D&D 5E The Door, Player Expectations, and why 5e can't unify the fanbase.

WarlockLord

First Post
I'm going to start by quoting the "Bounded Accuracy" article.

Mearls said:
For example, we can say that breaking down an iron-banded wooden door is a DC 17 check, and that can live in the game no matter what level the players are. There's no need to constantly escalate the in-world descriptions to match a growing DC; an iron-banded door is just as tough to break down at 20th level as it was at 1st, and it might still be a challenge for a party consisting of heroes without great Strength scores. There's no need to make it a solid adamantine door encrusted with ancient runes just to make it a moderate challenge for the high-level characters. Instead, we let that adamantine door encrusted with ancient runes have its own high DC as a reflection of its difficulty in the world. If players have the means of breaking down the super difficult adamantine door, it's because they pursued player options that make that so, and it is not simply a side effect of continuing to adventure.

I think this quote helps illustrate why 5e is not going to be able to unify both sides of the edition war.

In the thread NeonChameleon started about bringing 5e players to 4e, he pointed out that one of the editions's strengths was making it so that wizard spells don't obviate skills. But I think this is part of the problem. The fact that in 4e, things you do don't really change. A 1st level band of noobs runs into a wall. They need to climb it to cross it. A 30th level band of an epic archmage, a badass warrior dude who can randomly walk out of the afterlife, another dude who is a living divine avatar, and a demigod, faced with a wall, are going to climb it. It doesn't make it that much more epic when the 30th level guys are climbing a wall of space force or whatever, they're still stuck on the same basic challenge: can we climb a wall? And the answer is usually going to be some sort of climb check. And that's a problem a lot of 3.X players have with the system. In 3.X you could do all sorts of crazy crap, like burrow under the wall, smash it, fly over it, phase through it, and whatnot.

And to be fair to 4e, some similar measures exist. The cleric could roll up in his cloud chariot and tell all the climbing and jumping people they are officially obsolete because he has a pimp car. The wizard could phase himself through the wall with various utilities, or burn mass fly or fly. They can both laugh at the martial characters, because even if those guys took ritual caster they still had to set 2 feats on fire and are probably going to be worse at rituals due to lower stats. And of course, rituals kinda suck, and you can't attack the wall if the DM refuses to assign it hit points. I excluded these in my initial analysis because a lot of people don't want "Bob the Climber" to be invalidated for some reason.

On the other hand, a lot of 3.X players think that climbing, jumping, and not flying around are low-level concepts that deserve to be phased out eventually. In 3.X, after a certain point, you don't care how big the bear is because you can fly over it and throw tiny rocks at it until it dies. 4e, on the other hand, seems to fetishize standing in melee and stabbing things in the face. These are two pretty different viewpoints I don't see one game reconciling.

Now none of this should be taken to mean that fighters need to suck. I personally believe Tome of Battle didn't go nearly far enough in buffing the fighter types. But they need real, out of combat interesting abilities. If the wizard is flying, they should be able to walk on the wind because they're awesome. They should be able to smash mountains, run really fast, dance on the tips of spears, lasso tornados, and straight up not die. If Pecos Bill, Cucuhlainn, Roland, or Benkei could do it, so can the fighter. I suspect I will get many comments about the terrible anime fighter and how real fighters are totally mundane warriors who are somehow worthy of respect by guys who can fly around, teleport, turn invisible, and conjure armies of minions, but quite frankly the "mundane only" fighter is a joke which falls apart the first time your fighter deals enough damage to wreck a main battle tank or survives being sat on by a dragon. But again, people don't agree on this, and this is why unification is not possible.

TL;DR: The 3e and 4e max power levels are vastly different from each other and that's why unification is impossible.

Crazy Jerome

First Post
They'll never unify the fan base into playing the same way, because that unity was never there in the first place. As games have gotten more specific in this or that, what was always there has simply become more apparent.

Happily, for WotC, they don't need to unify the fan base into all getting along. They just need to provide them a unified product that they all (or most of them anyway) want to buy. That's mostly possible, with some niche outliers that get missed or bypassed.

The people that don't like 4E are not going to like the way I run 5E. The people that really got into 3.5/PF Pazio adventures are not going to run the kind of game I like with 5E. ;)

In the thread NeonChameleon started about bringing 5e players to 4e, he pointed out that one of the editions's strengths was making it so that wizard spells don't obviate skills. But I think this is part of the problem. The fact that in 4e, things you do don't really change. A 1st level band of noobs runs into a wall. They need to climb it to cross it. A 30th level band of an epic archmage, a badass warrior dude who can randomly walk out of the afterlife, another dude who is a living divine avatar, and a demigod, faced with a wall, are going to climb it. It doesn't make it that much more epic when the 30th level guys are climbing a wall of space force or whatever, they're still stuck on the same basic challenge: can we climb a wall?

This is a weakness in 4e, I agree. Heroic tier works. Paragon tier just about works. But epic tier is a failure at being epic. (Older editions handle this different ways - in 3.X only the casters turn epic, in AD&D the game changes at level 10, and I'm not sure about BECMI).

Much better would be for the 30th level fighter to be able to slice straight through reality. Or bring his mace down and create a chasm under the wall.

And for the record, last time my 4e monk was faced with a 30 foot wall, he ran straight up the side and kicked the archers off the battlements. This was at mid-heroic tier. Climb roll, what climb roll? We have Wire Fu.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
The epic fighter pulls out his weapon and destroys the wall in a single action.

The epic ranger whistles and his pet fey bear (that he raised since a cub D'aaaww) blasts the wall with his roar and he rides it over the rubble.

The epic rogue climbs or jumps over the wall. He can't fail the check due to skill mastery.

The epic monk meditates then either knocks a hole in it (fighter-style) or flips over it (rogue-style) or phases through it (mystic style)

The epic warlord pumps up another character or henchman to use one of their wall-defeating abilities at lower or no cost.

Just because Many 4E fans like some sort of balance, does not mean we all want everything the same or martial characters to use the system of the magical.

BYW, the horribad support for epic in 4E limited the mechanical epiciness of 4E epic. Not the system.

BobTheNob

First Post
Not a bad observation, especially the 3.5 vs 4e approaches. Whilst my own expereince that what you were stating for 3.5 was more our groups 2e experience, in retrospect I still experienced the same thing.

There is one thing you are missing however is the players ability to adapt to the way the new game play's.

We (my group) are coming off 4e and frankly, Im looking at getting back into the 3.5 groove, I would even go as far as saying the pre-3.5 back to 2e groove. Will 5e be everything I want it to be? Probably not. Will it have enough regression to previous standards that it will entice me?...ahhh, now that is the question.

We adapted when we picked up 4e, and 5e only need to be closer to what Im looking for for me to be willing to adapt again. The luddites wont, fine, they never do. Dont underestimate peoples ability to take on new things (or given 5e is such a tip of the hat to previous editions...old things?). I not so sure I share your pessimism on this topic.

Rhenny

Adventurer
As mentioned above, I think that 5e can be successful if it gives groups the ability to pick and choose the feel/experience they each want. Personally, I'd like a game that relies heavily on a loose core, has magic that can defy reality, and at times have full blown tactical combats ala 4e style.

I adopted 4e and had lots of fun with it for about 2 years (monthly online games), but since combats took so long, most of our sessions were overbalanced on combat, or if we explored and roleplayed, we were unable to get to do combat. I started to yearn for quicker, more story driven games, with an occasional longer combat. It was hard to do with 4e because shorter combats seemed too trivial for the players. At times, I actually wanted to find more ways (either through use of spells like spells from 1e, 2e and 3e, or through smart play) to short circuit combats so that they could end more quickly or be avoided entirely. Unfortunately, it felt as if the only way I could challenge the players was to pit them against a slew of challenging opponents in strange terrain. I felt that each encounter I had to "one up" to keep the stakes and tension growing.

I need a 5e, and if it feels like D&D, and we can roleplay, explore and combat (in equal amounts), and combat moves fast enough to sustain the narrative not break the narrative, and each player can have tons of choices when building and developing his or her character, I'll be extremely happy.

Last edited:

WarlockLord

First Post
The epic fighter pulls out his weapon and destroys the wall in a single action.

The epic ranger whistles and his pet fey bear (that he raised since a cub D'aaaww) blasts the wall with his roar and he rides it over the rubble.

The epic rogue climbs or jumps over the wall. He can't fail the check due to skill mastery.

The epic monk meditates then either knocks a hole in it (fighter-style) or flips over it (rogue-style) or phases through it (mystic style)

The epic warlord pumps up another character or henchman to use one of their wall-defeating abilities at lower or no cost.

Just because Many 4E fans like some sort of balance, does not mean we all want everything the same or martial characters to use the system of the magical.

BYW, the horribad support for epic in 4E limited the mechanical epiciness of 4E epic. Not the system.

But none of these are actually that epic. I mean, a mid-level 3e character could do these. The warlord is essentially giving using White Raven Tactics on someone who can do something, which is nice, but then why do you need a warlord? I agree with you that these should all be options, but none of them are high-level enough abilities to compare to a 3.X caster or balor. I mean, I HATE 3.X.s imbalance. Any game system that pretends that a certain character is viable with others only for it to not be true has failed the player. These aren't necessarily bad examples...but again, not close to what a high-level caster is capable of conceptually. We haven't even gotten into high-level 3.X battles where people are fighting demon wizards who can fly, teleport anywhere at will, telekinetically lock you down, control your mind, and destroy your magic.. (Scroll down to the balor). Skill mastery or having a bear are not going to get you close enough to hurt this guy. And all of these guys, as currently written, have trouble dealing with flying enemies, which is a staple of the fantasy genre.

Meanwhile the cleric and the wizard are in that cloud chariot flying through the feywild to pick up hawt eladrin chicks for their party in the magnificent mansion.

"Both sides" of the edition war? There are more than two sides. In my experience many gamers take pains to put up walls between their preferred edition and others' preferred editions, at least back to the AD&D vs. Basic split. The D&D fanbase will never be unified because a portion of it seems to desire disunity.

But that's not really the goal. The goal is to maximize the number of the fanbase who are interested enough in 5E to buy it.

pemerton

Legend
In the thread NeonChameleon started about bringing 5e players to 4e, he pointed out that one of the editions's strengths was making it so that wizard spells don't obviate skills. But I think this is part of the problem. The fact that in 4e, things you do don't really change.
I don't think this has to be true. And I say that because in my own 4e game it is not true.

The PHB and DMG both have a page or so explaining the differences between tiers. And the skill rules create the mechanical space to implement some of those differences, I think. At heroic tier I would not have permitted a PC to make an Endurance check to stick his hands into the forge to physically hold down an artefact being reshaped by dwarven artisans - and the player probably would never have asked. In paragon tier, when the player asked I set a DC and the scene duly played out.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases