Input for starting a Star Wars Saga Edition game?

fireinthedust

Explorer
Interesting how some of the GM/mechanical problems he notes would have been solved if the game was based on 4e instead of (basically) 3e. It's occurred to me in the past that 4e D&D would have been much better suited for Star Wars than SAGA, and SAGA would have been much better suited for the next edition of D&D than 4e was...

Mmmm... I don't know about that. Re-skinning isn't the same as making a game that fits the material.

4e is a fun game, and for 2 years I actually had an easy time GMing it. That is the goal the writer of the retrospective was aiming for, but I don't know that 4e is quite the right solution for SWSE, even if SWSE was a design note on the road to 4e.

The problem, as I see it, is that players have the ability to just make a character they like, while GMs have to pander mathematically to the players. As a GM I'm thinking about what will challenge the heroes and make for a fun encounter: if the player has an attack that does 3d6 a round, can my villains last for at least three rounds in that combat? And the way they survive, will it be entertaining for the heroes?

The design of the game assumes that Jedi are amazing, and fight each other almost exclusively, while the other characters mop up the minions and vehicles. Realistically, Jedi beat up everyone, and the GM is constantly chasing them: all foes are aimed at the Jedi, while those aimed at the rest of the party are probably running from the Jedi.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases