that. Where is it?

pemerton

Legend
couldn't "objective" DCs still allow for gonzo play (something similar to how Mutants and Masterminds, a superhero RPG, gives you reliable abilities that are definitely more gonzo in nature)?

And, secondly, can't you have a good chart for "stunts" or "improvised actions" that use the "objective" DCs as a guideline for the rest of play?
4e does have a chart for improvised actions, though it's based on scaled DCs and "genre logic" rather than on "objective" DCs.

I'm not familiar with M&M other than by reputation, but I have been given the impression by some posts I've seen about it that a lot of the gonzo is introduced via its Hero/Action(?) Point mechanic, which seems to be more about "genre logic" than objective DCs.

Whether or not that impression is accurate, my feeling - and it's based on experience, not a priori conceptual reasoning - is that one you are using objective DCs adjudicating the gonzo elements of D&D-ish high fantasy becomes harder, and the overall pressure is towards conservatism, because reality is the baseline for the setting of objective DCs.

For example, how easy is it for someone to shove their hands into a forge and hold a red-hot artefact still as magical (as well as mundane) energy builds, and dwarven artificers try and grasp it with their tongs? My feeling is that in the real world that's impossible, or very close to. And then the pressure is on to look for abilities (or spells) that give magical protection against heat, and the like - and then we're out of the realm of improvisational gonzo and into the realm of operational play and the management of magical resources.

Another example that came up on these boards early in 4e's life. Someone was complaining about their mage getting swallowed in a purple worm encounter - the worm struck with surprise, got to go twice before the mage, and then gulped the wizard down. So the player never got to act (under the ruels at the time, only melee basic attacks were permitted in a worm's gullet) and the PC died. [MENTION=386]LostSoul[/MENTION] asked something like "Why didn't the Rogue dive into the worm's gullet and pull the mage back out?", with reference to the DC for a basic Acrobatic stunt as being 15 (per the 4e PHB - in the post-Essentials environment, where some of the notation for DCs has been standardised, I think we'd be talking about a Hard level-appropriate DC.)

This suggestion was met with a lot of scepticism - how can a rogue dive into a purple worm's gullet and pull someone to safety? The objective DC for that is "ludicrous and impossible". But I think LostSoul's question was posed within a presupposed framework of scaling DCs and genre logic. And I do think that this is the framework that tends to open the door to gonzo play, rather than tending to bring it back down to earth, and into the realm of operational management of magical resources.

Reliable DCs allow players to reliably gauge their skill against the DC, and make informed decisions on whether or not they're able to shape the story reliably.

Can I ask how the skill system that is essentially decided by DM fiat emphasizes player agency more than, say, BW's approach?
Most importantly, the DC of things being defined. That's by far the most important thing to get done, in my mind.

<snip>

That's the main thing I want to see in the skill section in 5e. It's important, and gives much more "player agency" than what pemerton described in his reforging of Whelm, in my opinion.
4e (and HeroQuest revised, to which I've compared it) don't have DCs set by GM fiat. They have DCs read of a chart which has entries specified in metagame terms (in HQ, by reference to the pass/fail cycle; in 4e, by reference to level).

In this situation, the player is still saying "can I do this?" and you, as DM, get to say yes or no (this doesn't strike me as strong player agency). Then, you set the DC (again, he doesn't know what this will be until the DM decides, so this doesn't strike me as strong player agency either).
I don't see any difference - as far as this particular issue is concerened - between setting DCs by reference to level, and setting them by reference to "objective" factors.

And I don't see any difference between combat and non-combat, either.

So in classic D&D, or in BW, the GM assigns a monster AC and hp (or, in BW, an armour rating and injury thresholds) based on "objective" factors. When the players (via their PCs) come to deal with the monster, they can either try to infer to the numbers from the GM's description, or they can muck in, have a go and learn by trial and error. (Perhaps there are also "monster knowledge" mechanics that mediate between a PC knowing the fictional state of affairs and a player knowing its mechanical expression.)

In 4e , the GM assigns a monster AC and hp based on level (in HQ, rather than AC and hp it is ability bonuses that are assigned in this way, and on the basis of the pass/fail cycle). When the players (via their PCs) come to deal with the monster, they can either try to infer the numbers from the GM's characterisation of the situation ("You see a fearsome beast", "That's going to be hard!", or convesely "You don't think that will cause you much trouble"), or they can muck in, have a go and learn by trial and error. (Again, there can be monster knowledge mechanics to mediate between a PC knowing the fictional state of affairs, and a player knowing its mechanical expression. 4e has these. HQ revised doesn't, but its system is simple enough that it doesn't really need them.)

If we turn away from monsters to (say) jumping a pit or climbing a wall, you can describe it to the players with enough precision that they can identify the objective factors that will set a DC (this is how BW approaches it - and it is taken for granted that it is the GM who has ultimately authority over DC-setting, though players are entitled to ask for one advantage die if they can point to some relevant advantage in the way they have narrated their PC's approach to the task; the player isn't actually told the DC until s/he has committed his/her PC to the action, at which point it is too late to pull out). Or, you can tell the players "that looks easy" or "that looks hard" - or even just state the DC - and again they can infer to the difficulty of the task for their PCs.

For me, player agency is not about transparency of DCs as such - I use a range of approaches to DC disclosure, sometime relying on the players to infer them, sometimes stating them outright, my general goal being to keep the excitement of the game alive. (It's a bit like a creature's immunities - generally I leave the players to discover them, or to have their PCs ascertain them ingame via a knowledge check, but occasionally I will state them outright because I think it will heighten the tension.)

For me, it's about the players being confident (i) that if they engage the action resolution mechanics they have a meaningful chance (and, for me, this is what level-based scaling achieves - in BW, the alternative approach is taken of always making failure a viable option), and (ii) that once the action resolution mechanics are engaged, the consequences will be binding on everyone at the table. There are no fudgings, rewrites, "Roads to Rome" etc. Particularly in respect of (ii), I think this is straight-down-the-line Forge-ist hostility to the GM suspending the mechanics "in the interests of the story". It's about the GM maintaining authority over scene-framing (and to a significant degree over backstory), but not asserting authority over plot.

Essentials, for me, took one major backwards step when it stated (RC, p 9) that one of the roles of the GM is "[to guide] the story. . . At times, the DM might alter or even ignore the result of a die roll if doing so benefits the story." This replaced the earlier characterisation, in the PHB (p 8) of the GM "adjudicat[ing] the story" in those situations "[w]hen it's not clear what ought to happen next". I think the PHB formulations is a little elliptical, but rougly right (relative to my interests and desires). I think the RC formulation is a recipe for suspending the action resolution mechanics, for railroading, and for the overriding of player agency.

Crazy Jerome

First Post
One of the reasons BW works so readily the way pemerton discusses above is that its difficulties ("obstacles") are exponential when compared to in-game reasoning, and there are rarely more than 10 of them. Modifiers can drive an obstacle up higher, but even an OB 6 is very difficult to pull off, and never a routine matter.

So it is pretty easy to remember: OB 1 - easy, OB 2 - routine stuff by competent creatures, OB 3 - somewhat harder, OB 4 -tough --and then it goes up rapidly from there. In practice, you might need to look up the OB5+ values to be sure, but you can pretty much guess everything below that, once you get moderately familiar with the system. It's all in the context of a normal, competent creature; so it doesn't move, either. Of course, the math for skills in BW maps well to that, whereas a linear d20 + mod never would. That's one of the drawbacks of a linear system.

I've wondered more than once if D&D wouldn't be well served by putting the exponential part on the DC side instead of the check. Namely, use the multiple check mechanic not for time or distance, but for difficulty, then assign all the base DCs for a low-level, common range.

For example, let's say that the DC for a competent person to sneak by a competent guard in an reasonablely hidden environment is DC 10. Since that's an opposed check, it is functionally DC 10 + opposing Wis mod verus your Dex (+ Sneak) mod. Instead of being able to go your speed or similar 3E/4E reading, make the check, you get by. However, if the distance is long or you have to spend a lot of time or there are multiple guards or you have little cover, you roll multiple checks and must succeed on all of them (i.e. a lot like having disadvantage but with stacking).

In previous play, stacking dice this way is bad, because people don't get the scaling odds. You have to roll every 30 feet (despite the great cover and darkness giving you a +5), and it turns an "easy" check into something hard. This method would reverse that, so that you learned that 1 dice is standard, 2 dice (disad version) is difficult, etc. Then for easy, you go the other way. Now the DCs are static (per relatively normal people) but the dice change on an easy to remember determination.

The labels attached to each set of dice would need to be clear, but if 3 dice of disad is "hard", that will get set in people's mind pretty quick as, "not gonna happen unless I'm really good at this or get incredibly luck"--which does map pretty well to "hard". :D

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Whereas I would say that if your rules are so complicated that they actually NEED charts, you've probably failed in the first place. The mechanics should be simple and intuitive enough that you don't need to look them up.
Depends what those mechanics are.

What's on the back of ye olde screen at the moment?
- a saving throw matrix by class and type (e.g. poison, spell, wand), modified only slightly from that in the DMG.
- a saving throw matrix for items, modified and expanded from that in the DMG
- a combat matrix by class and level, greatly modified from the 1e DMG.
- a chart on how to build XP values for monsters, modified from the DMG
- a much-expanded turn undead matrix
- a chart converting movement in 'inches' to how far you actually go in a second/round/minute/hour/day, modified again for searching, sprinting, jogging, etc.
- a little table showing the odds of "Death's Door" doing different things to people depending how close to death they are (yes, I've really butchered that spell!)

All of these except the last just save me having to constantly look stuff up in either the DMG or my red book.
I think one of the problems is that we try to make mechanics too finely grained when they really don't need to be.
True that, but for me it depends on what side of the screen I'm on. As a DM I don't mind some complexity (as you might notice by the above), but as a player I want it all bog simple and let the DM worry about the complexities. :).

Lanefan

Remove ads