Burned Circle - OOC Thread

ThirdWizard

First Post
Shayuri:
[sblock]
1st Alertness - Juno can tell this guy is using a Guise of some sort. In fact, you're pretty sure he's a ghoul, as the disguise isn't really all that good. Most other creatures try to look pretty, but ghouls seem to have no sense of aesthetics.
2nd Alertness - Off by 2, so Juno learns nothing from this roll.
[/sblock]

Thanee & Dragonwriter:
[sblock]
Alertness - Both Keira & Logan notice a shadowy figure move behind Mara's sliding glass back door. It was fast and quiet, and the sunset makes it difficult to see outside, but you both definitely saw it.
[/sblock]

When Bluedevil gets his roll up, I'll put up the results and we'll go from there. Keira and Logan can start reacting, though, since the two groups are separated. Shayuri, you still going to take the compel? If you do, you'll have 2 FATE, otherwise, you'll have 0.

Last edited:

Bluedevil

First Post
Alertness and Lore damn missing posts again.

I dont see a damn thing. "hey guys, there are books in this room. Just let me put in my headphones and leave you alone for a few minutes."

Last edited:

ThirdWizard

First Post
Bluedevil:
[sblock]
Lore: You can easily tell that this guy is a ghoul in human guise. It's like he isn't even trying, really.
Alertness: If a marching band were assembling outside, you would be hard pressed to realize it.
[/sblock]

ThirdWizard

First Post
The Alertness roll that both you and Shayuri flubbed on was unrelated to this guy. Be secure in the fact that you both see the ghoul standing in front of you with the bat. Be insecure in the fact that there is something going on around you that you are both completely and utterly unaware of.

Side note: Shayuri could spend a FATE point to add +2 to the Alertness roll and succed on the check, but I wouldn't in this particular circumstance, mostly because the GM is telling you not to in this particular circumstance.

One detail that I'll throw in for free. The ghoul is still outside, which means he hasn't crossed the threshold yet, and both of you are taking threshold penalties until you get back outside. This only affect supernatural powers, of course. If you want to be on even ground with him in that regard, either you need to be outside or you need to convince him that crossing the threshold is better than not crossing it.

Shayuri

First Post
Okay, before I post, lemme just make sure I'm understanding right.

Is a 'ghoul' a human being who's serving a vampire? Or a separate type of supernatural critter? Or...what is a ghoul in Dresdenverse? :)

ThirdWizard

First Post
Short version:

Ghouls are incredibly strong and fast monsters who eat meat, and the more human the meat the better. They can disguise themselves as human, but as soon as they start fighting they usually revert to monster form, which is like a hideously disfigured human. They have long claws and sharp teeth and generally like to fight up close.

Ghouls have their own society, organized into clans, but rarely do they have their own goals with respect to the major players in the world. Instead they offer their services as mercenaries most of the time, fighting for whoever pays them the most or offers them the most scrumptious human flesh, or whatever they feel like getting. They aren't subtle at what they do most of the time unless, of course, they're being paid to be as subtle as a human eating monster can be.

Shayuri

First Post
hee hee

Okay, posted the lead-in to my action. A little unsure how to work this kind of thing in this system, but basically she's banking on this thing not expecting to just be grabbed and thrown right off the bat like that.

And she's TOTALLY going with this compel. :)

ThirdWizard

First Post
So, basically, you're trying to grab him briefly in order to pull him into the house. Sounds like Might to me. However, since I look at your character, I notice that you mentioned a little bit about some practice in martial arts she's had, so I'll let Fists complement your Might roll, giving you a +1 to the roll since your Fists is higher than your Might.

This will be a direct Might vs. Might check, you against him. If you succeed, you'll move him from the Back Yard zone to the Sandra's House zone (to get technical). The zone barrier between the two is a threshold which he'll be affected by. He's about as affected as you guys, as ghouls are mortal. He'll be at somewhat a disadvantage on some checks. Pulling in certain things, say a spirit, might not work (for future reference) but its fair game for a ghoul!

Go ahead and roll Might with a +1 bonus from Fists. I'll roll the ghoul's Might of Average (+1). In the case of a tie, nothing happens and you can continue to try again next exchange. In the case that he wins, he'll move back and you'll have to perform a maneuver to tag to try again (see YS211: grapple for what I'm basing this on). If you want me to explain this further, I will. If you win, he's pulled into the house and suffers penalties for crossing the threshold and will get the I DON'T WANT TO BE HERE temporary aspect.

Edit: Oops. I rolled twice by mistake. Just ignore that second one, it shouldn't be there.

Remove ads