Losing Interest in the D&D Next Playtest?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I was genuinely curious to see how many people were still playtesting now that the survey period has already come and gone. (The survey I received in e-mail said that the polls were closed as of mid-June.) When I handed my survey in, I felt like my job was done.

It was disappointing to me that the survey closed before my group had chance to participate; to me the whole process is far, far too rapid - as opposed to those who feel that it's far too slow.

Dragongrief

Explorer
This is one of my concerns as well. I'm still playtesting, but any new feedback that I want to give, I don't really have the ability to do it in a fashion that I think will get any real notice.

If you're posting feedback here or on the Wizards forums, chances are it will be noticed.

I was kind of hoping that surveys on the first iteration of the playtest would come out once a month or so to catch any new concerns and to provide any other feedback that didn't come up in the first survey.

I agree with you here. For whatever reason, I didn't even receive the survey - fortunately one of my group did, so he was able to give feedback.

howandwhy99

Adventurer
Perhaps Wizards could simply suggest some alternative adventures with similar challenges? Something were the bestiary and traps from CoC could be substituted for the playtest?

Playing through all of the Caves of Chaos is no small feat. I find it a little hard to believe so many people have already.

Feeroper

Explorer
Wow, great thread Morrus! Thanks for trying to keep everyone grounded with their expectations. Situations like this can be easy to misunderstand

I do have to say though, that overall I am really impressed at the amount and quality of feedback that has been popping up on forums in the RPG community. Seems to be alot of really positive feedback, and a good chunk of the stuff that is being critisized is being done so in a helpful and respectful manner. I had thought there was going to be an explosion of edition warring all over the place but so far so good.

I really like the way WotC has handled this playtest. Ive gone through a few sessions and feel like I was able to provide some great feedback thusfar and have gone on to submit personal feedback as I feel is needed the more Ive played (been submitting via WotC's website, forums, community groups and the like). I feel like they have taken the right steps here to really get a handle on this edition and really embrace the community.

It was disappointing to me that the survey closed before my group had chance to participate; to me the whole process is far, far too rapid - as opposed to those who feel that it's far too slow.

So Wizards is in the position where by choosing to respond to one group's demands they are ignoring/hurting another group? I can't help but think that there's a useful comparison somewhere in there...

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
So Wizards is in the position where by choosing to respond to one group's demands they are ignoring/hurting another group? I can't help but think that there's a useful comparison somewhere in there...

Well, I can still offer feedback in other forms. Though I need to play some more first. Two hours wasn't really enough, I think.

Lord Rasputin

Explorer
Playing through all of the Caves of Chaos is no small feat. I find it a little hard to believe so many people have already.
Here might be part of the problem: we did. Years ago. My group is going through things find, little by little, and might get some new players (as in TOTALLY new to gaming) to try, but ... it's Keep on the Borderlands. Everyone (well, except total newbies) has played it. Once the new mechanics are down, it's easy to see how someone can tire of it.

BobROE

Explorer
(Note this all comes from someone who isn't participating in the playtest)

There's probably a middle ground that could be reached however.

They could have put out new class features/themes/whatever every N days/weeks.

Because if people stop play testing they stop thinking up useful contributions to the idea pool. This seems like something they should be trying to avoid.

And really, I'm sure they've got material that they could have people test, it's really a question of is it all put together in a fashion that can be released.

And on a side note, this playtest is nothing like video game testing. Video game testing is mechanical testing for bugs, WotC is looking for your opinion on the fun/feel of the game. This is really closest to a large open focus test more than anything else.

Stormonu

Legend
But, that aside, the two companies have/had different tasks: Paizo was expanding and developing a core system (D&D 3.5) which had been comprehensively playtested to death over a period of years by tens of thousands of people every week, whereas WotC is attempting to write a new system from the ground up.

I have to quibble on this. WotC's not "writing the game from the ground up", they're trying to retrofit 30 years of gaming into an edition that the largest number of folks will accept. If this was being built from the ground up, they certainly wouldn't have chosen Caves of Chaos as the module to use.

Remove ads