Google Statistics on the Edition Wars: D&D & Pathfinder [updated]

dkyle

First Post
Yep. Whereas 3E is supported by online documents. As a 4E player and DM, I've done more searches for 3E than for 4E... for the purpose of showing off the differences and flaws of 3E.

Same here. I do a lot more searching for older editions. I already know 4E.

The D&D vs. Pathfinder comparison is pretty deeply flawed, because it excludes any searches for D&D that don't include an edition. For example:

Insight search shows that D&D, dnd, "Dungeons and Dragons", and "Dungeons Dragons" all, individually, dwarf Pathfinder in the RPG category.

mafelton

First Post
The existence and accessibility of the online compendium for 4e and the pfsrd for Pathfinder makes this data pretty much useless.

dd.stevenson

Super KY
The existence and accessibility of the online compendium for 4e and the pfsrd for Pathfinder makes this data pretty much useless.

Mostly agree. I think, however, that they could have gotten away with a graph of month-to-month percentage change. I also think there's scope for some interesting analysis of additional search terms.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
The D&D vs. Pathfinder comparison is pretty deeply flawed, because it excludes any searches for D&D that don't include an edition. For example:

Insight search shows that D&D, dnd, "Dungeons and Dragons", and "Dungeons Dragons" all, individually, dwarf Pathfinder in the RPG category.

As the "David" who passed on the link, I think it reflects both the rise of Pathfinder and enduring interest in 3.5, especially among more hardcore gamers...but also the wider brand that is D&D. I don't Pathfinder is any kind of challenge to the later, but has almost certainly been a big challenge in terms of, say, sales of hardback books.

jbear

First Post
I wonder if the fact that Pathfinder has all the rules online for free is a factor in this data.

For example, when I don't know something like how prone works, or the description of a spe, or I want to check out a class etc for pathfinder I search for that info online with a search like "Sleep Pathfinder" and bingo, I get the full spell description.

I would never do that with 4e as I know I can't find that information online.

Blackwarder

Adventurer
Actually, as 4e is very complete in its offerings, and a bit restrictive in what can be offered by 3rd parties... why should I google for 4e?

Everything I need is on the wizard´s homepage...

Exactly what I though, I don't google 4e, I just go to WotC site, I found KQ 4e stuff by mistake...

Warder

Google Statistics by Edition

This was an interesting read.
Google Statistics on the Edition Wars: D&D & Pathfinder | Awesome Dice Blog

The long and short of it is this graph:
dd-editions-vs-pathfinder-trend.jpg

3.5 shows a steady decline in searches until just after the release of 4th. Then it begins to rise in number of searches.
4th Spikes with it's release in `08, then holds steady for the next four years
Pathfinder spikes with it's release in `09, then shows steady growth.

I've no clue if Awesome Dice has an ax to grind or not. I just found the data interesting.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases