Planar Tuning Forks

Dagger75

Epic Commoner
How much do you charge for these things.

100gp, 1000gp 10000gp something else.

What about the common ones. Like The Outlands, Astral Plane, Ethereal Plane, probably the Elemental Planes.

What about the uncommon ones.

gfunk

First Post
The only time I have seen this adressed is in the Green Ronin module "Hell in Freeport." It states that in order to Plane Shift out of Hell, you need a tuning fork attuned to the Prime. Since only the most powerful devils can voluntarily exit Hell, these forks are virtually priceless. After all, what Devil wouldn't want to ravage the Prime?

I think this is true of most of the Lower Planes as well.

As to going in the other direction, from the Prime to other planes, I'm not sure.

dcollins

Explorer
Hmmm. I actually use an article from an old Dragon magazine (1st Ed. Manual of the Planes era) for information on plane shift tuning forks. There's no mention of pricing, and I never thought of that before. The main challenge is researching the proper material and frequency attunement (which I do in-game).

In that article, the Prime ones are the most obvious and common: simply a steel fork tuned to "C" (the material coming from the appropriate Prime plane, of course).

Last edited:

Olive

Explorer
well, i don't know, but it would make sense to me for the folks to be tunned on the plane in question... making prime ones quite common (at least on the prime)...

but pricing i don't know about

CapnZapp

Legend
The only time I have seen this adressed is in the Green Ronin module "Hell in Freeport." It states that in order to Plane Shift out of Hell, you need a tuning fork attuned to the Prime. Since only the most powerful devils can voluntarily exit Hell, these forks are virtually priceless. After all, what Devil wouldn't want to ravage the Prime?

I think this is true of most of the Lower Planes as well.

As to going in the other direction, from the Prime to other planes, I'm not sure.
The Dragon adventure Wells of Darkness also contains planar fork price suggestions.

CapnZapp

Legend
It would, yes :)

Particularly common in the Broken Reach marketplace are the metal rods used as material components for plane shifting to different layers of the Abyss. Rods for relatively well-known layers such as Pazunia, the Demonweb, Gap-ing Maw, Thanatos and Shendilavri sell for 3,000 gp. Rods for more obscure lay-ers, such as Twelvetrees, Shedaklah, and Androlynne sell for 9,000 gp. Rods for truly remote realms, such as the Dreaming Gulf, the Blood Shallows, or Zionyn sell for 15,000 gp. Certain rods are particularly rare, as the Abyss itself allowing travel to its deepest and most important layers. This includes layers such as Ulgurshek, Woeful Escarand and the Wells of Darkness; these rods cost 40,000 gp apiece.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases