Guitar heads: shopping for a gift

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
A thought: while tube amps generally sound better, a solid state modeling amp might be a better fit for a kid getting ready to go off to college, etc., so he doesn't have to tote all the pedals and take up limited living space with them, while still allowing him to experiment.

So, of the modeling amps, who rules: Fender G-DECs, Vox Valvetronix, Carvin SX, Line6 Spyders or someone else?

Wild Gazebo

Explorer
You might want to consider a Marshal Acoustic amp if the kid is into the Big Band sound. I know it seems like a niche, but my bother-in-law swears by them and he has been teaching jazz guitar for 20 years.

And just to give a nod to what you mentioned, I too heard that the Epiphone Dots, while no match for the Gibson ES's, are a good bang-for-your-buck in terms of that type of guitar.

Again, I'm really an acoustic guru, so my electric knowledge is second hand.

Okay, not a guitarist, but here's my take as an producer/engineer/drummer.

For a guitar, I would stay beginner classic, Baby Les Paul, Strat or Tele (all the basic models), no need for a $1500 guitar to start, especially with the styles mentioned. Of course a Gibson hollow body (ES-5, ES-335 or ES-175) is probably the best choice, though they are rather large and usually expensive. (You could probably go with the Epiphone version, but I would want a guitarist to take it through the paces in the store prior to purchase, just to check the action, the fret feel, tone, etc. to make sure you didn't pick up a clunker.)

For an amp - Line 6 makes a great tube, with their patented effects built in. Also, a classic Fender tube (Jazz, BLues, Musicmaster or Twin Reverb) would work really well with the styles proposed. Gives that crunchy clean sound of the late 40s early 50s and can be over driven to give that classic fuzz 60s/70s sound.

For effects, go cheap to start, and here's why. I know a lot of really good guitarists, they sound great, but one of the ones I respect the most made a simple statement. "I write everything on an acoustic, because if it doesn't sound good without the effects, then it really doesn't sound good with them." At first I thought, "really", but on reflection, he was right. It's like what I do in the booth, a great sample is easier to change into a phenomenal one than a bad sample into a passable one. So an inexpensive all inclusive foot pedal unit would be better than an expensive single stomp box. That way the kid can experiment with "his" sound instead of someone else's. :)

Also, buy the kid a tuner and a metronome, because gods knows the times I wished a guitarist was in tune and could keep on beat. ;)
Tfoot

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
"I write everything on an acoustic, because if it doesn't sound good without the effects, then it really doesn't sound good with them." At first I thought, "really", but on reflection, he was right.

I agree with that...to a point. I know some stuff simply doesn't sound right without the FX.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6Go2DK9VtQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/ame]

:D

Also, buy the kid a tuner and a metronome, because gods knows the times I wished a guitarist was in tune and could keep on beat.

That's one of the reasons I recommend things like the Korg Pandora*, etc.- every device like that has a metronome and a tuner, and each will have an array of other pure practice aids like drum beats for a variety of musical styles, phrase trainers, recording/computer interface capabilities and so forth.

* or their app equivalents for mobile devices.

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Update: Secret Grandma will have to find a new gift to give her grandson- she got ninja'd!

Her daughter gave her own guitar to her son. He will not be displeased, either. It was given to her by an old boyfriend...before he became a world famous musician.

(It's not signed, though...but he thinks it's cooler that way.)

Anyway, thanks to everyone who helped out on this!

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases