Burned Circle - OOC Thread

ThirdWizard

First Post
Tags are great things.

Everything has aspects. You've got yours. The ghoul has his. You don't know what the ghoul's aspects are, exactly, but you can make assessments to find out what they are. Those are skill rolls that you make, and if you're high enough, I tell you an aspect. Good stuff.

There are also aspects that you can place on things. Those can be done in two ways: maneuvers and declarations. To get really technical on the FATE system, when you made declarations earlier, what you were doing was creating aspects. Maneuvers are you actually putting an aspect on something. So if you turn out the lights with an action, you're using a maneuver to create an aspect of SUDDEN DARKNESS or something of the like.

Now, to get back to tags. Normally to use an aspect, you have to spend a FATE point. If you know the guy you're fighting has the aspect THINKS GIRLS ARE ICKY, you can use that to your advantage against him. Maybe you want to gain +2 to a Persuasion check or whatever. You spend the FATE, you get +2. It's easy to find an aspect to handle most situations. For example, earlier on your Alertness roll, you could use your Aspect of Undead Slaying Police Officer because police officers have to be attentive. Find something that matches, and use it.

A tag is different. When you first learn of an aspect, the first use is free! No FATE points to spend. So, in effect BlueDevil is making a declaration, creating the aspect of GHOULS ARE TOP HEAVY on the ghoul, in order to give you a free +2 (tagging the aspect) to your roll. You could use the Aspect again later, but it would cost a FATE point.

This allows some creative play that avoids the usual problems of introducing new rules into the game. The first time is free! The second time is costly. Be creative and get free bonuses! But, you have to spend actions to create those aspects to tag, so its all balanced. As a side note, this is why maneuvers are so powerful. If you spend a few round setting up maneuvers you can really give yourself so many tags that you'll accomplish whatever it is you want. Given time, you can do amazing things.

ThirdWizard

First Post
Declaration failed (2 is not high enough). But, its fine because Juno beat the ghoul anyway! (phew!)

So the ghoul is inside and has the aspect from above. You are able to tag this aspect if you can find a relevant way to use it against the ghoul. Remember only one person can make the tag and from there on out, you have to use FATE points to do so.

I'll narrate the ghoul getting pulled in and its reaction. Busy at work right now. I'll have ti later today.

Dragonwriter

First Post
Thanee & Dragonwriter:
[sblock]
Alertness - Both Keira & Logan notice a shadowy figure move behind Mara's sliding glass back door. It was fast and quiet, and the sunset makes it difficult to see outside, but you both definitely saw it.
[/sblock]

Fast as in "too fast for a human?" Rough size/shape of the thing?

And do we hear the short yell from Juno yanking the ghoul inside?

ThirdWizard

First Post
The glass pane of the back door is too narrow to get a good idea of the speed of whatever it was you saw move across it. It was there for only a split second though, not creeping along.

And, yes you would have heard the ghoul's yell. It was pretty loud. That's a little more overt a clue than a moving shadow, I'll admit. I didn't know that was going to happen, though!

Intimidate: That intimidate isn't very effective.

I suppose combat will break out now unless you can avoid it.

Initiative is determined in Alertness order. PC Alertness is as such:
Juno - Great
Keira - Good (human) / Great (were-form)
Logan - Fair
Malcom - Average

During an exchange (DF for round), you'll go in that order. Monsters will go somewhere in there, depending on their own initiative. In this case, when I said ghouls were fast, that was no joke. Their Initiative is Epic (+7), so its unlikely that any of you will be able to go first against these things. The ghoul, feeling trapped and threatened, but no so much that he'll surrender (due to only an Average Intimidate), is going to try to fight his way out.

I want everyone to tell me what their actions will be on the first exchange. Keira and Logan are still inside and need to move it, but Juno and Malcom are facing off against a very unhappy ghoul and will have to do something about that. In Dresden, every offensive action is an opposed roll, so we'll do the rolling in the OOC thread for this to keep things a bit neater in the IC thread. Post up your actions for this round, along with the associated roll if you can, and I'll make the opposed rolls. From there we'll see where we stand and make some IC posts in initiative order.

Last edited:

Bluedevil

First Post
Malcom's plan is to wander outside since Juno has this well in hand. He is probably going to mutter something about the guy being too confident to be alone, while really hoping to avoid grounding his magic out by being on this side of the threashhold.

If you want to call on any of my aspects for tags, I wont object.

Shayuri

First Post
Bwahaha...he's not gonna use his sword?

Aw man...that's cold. Not having your partner's back!

(^_^)

Couple questions before I declarrrrreeee...

Would her Holy Touch power work on a ghoul? If so, does using it preclude an attack...that is, is it an action unto itself? And would being in the house mess it up?

ThirdWizard

First Post
[MENTION=4936]Shayuri[/MENTION]
I was just looking up Holy Touch in relation to you grabbing the ghoul. You have to be doing something related to your calling, which in your case would be in service to the Jaguar Sun or dealing with your calling against the dead in some way. So far you aren't, so you can't use that power.
[MENTION=6694788]Bluedevil[/MENTION]
Keep in mind that any magic crossing over the threshold will be just as affected by it as if you were in there yourself. The penalty is 1 accuracy and 1 power to your spells for Sandra's threshold. All adjustments after the rolls are made.

Shayuri

First Post
Arr...gotcha. I was originally thinking any spirit of the 'underworld' would do, but then I realized that's arguably like every supernatural critter we'll ever come across since -everything's- from the NeverNever. A bit general. So yes, lets leave it at undead. :)

In that case, Juno hauls off to slug the slug!

Top tier is...+5 I think, yes?

I'll pretty it up in me post once we resolve it.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases