vmaaxt

First Post
Hi there! I stumbled across your group while wandering the forums, and I'm really interested in joining a game, but I've never done a PbP before, so I'm not sure where to start. I've got a character concept in mind, so do I just roll it up and put it on the wiki, or do I need to get approval here first? Then do I just hang out in the tavern until a DM is ready to go?

GlassEye

Adventurer
Welcome! Our character creation guidelines are HERE if you haven't already found them. Make your character, add it to the wiki and post a note in the character submission thread letting us know it's finished. We'll have a couple of people check it over and give it the approval. While you wait for approvals you can have your character enter the Dunn Wright Inn and roleplay with whoever else is in the inn. When there is an adventure ready to go the DM will recruit from whoever is in the inn. There are other ways to recruit for adventures but the most common is through the inn.

Glad to have you aboard and if you have any other questions don't hesitate to ask!

vmaaxt

First Post
Thanks for the quick reply! I was also wondering how die rolls work. I've seen the embedded die roller mentioned, but I don't see it anywhere.

EDIT: Nevermind. I just needed to use my eyes.

GlassEye

Adventurer
You're welcome.

About dice rolls: you can use the embedded dice roller or invisible castle or any other dice roller that your DM approves. The DM usually will make mention of acceptable dice rolling methods in the first post of their game thread. If they don't, you can ask them about it.

The embedded dice roller also has very large dice graphics that many of us find to be too big and interuptive of posting. There is a streamlined version if you go into 'Settings' -> 'Settings and Options' -> 'Edit Options' -> 'Thread Display Options'. Checking the 'Streamlined' box will give a text only version when it displays in your post.

vmaaxt

First Post
Color

I've noticed a lot of people use colored text when playing. Is there any particular convention I should hold to when I'm in character? Any tips for posting other than color that I should know?

Systole

First Post
Most people pick a text color for their character, and then use that color for that character's dialogue (spoken or otherwise). For example, my summoner Sylla uses grey, while her eidolon Boots uses dark red. Boots is generally the party's forward scout, so a post might read something like this:

Boots cocks his head at the hammering noise from down the passage. I can hear something up ahead, boss.

Stay there. We'll follow. Sylla stops the party with a hand signal. "Boots hears something," she whispers. "Forward ... quietly."

The conventions for color use pretty much amount to:
  • Dialogue is colored. Other text is not. Exception: Some GMs color all of their in-game text.
  • Try not to use the same color as other characters you're interacting with.
  • Don't chose colors that are painful to read.
  • While not absolutely necessary, it helps if your chosen color reflects the character's personality. A heroic paladin probably uses a proud blue, while a darker and edgier character might prefer dark grey, and a druid might go for a nice foresty green.

Systole

First Post
Case in point, Daylily is the grungiest green I could find.

Also, he's not insane -- everyone else is. He still can't imagine why city-dwellers insist on removing the body's natural protective humours with this foul-tasting substance called soap. Or trading valuable magical items for stupid, soft, yellow metal that's only good for sling bullets. Seriously, you guys are nuts.

Chronikoce

First Post
New as well

Thanks for the info guys! Vmaxxt showed your group to me as well and I am super interested in joining the community. Started rolling up a character already and cannot wait to dive in.

You will probably see more posts from me as I get stuck learning the ropes.

I will start off with an easy one. I see how to wrap text with OOC and Think and such but where do I find the command for the spoiler box that I see a lot of you use? I like the idea of OOC being put into the spoiler box so definitely want to use it.

Also question on general etiquette for spoiler box use. Would it be overkill to put stuff like speaking in other than common, thinking, or anything else that other party members may not be able to have access to into the spoiler box or is it better to leave the posts less cluttered and players go by the honor system and not use player knowledge instead of character knowledge?

Satin Knights

First Post
The spoiler boxes are done with the following if the spaces are removed.
[ sblock = "box title" ] Text inside the box. [ /sblock ]

As to other languages, I have seen some use [sblock=Elven]The words spoken in the elven tongue... [/sblock]
Others simply use italics to mark their racial tongue. But then, sometimes they use italics to mark their internal thoughts that are not spoken aloud, so it varies.

As to colors, I use the dark gray to mark actions or "stage direction" when it is intermixed with the story prose. "We should use that door, pointing to the left one, if we are going to get ahead of them."

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases