O.G.R.E: Online Generic Randomizer Engine

Fox Lee

Explorer
A few questions (which may be worth clarifying in the wiki text itself)

Tables can reference tables - does this include themselves? Like, could you implement the oft-seen "100) Roll twice" by giving your table its own name in position 100?

Can scripts be used in tables or only in generators? If they can be used in tables, do I put them before or after the body of the table, or can I use them between rows?

Is the example given the exact syntax for a table - i.e.:
1) Thing1
2) Thing 2
...etc.? Are the brackets, spaces and line breaks necessary for O.G.R.E to recognise the table items?And can one use leading zeroes (like, 01 instead of 1)?

Can you use a number range in the table, e.g. 01-05 as in the image example, or must you make multiple entries for a particular result if you want that one to be more probable than another?

(EDIT: Remembered that this thread is pretty old and I should probably mention [MENTION=1]Morrus[/MENTION] or something if I want a response ^^; Did I do that right?)

Last edited:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
A few questions (which may be worth clarifying in the wiki text itself)

Tables can reference tables - does this include themselves? Like, could you implement the oft-seen "100) Roll twice" by giving your table its own name in position 100?

No, it won't let you create a possibly infinite loop.

Can scripts be used in tables or only in generators? If they can be used in tables, do I put them before or after the body of the table, or can I use them between rows?

Certainly some can be used in tables; I haven't tried them all. I don't understand the second half of your question.

Is the example given the exact syntax for a table - i.e.:
1) Thing1
2) Thing 2
...etc.? Are the brackets, spaces and line breaks necessary for O.G.R.E to recognise the table items?And can one use leading zeroes (like, 01 instead of 1)?

I'm not understanding the question again.

I'm guessing you haven't seen the system yet? It was active a while ago before the hack, and there's a beta version active now. When you see it, you'll see that tables are created in text box fields, not a blank canvass. Generators are creates on blank canvasses. So you can't insert things between table rows, and the brackets and spaces aren't actually part of the system. A quick look will totally clear all that up for you (I've put a link at the bottom of this post).

Can you use a number range in the table, e.g. 01-05 as in the image example, or must you make multiple entries for a particular result if you want that one to be more probable than another?

Yes.

It's probably easier for you to just play around with the system itself. Bear in mind it may be slightly buggy.

Fox Lee

Explorer
Nope, never seen the system. The information given in the wiki article was all I could find, so I assumed it was an example of how the system actually worked. I see it now! Thanks.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Nope, never seen the system. The information given in the wiki article was all I could find, so I assumed it was an example of how the system actually worked. I see it now! Thanks.

Feel free to try it out! The more the merrier!

coriolis

Explorer
Can we edit exisiting tables which we haven't built? There's a typo in the last sentence of the Sci Fi Corporation Generator that should be fixed ("It's main breakthrough is..." should be "Its main breakthrough is...")

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Can we edit exisiting tables which we haven't built? There's a typo in the last sentence of the Sci Fi Corporation Generator that should be fixed ("It's main breakthrough is..." should be "Its main breakthrough is...")

No, you can't alter other people's tables; you can just reference them. Thanks for pointing that out though!

Hedrik

First Post
Error saving first test generator...

Just tried creating my first generator:

"This is a test of the {Mephos[Disease]} O.G.R.E system."

Unfortunately when I tried saving it, or even previewing it, I received the following error:

"An error occured in getting the block for Disease."

Note please that I did copy/paste the generator reference from the generator's description page (
id=270) as recommended, rather than typing it in by hand.

I do see that this generator has the category of "No category" - perhaps that is the issue? If so, I recommend not allowing saves without a category being selected...
:cool:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
O.G.R.E.

Try using his table, rather than his generator. I get the same issue with his generator, but using his table works fine. His generator just prints the table.

Remove ads