Redbadge's Crypt of the Everflame (IC)




+ Log in or register to post
Page 1 of 58 123456789101151 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 572
  1. #1
    Registered User
    Defender (Lvl 8)

    Redbadge's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Destin, FL
    Posts
    608
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    ZEITGEIST

    Ý Ignore Redbadge

    Redbadge's Crypt of the Everflame (IC)

    Crypt of the Everflame by Jason Bulmahn

    Important Links:


    Link to Campaign Manager.

    Character Sheets.

    Metagame/OOC.

    Rewards.

    Archived updates.

    Campaign Status

    Current Date and Time: 7 Neth, 4709 AR (08:12:29)
    Current Party Location: Entry Hall, Crypt of the Everflame, Serpent Gorge, 40 Miles South of Kassen, Southern Fangwood, Nirmathas, Avistan, Inner Sea Region, Golarion
    Developments: Three days ago, the young heroes of Kassen embarked on the Quest of the Everflame, their coming-of-age ceremony and an old tradition in which they will retrieve a piece of the eternal flame burning in the tomb of the townís founder. Yesterday, the heroes finally arrived. This morning, they have entered the crypt and discovered that an unholy blight has fallen upon the villagers sent ahead of them.

    Current Status, Gamble
    Gamble Benguile (Male gnome bard 1)
    CG small humanoid (gnome)
    Str 8
    Dex 14 Con 10 Int 14 Wis 12 Cha 18

    Key Skills Acrobatics +0, Bluff +8, Climb -3, Diplomacy +8, Escape Artist +0, Heal +1, Knowledge (Local) +7, Knowledge (Any) +3, Perception +7, Perform (wind instruments or act) +8, Sense Motive +1, Spellcraft +6, Stealth +8, Swim -3

    Init +2 Spd 20 ft. Senses Low-light vision (normal light); Perception +7
    AC 17, touch 13, FF 15 (+4 dodge versus giants) HP 5/8 Temp HP 0
    Fort +0 Ref +4 Will +3 CMB -2 CMD 10
    Misc +2 saves versus illusions

    Ranged Attack light crossbow (80 ft.) +3 (1d6/19-20)
    -Crossbow bolts: 10/10 (crossbow loaded)
    Melee Attack dagger +0 (1d3 -1/19-20)
    Misc +1 attack versus reptilians and goblinoids

    Currently Wielding Light Crossbow (loaded)
    Current Armor Studded Leather Armor, Buckler, Entertainer's Outfit
    Stowed on Person (Sheaths, straps, pockets, etc.) 9 Crossbow Bolts, Dagger, Harmonica, Spell Component Pouch, Flint and Steel, 26 gp
    Stowed in Packs (Backpacks, belt pouches, saddle bags, etc.) None
    Current Encumbrance 19.5 lbs (light load) Medium Load 19.51 lbs Heavy Load 39.76 lbs Max 60 lbs

    Active Abilities
    1st-Level Spells:
    0/2 (Cure Light Wounds, Grease)
    Cantrips: ~/~
    (Detect Magic, Light, Mage Hand, Read Magic)
    Spell-like Abilities: 1/1 (
    Dancing Lights), 1/1 (Ghost Sound), 1/1 (Prestidigitation), 1/1 (Speak with Animals)
    Bardic Performances: 10/14 (Countersong, Distraction, Fascinate, Inspire Courage)

    Current Effects and Conditions:
    Light (100/100), flat-footed
    Current Status, Snaggle
    Snaggle Blanc (Male kobold sorcerer 1)
    LN small humanoid (reptilian)
    Str 8 Dex 16 Con 9 Int 12 Wis 10 Cha 16

    Key Skills Acrobatics +3, Climb -1, Craft (trap-making) +7, Disable Device +7, Escape Artist +3, Knowledge (Arcana) +5, Perception +2, Stealth +11, Swim -1

    Init +3 Spd 30 ft. Senses Darkvision 60 ft. (dim light); Perception +2
    AC 19, touch 14, FF 16 HP 8/8 Temp HP 0
    Fort -1 Ref +3 Will +2 CMB -2 CMD 11
    Misc +2 saves versus gaze attacks

    Melee Attack Spear +0 (1d6-1/20)

    Currently Wielding Spear
    Current Armor Nothing (Leather Apron, Goggles)
    Stowed on Person (Sheaths, straps, pockets, etc.) Caltrops, Thieves Tools, 22 gp
    Stowed in Packs (Backpacks, belt pouches, saddle bags, etc.) None
    Current Encumbrance 3.5 lbs (light load) Medium Load 19.5 lbs Heavy Load 39.75 lbs Max 60 lbs

    Active Abilities
    1st-Level Spells: 3/4 (Burning Hands, Mage Armor)
    Cantrips: ~/~ (Acid Splash, Detect Magic, Mage Hand, Read Magic)
    Spell-like Abilities: 6/6 Trap Rune

    Current Effects and Conditions: Mage Armor (588/600), flat-footed
    Current Status, Joseph
    Joseph Gault (Male human fighter 1)
    LN medium humanoid (human)
    Str 18
    Dex 13 Con 13 Int 12 Wis 12 Cha 10

    Key Skills Acrobatics -3, Bluff +0, Climb +4, Diplomacy +0, Escape Artist -3, Handle Animal +4, Heal +1, Intimidate +0,
    Knowledge (Any) +1, Knowledge (Dungeoneering) +5, Perception +1, Sense Motive +1, Stealth -3, Survival +5, Swim +4

    Init +1 Spd 20 ft. Senses Normal vision (normal light); Perception +1
    AC 16, touch 11, FF 15 HP 11/11 Temp HP 0
    Fort +3 Ref +1 Will +1 CMB +5 CMD 16

    Melee Attack Greatsword +5 (2d6 + 6/19-20) [honed, +1 damage with first strike]
    Melee Attack Morningstar +5 (1d8 + 6)
    Melee Attack Dagger +5 (1d4 + 4/19-20) [honed, +1 damage with first strike]
    Melee Attack Sap +5 (1d6 + 4) [non-lethal]
    Ranged Attack Dagger (10 ft.) +2 (1d4 + 4/19-20) [honed, +1 damage with first strike]
    Ranged Attack Shortbow (60 ft.) +2 (1d6/x3)
    -Arrows: 20/20
    -Arrows (Blunt): 10/10

    Currently Wielding Morningstar (light)
    Current Armor Scale Mail, Explorer's Outfit
    Stowed on Person (Sheaths, straps, pockets, etc.) Dagger, Dagger, Sap, Shortbow, Arrows (20), Blunt Arrows (10), Belt Pouch A, Belt Pouch B, Backpack
    Stowed in Packs (Backpacks, belt pouches, saddle bags, etc.) Belt Pouch A (Flint and Steel, Whetstone, Map to the Crypt, Coin Purse [87 g]), Belt Pouch B ([11 gp, 3 sp, 2 cp], Potion of Cure Light Wounds), Backpack (Backpack, Backpack, Lamp Oil (2 pints), Silver Lantern, Bottle of Local Brandy [half full], Tinderbox and 2 Tindertwigs), Tied to Backpack (Short Sword [Masterwork], Full Waterskin, Full Waterskin, Torch, Torch, Torch)
    Stored (Footlockers, etc.) At Crypt Entrance (Small Tent, Small Tent, Winter Blanket, Winter Blanket, Winter Blanket, Large Pillow)
    Current Encumbrance 90.5 lbs (light load) Medium Load 100.01 lbs Heavy Load 200.01 lbs Max 300 lbs

    Active Abilities
    Combat Options:
    Charge (full round action), Power Attack (standard action), Cleave (standard action), Quick Draw (free action)
    Combat Maneuvers: Bull Rush, Dirty Trick, Disarm, Drag, Grapple, Overrun, Reposition, Steal, Sunder, Trip

    Current Effects and Conditions:
    Flat-footed
    Current Status, Lissa
    Lissa (Female halfling druid 1)
    NG small humanoid (halfling)
    Str 8
    Dex 16 Con 11 Int 12 Wis 16 Cha 14

    Key Skills Acrobatics +0, Bluff +2, Climb -4, Diplomacy +2, Escape Artist +0,
    Handle Animal +6, Heal +7, Knowledge (Any) +1, Knowledge (Nature) +7, Perception +9, Ride +4, Sense Motive +3, Stealth +4, Survival +9, Swim -4, Wild Empathy +3
    Miscellaneous: +4 to Handle Animal and Wild Empathy with animal companion

    Init +3 Spd 15 ft. Senses Normal vision (normal light); Perception +9
    AC 18, touch 14, FF 15 HP 5/8 Temp HP 0
    Fort +3 Ref +4 Will +6 CMB -2 CMD 11

    Ranged Attack halfling slingstaff (80 ft.) +4 (1d6-1/x3)
    -Sling bullets: 4/4, -Magic Stones: 1/3, +5 (1d6/x3); (2d6 + 1 damage versus undead)
    Melee Attack halfling slingstaff (club) +0 (1d4-1/x2)

    Currently Wielding Halfling slingstaff
    Current Armor Hide Armor, Explorer's Outfit
    Stowed on Person (Sheaths, straps, pockets, etc.) 5 sling bullets, sprig of holly (DF), mineral prism (F), 8 sp
    Stowed in Packs (Backpacks, belt pouches, saddle bags, etc.) Exotic riding saddle (Nyra), Saddlebags (Nyra), 15 Days' Rations (Saddlebags), 2 Full Waterskins (Saddlebags), 50' Hempen Rope (Saddlebags), Grappling Hook (Saddlebags)
    Stored (at campsite) Bedroll, Winter Blanket
    Current Encumbrance 17.75 lbs (light load) Medium Load 19.51 lbs Heavy Load 39.76 lbs Max 60 lbs

    Active Abilities
    1st-Level Spells:
    0/1 (Cure Light Wounds/Summon Nature's Ally I), 0/1 (Magic Stone/Summon Nature's Ally I)
    Cantrips: ~/~
    (Guidance, Create Water, Purify Food and Drink)

    Current Effects and Conditions:
    Magic stone (287/300), flat-footed
    Current Status, Nyra
    Nyra (Female lion companion 1)
    N medium animal (big cat, lion)
    Str 13
    Dex 17 Con 13 Int 2 Wis 15 Cha 10

    Key Skills Acrobatics +7, Climb +1, Escape Artist +3,
    Intimidate +0, Perception +2 (+10 with scent), Stealth +3, Survival +2, Swim +5

    Init +3 Spd 40 ft. Senses
    Low-light vision (normal light), Scent; Perception +2 (+10 with scent)
    AC 14, touch 13, FF 11 HP 04/11 Temp HP 0
    Fort +4 Ref +6 Will +2 CMB +2 (+4 finesse maneuvers) CMD 15 (19 versus trip)

    Melee attack bite +4 (1d6 + 1)
    Full Attack bite +4 (1d6 + 1), claw +4 (1d4 + 1), claw +4 (1d4 + 1)
    Grapple +2 versus CMD (provokes)

    Rake 2 claw attacks (free action) against creatures grappled since the start of turn

    Current Rider None
    Current Armor None
    Stowed on Person (Sheaths, straps, pockets, etc.) Exotic riding saddle, saddlebags
    Stowed in Packs (Backpacks, belt pouches, saddle bags, etc.) 15 Days' Rations (Saddlebags), 2 Full Waterskins (Saddlebags), 50' Hempen Rope (Saddlebags), Grappling Hook (Saddlebags)
    Current Encumbrance 75 lbs (light load) Medium Load 75.01 lbs Heavy Load 150.01 lbs Max 225 lbs

    Active Abilities
    Handle Companion
    Free action (DC 10, 12 if injured) Push Companion Move action (DC 25, 27 if injured)
    Available Tricks Attack, Come, Defend, Down, Guard, Heel Current Trick Heel Current Mount Action None
    Available Mount Actions Ride (free action, DC 0), Mount/Dismount (move action, DC 0), Fast Mount/Dismount (free action, DC 20), Guide with Knees (free action, DC 5), Stay in Saddle (no action, DC 5), Take Cover Behind Mount (immediate action, DC 15), Have Mount Attack (free action, DC 10), Soft Fall (no action, DC 15), Leap Obstacle (no action, DC 15), Spur Mount (no action, DC 15)

    Current Effects and Conditions:
    Flat-footed


    OOC: Ignore the roll below. I was accidentally looking at the wrong post when I made that roll.
    Last edited by Redbadge; Thursday, 23rd August, 2012 at 04:33 PM.

 

  • #2
    Registered User
    Defender (Lvl 8)

    Redbadge's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Destin, FL
    Posts
    608
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    ZEITGEIST

    Ý Ignore Redbadge
    4 Neth 4709, Dawn (6:55:06)
    Town of Kassen, Nirmathas

    Introduction

    It is late autumn, in the small town of Kassen, and the winter winds have already begun to blow. Dawn is beginning to break on the 4th of Neth, and this is a special day for this hamlet of lumberjacks and woodworkers. This is the day in 4535, over 170 years ago, that the founder of the town, Ekat Kassen, set out with his men to locate and destroy the camp of a group of relentless raiders. The raidersí camp, located deep in the heart of the Southern Fangwood, was an ancient crypt later to be called the Crypt of the Everflame.

    Though the villagers of Kassen were victorious, their beloved leader died during the battle at the crypt. Ekat Kassen was interred inside, alongside the other villagers and raiders that were slain. Today, the place serves as a memorial, with an eternal flame having been placed above Kassenís final resting place, so that all who visited might find warmth in the wilderness.

    History of Kassen (DC 10 Knowledge (History))
    Almost 200 years ago, when the land that was to become Nirmathas was still a vassal of the empire of Cheliax, the northern reaches of the Fangwood were a wild and untamed place. The crusades that laid low the Whispering Tyrant to the north were a distant memory, and those who remained were intent upon keeping the orcs of Belkzen and the remaining undead from Ustalav in check. As a result, the great forest was full of danger, from marauding orcs to deadly predators, making it unsafe for merchants hoping to trade with the growing community of Skelt in the foothills of the Mindspin Mountains to the west.

    Ekat Kassen was a crusader and fortune seeker who came to serve Lastwall in the year 4515 AR. While he fought with distinction, he soon realized that he wanted more from life and left the Lastwall military to find his fortune elsewhere. His travels took him all over the region around Lake Encarthan, and he decided to settle down in 4522 after a very profitable adventure. Using a sizable portion of his fortune, he set out to tame a small area of the Fangwood on the banks of the Tourondel River, making it a natural stopover for those traveling up and down the river to Skelt. For the next 10 years, the town, which was then known as Kassenís Hold, grew and prospered.

    All that changed when Asar Vergas came to Kassenís Hold with a host of mercenaries under his command. Asar was an old companion of Ekat, and the two had traveled together for some time before splitting up just after Ekatís last adventure. Over the years, Asar became sure that Ekat had cheated him after that adventure. Promising great wealth to his mercenaries, Asar raided the town relentlessly for 2 months. Finally, the townsfolk managed to locate Asarís camp in an ancient crypt deep in the forest, and Ekat himself went out to deal with his old companion. The battle was terribly bloody, with only a few townsfolk coming back to tell the tale. In the end, Asar was slain and his mercenaries scattered, but Ekat suffered a mortal wound. He died 2 days later, on the 11th day of Neth, 4535. In honor of their beloved founder, the townsfolk buried Kassen in the ancient crypt, interring his bones in a place of honor, above the simple sarcophagi used to inter Asar, his mercenaries, and the townsfolk that lost their lives in the bitter struggle. They placed an eternal flame above Kassenís final resting place, so that all who visited might find warmth in the wilderness.

    OOC: Normally, you want to avoid reading spoilers such as these until after youíve confirmed that youíve succeeded on the required roll in a later post. If you fail the roll, but still choose to read the spoiler, remember that your character does not know the information unless someone later tells him about it. If your character is truly interested, she can ask another PC or NPC that knows about the history of the town. Note that normally Knowledge checks cannot be used untrained, but since this is a DC of 10 or less, anyone can attempt the check. Also, since you are each citizens of Kassen, you get a +2 bonus on your Knowledge (History) check.

    Over the years, the Crypt of the Everflame has become an important part of the history of the town. The townsfolk view the crypt as a testament of those difficult first years of the townís history. Every autumn, a few of the townsfolk make a pilgrimage to the crypt to light a lantern from the flame and bring it back to town, where it is preserved all winter, a symbol of the townís resilience. Most years, the town mayor and a group of dignitaries perform this quest. Every few years, however, a handful of younger townsfolk are given the honor of lighting the lantern. Many see this as a passage into adulthood, a taste of adventure before settling down to work and marriage. The quest starts out as a solemn ceremony in town, where the townsfolk gather to wish the adventurers luck, just as it was when Kassen himself left to fight the raiders. When the adventurers return a few days later, the town holds a great celebration in their honor. This also marks the final harvest celebration before the long winter. Over the years, this ritual has grown more and more elaborate, and the town has prepared something special for this year.

    It has been four years since the mayor last decided to send a group of young heroes to the crypt. This year, it is your turn to reclaim the fire from Kassenís crypt, a quest youíve been waiting for over the last several weeks. Your adventure will begin during a solemn ceremony in the town square, in which you will be sent out to retrieve the Everflame. The quest itself is a relatively simple one. You must travel to the tomb (about 40 miles south of town), venture inside, light the lantern, and return home. With the morning sun starting to peek in at the town, youíll soon be able to begin your journey. The ceremony will begin at noon.

  • #3
    Registered User
    Defender (Lvl 8)

    Redbadge's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Destin, FL
    Posts
    608
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    ZEITGEIST

    Ý Ignore Redbadge
    Town of Kassen

    Kassen is a small town ruled by Mayor Uptal, a fair, but mildly grim man. While most of the “townsfolk” actually live in small homes or camps in the woods and fields surrounding Kassen proper, the town is quite tightknit. As with most of the folk in Nirmathas, they stand up for one another and refuse to be pushed around.

    KASSEN
    Hamlet conventional (mayor); AL CG; Base Value 500 gp
    DEMOGRAPHICS
    Population 750; Type isolated (human 93%, halfling 3%, half-orc 2%, elf 1%, half-elf 1%)
    AUTHORITY FIGURES
    Jonark Uptal (NG male human aristocrat 3), elected mayor of Kassen; Colbin Vetnar (LN male human expert 3/ rogue 2), woodcutter guildmaster; Gregor Wisslo (LG male human fighter 4), fighter mentor and captain of the guard; Holgast (N male human wizard 6), town sage; Rantal Prasst (NG male human cleric of Erastil 2), priest.



    1. Seven Silvers
    2. Greathall
    3. Woodcutter’s Guildhall
    4. Temple of Erastil
    5. Town Watch Headquarters
    6. Renet’s Steel
    7. Don Blanc’s Home
    8. Sir Dramott’s Home
    9. Braggar’s Shop
    10. Vargidan Estate
    11. Holgast’s Tower
    12. Mayor Uptal’s Home
    13. Arnama’s Home

    With the sun rising, most of the town has already begun to stir. Most are excited about the start of the ceremony and hope to see you off on your journey. Although the ceremony won’t start until noon, each of your mentors will want to talk to you before you head off on your quest later today. In addition, Mayor Uptal would like to see the party before you make your way to the town square. Other than that, you probably have enough time to visit one or two other places in town.

    GM: Please describe yourself as you get up and prepare for your quest today. Include how you’ll be spending the first part of your morning and where your character will be headed first. Also, any time you go to make a post, remember to check the campaign status in the first post, which I will continually update. Don’t forget to put on your armor and prepare any spells you have this morning.

    If you decide to include a “Current Status” block at the bottom of your post, I suggest copying and pasting the block from your character sheet and editing in any necessary adjustments (you can switch between WYSIWYG and CODE editing modes using the little button in the very upper right of the post editor). Normally, you would only need to include your current status in your post if something changed since the last time it was posted. If you have any questions about how to proceed, or what kinds of information would be good or interesting to include in your “Current Status”, post a question in the Metagame/OOC thread.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Town of Kassen.jpg  
    Last edited by Redbadge; Thursday, 12th July, 2012 at 09:29 PM.

  • #4
    As Gamble awakes with a start, the first thing he notices is his stiff, aching back, and his pounding headache. The next thing he notices, while looking up at the ceiling, is that it seems much, much closer than usual. With a mild groan, the gnome closes his eyes and wills his head to stop spinning.

    A young perky voice calls across the room, “Finally awake are we? You should be up and about then. Father wanted me to drag you both outside after you passed out during your wild night last night, but I convinced him to let you be. By the way, if you find that you are missing your coin purse, I would consult with Jimes.


    Gamble opens his eyes and looks to his left, where Asina, a pretty teenage girl, is gesturing towards a small lump in the corner. The lump seems like it is in even worse shape than Gamble. Gamble smiles and struggles to sit up, when he suddenly realizes why the ceiling is so close. As he slowly crawls out from under the table, he can’t fail to notice that he once again fell asleep in his clothes and armor, and is obviously lacking for a bath on top of that. The pain in the small of his back can easily be explained by the small harmonica still left in the middle of the floor underneath the table.


    After retrieving his harmonica and making sure he didn’t damage it during the night by sleeping on top of it (Gamble concluded that it did much more harm to him than he to it), the bard looks towards where the lump, Jimes “Short Change” Iggins, lays unconscious. The halfling is curled up in the corner formed by the taproom’s small stage and the wall. The awkward position does not look comfortable. Gamble notices that Jimes is clutching something closely to his chest, even as he slumbers.


    Gamble looks to Asina, who has already returned to preparing the inn for the day’s certain rush from the forthcoming activities. He nods at her, putting on his best hungover smile, “Thanks, Miss Asina.” He walks over to the base of the stage and carefully retrieves the coin purse from the Halfling rogue’s hands. Jimes grunts a bit as the stolen money leaves his grip, but otherwise doesn’t move from the contorted position he is in. Gamble feels no remorse about retrieving the gold. After all, he had won it fair and square last night.


    Before he can even begin to set about on his day, he realizes that there is no doubt about it. He needs a bit of tidying. He conjures up his gnomish magic and begins cleaning himself and his gear with
    Prestidigitation. Ah, he thinks to himself, “Just one more good thing about being a gnome… no messing around with that filthy lye soap.” Just as he is finishing up, Asina pauses long enough in her work to speak to him again.

    I suppose you’ll be wanting breakfast as well, then?


    If it is not too much trouble, Miss. I think it’ll help with this headache of mine.


    You mean hangover, don’t you? What possessed you to participate in a night like that anyways, what with the ceremony and your quest starting today.


    Gamble winks at her, and holds up the coin purse. She just laughs.


    While Asina fetches up a plate of food for him (after attempting to wake up Jimes), Gamble performs his daily harmonica ritual, calling upon the bardic magic that gifts him with arcane powers. After playing a few good songs (to the delight of Asina, and the chagrin of Mr. Iggins), and eating the bowl of porridge Asina brings him, Gamble feels fully recharged. Just as he’s getting ready to leave, Asina says, “By the way, Jocyn wanted to talk to you once you were ready.


    Is he still upstairs?” asks Gamble, motioning towards the staircase leading to the second story of the Inn.


    No, he came downstairs before dawn, noticed you were out cold, and asked me to send you after him. He went to Holgast’s.


    What is he doing there?


    He didn’t say.


    OK. Anyways, thanks for the breakfast. I guess I’ll see you at the ceremony?” Seeing the girl nod, Gamble smiles and winks at her once more, then heads out the door towards Holgast’s tower.


    Actions
    Cast Prestidigitation.
    Daily readying of spells (15-minutes concentration).
    Collect and ready gear.
    Head to Area 11 (Holgast's Tower).

    Current Status
    Gamble Benguile (Male gnome bard 1)
    CG small humanoid (gnome)
    Str 8
    Dex 14 Con 10 Int 14 Wis 12 Cha 18

    Key Skills Acrobatics +0, Bluff +8, Climb -3, Diplomacy +8, Escape Artist +0, Heal +1, Knowledge (Local) +7, Knowledge (Any) +3, Perception +7, Perform (wind instruments or act) +8, Sense Motive +1, Spellcraft +6, Stealth +8, Swim -3

    Init +2 Spd 20 ft. Senses Low-light vision (bright light); Perception +7
    AC 17, touch 13, FF 15 (+4 dodge versus giants) HP 8/8 Temp HP 0
    Fort +0 Ref +4 Will +3 CMB -2 CMD 10

    Ranged Attack light crossbow (80 ft.) +3 (1d6/19-20)
    -Crossbow bolts: 10/10 (crossbow unloaded)
    Melee Attack dagger +0 (1d3 -1/19-20)
    Misc +1 attack versus reptilians and goblinoids

    Currently Wielding Nothing (hands free)
    Current Armor Studded Leather Armor (buckler stowed, -1 AC, +1 ACP)
    Stowed on Person (Sheaths, straps, pockets, etc.) Buckler, Light crossbow, 10 Crossbow Bolts, Dagger, Spell Component Pouch, Flint and Steel, Harmonica, 26 gp
    Stowed in Packs (Backpacks, belt pouches, saddle bags, etc.) None
    Current Encumbrance 19.5 lbs (light load) Medium Load 19.51 lbs Heavy Load 39.76 lbs Max 60 lbs

    Active Abilities
    1st-Level Spells:
    2/2 (Cure Light Wounds, Grease)
    Cantrips: ~/~
    (Detect Magic, Light, Mage Hand, Read Magic)
    Spell-like Abilities: 1/1 (
    Dancing Lights), 1/1 (Ghost Sound), 0/1 (Prestidigitation), 1/1 (Speak with Animals)
    Bardic Performances: 14/14 (Countersong, Distraction, Fascinate, Inspire Courage)

    Current Effects and Conditions: Flat-footed


    Last edited by Courage; Thursday, 12th July, 2012 at 10:45 PM.

  • #5
    Registered User
    Acolyte (Lvl 2)

    Isklexi's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    218
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    I Defended The Walls!

    Ý Ignore Isklexi
    Snaggle's eyes snapped open; he always got up just before dawn thanks to the obnoxious songbirds in the area. Don had discouraged him from setting traps for the birds a long time ago. Snaggle slid out of bed and pulled the bed sheets neatly back into place. It would be a while yet before Don awoke giving Snaggle time to prepare for the day ahead.

    Snaggle crept down the stairs from his attic bedroom heading for the kitchen in complete darkness. He stoked the banked coals in the stove to get the fire burning again and placed a large pot of water on the stove before heading back upstairs. Back in his room, Snaggle sat with his back to the stove's exhaust pipe wrapping his tail around it and letting the warmth sink into him as he meditated. The sizzling of magic in his veins was just as comforting as the heat from the stove.

    The small kobold rose and pulled his leather apron from a peg to don it. He then went through several neatly organized drawers filling the apron's pockets with tools. As he filled the right breast pocket with caltrops, he paused:
    "Hmmm, the last time I was at the Seven Silvers, I had my coins in my lower left pocket, and Short Change is sure to be at the ceremony today."

    Snaggle shifted the caltrops to his lower lefthand pocket. Finally, he fastened his goggles onto his face and pushed them up onto his forehead; he wouldn't need them while all the curtains and shutters in the house were still closed.

    Snaggle slipped back to the kitchen. The water had begun to steam and bubble slightly. He climbed up onto the counter and pulled two mugs out of a cabinet and dried tea leaves from a jar. Putting the leaves into the mugs, he placed the mugs on the kitchen table and ladled some of the hot water into each mug to steep. Snaggle then set about making oatmeal from the rest of the water and food from the pantry.

    As Snaggle stirred the pot, a creaking noise and muffled grumbling came from the hallway. Don had fixed the floorboards in the hall at least a dozen times, and Snaggle had just as diligently "unfixed" them; he liked to know when Don was awake. Snaggle hopped down from the stool he had been standing on and slid his goggles over his eyes. He then scurried around the kitchen pulling aside curtains and opening shutters to let the morning light in.

    Snaggle ladled oatmeal into bowls on the table as the old human sat down in a chair with a groan, and Snaggle broke the silence.


    "Good morning dad; I made breakfast."

    "Yum, looks like oatmeal with berries and uh salted meat? How um thorough of you." replied Don, smiling weakly as he started to eat the questionable meal.

    Snaggle had never quite mastered the subtleties of cooking.


    "I have to go by the Vargidan estate before the ceremony today. Master Vargidan said he wanted to see me beforehand."

    "Did he say why?"

    "No. Maybe he just needs to be reminded what day it is. Some of his springs aren't bouncing back like they used to if you catch my drift."

    Snaggle finished off his food and deposited the dishes into the kitchen wash tub. "
    I made breakfast, so you get to clean the dishes. Don't forget to clean them before going to the ceremony. I don't want you leaving them in the tub all day like yesterday."

    "I know I know. I'll see you at the ceremony, and don't let Moltus keep you too long." said Don running his hand through hair that was more gray than brown now.

    Don smiled wistfully as Snaggle darted out the front door.


    Actions
    Daily readying of spells (15-minutes concentration).
    Collect and ready gear.
    Head to Area 10 (Vargidan's Estate).

    Current Status
    Snaggle Blanc (Male kobold sorcerer 1)
    LN small humanoid (reptilian)
    Str 8 Dex 16 Con 9 Int 12 Wis 10 Cha 16

    Key Skills Acrobatics +3, Climb -1, Craft (trap-making) +7, Disable Device +7, Escape Artist +3, Knowledge (Arcana) +5, Perception +2, Stealth +11, Swim -1

    Init +3 Spd 30 ft. Senses Darkvision 60 ft. (bright light); Perception +2
    AC 15, touch 14, FF 12 HP 8/8 Temp HP 0
    Fort -1 Ref +3 Will +2 CMB -2 CMD 11

    Melee Attack Spear +0 (1d6-1/20)

    Currently Wielding Nothing (hands free)
    Current Armor Nothing (Leather Apron, Goggles)
    Stowed on Person (Sheaths, straps, pockets, etc.) Spear, Thieves Tools, Caltrops, 22 gp
    Stowed in Packs (Backpacks, belt pouches, saddle bags, etc.) None
    Other (Stored in attic bedroom, House of Don Blanc) Backpack, Trail Rations x4 (backpack), Waterskin (backpack)
    Current Encumbrance 5.5 lbs (light load) Medium Load 19.5 lbs Heavy Load 39.75 lbs Max 60 lbs

    Active Abilities
    1st-Level Spells: 4/4 (Burning Hands, Mage Armor)
    Cantrips: ~/~ (Acid Splash, Detect Magic, Mage Hand, Read Magic)
    Spell-like Abilities: 6/6 Trap Rune

    Current Effects and Conditions: Flat-footed
    Last edited by Isklexi; Friday, 13th July, 2012 at 09:29 PM.

  • #6
    Registered User
    Novice (Lvl 1)

    BudroThePious's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Alamogordo, NM
    Posts
    297
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    I Defended The Walls!

    Ý Ignore BudroThePious
    Joseph awoke and rolled out of bed with the dawn, which was, he decided, a useful if still annoying habit. The better part of two years working the night watch after days or half days in his father's smithy had left him with much less of an appreciation for the dawn than most people in his small town, but such is life.

    As he gathered his gear and made sure his packs were secured, Jimes would be at the ceremony later, and while mostly harmless was incorrigible, he paused to run down the list of things he still needed to do.
    I don't have to go by the smithy this morning because father started making arrangements weeks ago to be sure he isn't short-handed. Besides, with the harvest almost done and the festival right here business should be slow anyway. Captain Wisslo still wants me to stop by the HQ before the ceremony so that's really the only place I need to go. I enjoy a simple morning.


    After a quick breakfast of porridge with a mug of beef broth and one of watered wine Joseph closed up the house and decided to make his way over to the town watch headquarters to check in with Captain Wisslo.
    I appreciate that he didn't make me stand watch last night, I believe there was supposed to be quite a crowd over at the Seven Silvers.


    Actions
    Collect and ready gear.
    Head to Area 5 (Town Watch Headquarters).

    Current Status
    Joseph Gault (Male human fighter 1)
    LN medium humanoid (human)
    Str 18
    Dex 13 Con 13 Int 12 Wis 12 Cha 10

    Key Skills Acrobatics -3, Bluff +0, Climb +4, Diplomacy +0, Escape Artist -3, Handle Animal +4, Heal +1, Intimidate +0,
    Knowledge (Any) +1, Knowledge (Dungeoneering) +5, Perception +1, Sense Motive +1, Stealth -3, Survival +5, Swim +4

    Init +1 Spd 20 ft. Senses Normal vision (bright light); Perception +1
    AC 16, touch 11, FF 15 HP 11/11 Temp HP 0
    Fort +3 Ref +1 Will +1 CMB +5 CMD 16

    Melee Attack greatsword +5 (2d6 + 6/19-20)
    Melee Attack morningstar +5 (1d8 + 6)
    Melee Attack dagger +5 (1d4 + 4/19-20)
    Ranged Attack dagger (10 ft.) +2 (1d4 + 4/19-20)
    Ranged Attack shortbow (60 ft.) +2 (1d6/x3)
    -Arrows: 20/20

    Currently Wielding Nothing (hands free)
    Current Armor Scale Mail
    Stowed on Person (Sheaths, straps, pockets, etc.) Greatsword, morningstar, dagger, dagger, shortbow, 20 arrows, Belt Pouch, Belt Pouch, Backpack
    Stowed in Packs (Backpacks, belt pouches, saddle bags, etc.) Bedroll (Backpack), Sacks (x4, Backpack), Waterskin (x2, Backpack), Flask (Backpack), Flask of Oil (Backpack), Hemp Rope (100 ft., Backpack), Grappling Hook (Backpack), Torch (Backpack), Small Steel Mirror (Backpack), Soap (1 lb., Backpack), Flint and Steel (Belt Pouch), Whetstone (Belt Pouch), 11 gp, 3 sp, 2 cp (Belt Pouch)
    Current Encumbrance 107 lbs (medium load) Medium Load 100.01 lbs Heavy Load 200.01 lbs Max 300 lbs

    Active Abilities
    Combat Options:
    Charge (full round action), Power Attack (standard action), Cleave (standard action), Quick Draw (free action)
    Combat Maneuvers: Bull Rush, Dirty Trick, Disarm, Drag, Grapple, Overrun, Reposition, Steal, Sunder, Trip

    Current Effects and Conditions: Flat-footed
    , medium encumbrance

  • #7
    Registered User
    Novice (Lvl 1)

    Etharia's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    89
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    Ý Ignore Etharia
    Lissa rose well before dawn and prepared breakfast for herself and Nyra. As dawn broke, she had just finished preparing her spells. She then groomed and saddled Nyra, making sure to balance the weight of the gear in the saddlebags. After double checking everything she heads off to find her mentor with Nyra following on her heels.
    Actions
    Prepare spells (1-hour).
    Gather gear.
    Head towards Kassen, searching for Olmira Treesong.

    Current Status, Lissa
    Lissa (Female halfling druid 1)
    CG small humanoid (halfling)
    Str 8
    Dex 16 Con 11 Int 12 Wis 16 Cha 14

    Key Skills Acrobatics +0, Bluff +2, Climb -4, Diplomacy +2, Escape Artist +0,
    Handle Animal +6, Heal +7, Knowledge (Any) +1, Knowledge (Nature) +7, Perception +9, Ride +4, Sense Motive +3, Stealth +4, Survival +9, Swim -4, Wild Empathy +3
    Miscellaneous: +4 to Handle Animal and Wild Empathy with animal companion

    Init +3 Spd 15 ft. Senses Normal vision (bright light); Perception +9
    AC 18, touch 14, FF 15 HP 8/8 Temp HP 0
    Fort +3 Ref +4 Will +6 CMB -2 CMD 11

    Ranged Attack halfling slingstaff (80 ft.) +4 (1d6-1/x3)
    -Sling bullets: 10/10
    Melee Attack halfling slingstaff (club) +0 (1d4-1/x2)

    Currently Wielding Nothing (hands free)
    Current Armor Hide Armor
    Stowed on Person (Sheaths, straps, pockets, etc.) Halfling slingstaff, 10 sling bullets, sprig of holly (DF), mineral prism (F), 8 sp
    Stowed in Packs (Backpacks, belt pouches, saddle bags, etc.) Exotic riding saddle (Nyra), Saddlebags (Nyra), Bedroll (Nyra)
    Current Encumbrance 18.5 lbs (light load) Medium Load 19.51 lbs Heavy Load 39.76 lbs Max 60 lbs

    Active Abilities
    1st-Level Spells:
    1/1 (Cure Light Wounds/Summon Nature's Ally I), 1/1 (Magic Stone/Summon Nature's Ally I)
    Cantrips: ~/~
    (Guidance, Stabilize, Virtue)

    Current Effects and Conditions: Flat-footed
    , mounted
    Current Status, Nyra
    Nyra (Female lion companion 1)
    N medium animal (big cat, lion)
    Str 13
    Dex 17 Con 13 Int 2 Wis 15 Cha 10

    Key Skills Acrobatics +4, Climb -2, Escape Artist +0,
    Intimidate +0, Perception +2 (+8 with scent), Stealth +0, Survival +2, Swim +2

    Init +3 Spd 30 ft. Senses
    Low-light vision (bright light), Scent; Perception +2 (+8 with scent)
    AC 14, touch 13, FF 11 HP 11/11 Temp HP 0
    Fort +4 Ref +6 Will +2 CMB +2 (+2 finesse maneuvers) CMD 15 (19 versus trip)

    Melee attack bite +4 (1d6 + 1)
    Full Attack bite +4 (1d6 + 1), claw +4 (1d4 + 1), claw +4 (1d4 + 1)
    Grapple +2 versus CMD (provokes)

    Rake 2 claw attacks (free action) against creatures grappled since the start of turn

    Current Rider Lidda
    Current Armor None
    Stowed on Person (Sheaths, straps, pockets, etc.) Exotic riding saddle, saddlebags, small bedroll
    Stowed in Packs (Backpacks, belt pouches, saddle bags, etc.) None
    Current Encumbrance 85.75 lbs (medium load) Medium Load 75.01 lbs Heavy Load 150.01 lbs Max 225 lbs

    Active Abilities
    Handle Companion
    Free action (DC 10, 12 if injured) Push Companion Move action (DC 25, 27 if injured)
    Available Tricks Attack, Come, Defend, Down, Guard, Heel Current Trick Heel Current Mount Action Ride
    Available Mount Actions Ride (free action, DC 0), Mount/Dismount (move action, DC 0), Fast Mount/Dismount (free action, DC 20), Guide with Knees (free action, DC 5), Stay in Saddle (no action, DC 5), Take Cover Behind Mount (immediate action, DC 15), Have Mount Attack (free action, DC 10), Soft Fall (no action, DC 15), Leap Obstacle (no action, DC 15), Spur Mount (no action, DC 15)

    Current Effects and Conditions: Flat-footed, mounted, medium encumbrance
    Last edited by Etharia; Monday, 16th July, 2012 at 10:42 PM.

  • #8
    Registered User
    Defender (Lvl 8)

    Redbadge's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Destin, FL
    Posts
    608
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    ZEITGEIST

    Ý Ignore Redbadge
    4 Neth 4709 (7:38:18)
    Town of Kassen, Nirmathas

    The morning sun is just over the horizon, and like you, Kassen is already largely awake. Bits of life are percolating throughout the town as shops open, men head out to work on the river, in the woods, or in the field, and women open up the house to let in the light of dawn. Although the chilly air has a bit of a bite to it, most people are in a very warm mood. Much of the activity is centered on the forthcoming ceremony, and like any hardworking, isolated community, any deviation from the routine or mundane is welcome indeed.

    Gamble
    As you step out the front door of the Seven Silvers Inn, you are immediately greeted by Cygar Anravis, who appears to be headed in. "Morning," he grunts as he brushes past you into the inn. Marshon Waters, the local general store owner, appears much friendlier, as he waves while opening his store across from you, on the north side of the street. Turning east, and walking across the wide town square, you spot a couple more townmembers up and about, including the blacksmith's son, the brawny, but oh-so-solemn Joseph Gault, who you note will be one of your compatriots for the next few days. He glances at you before heading over to the Town Watch Headquarters, where he greets the slow-witted Golfond Kir. Making your way quickly through the streets of Kassen, you soon arrive at the tall, but crooked tower at the edge of town, the home of Holgast the Sage. The tower, made of brick and timber, leans slightly to the south.

    Your mentor Jocyn, half-elf bard, appears to just be getting ready to leave, since he and Holgast stand in the doorway of the tower's entrance, finishing up a chat.

    "Hmmm, yes, very true, Jocyn, I will have to keep that in mind," the sage is saying as he nods at his guest. Holgast has the large yellow and orange door of his tower propped open with one hand, kind of leaning on it, while his other hand grips a long, smoking pipe. With his back towards your approach, Jocyn doesn't really see you, but Holgast does spot you, and takes his pipe out of his mouth long enough to point Jocyn's attention towards you with the tip. "Speak of the devil."

    Jocyn smiles weakly, shaking his head. "Hush now, Holgast." Turning towards his gnome student (and good friend), Jocyn quickly greets you, "Good morning, Gamble. And how is your head treating you this morning?" As your friend and mentor listens to your response, grimaces at your questionable decisions, and grins at your apparent good fortune, Holgast moves to slip inside.

    "Thank-you for stopping by, Jocyn. I'll let you talk with your pupil. I would invite you both in, but, well, you know..."

    Jocyn moves to usher the eccentric wizard back into his eccentric home, "Go, go, go, we honestly have no more need of you at the moment." Jocyn shakes his head again, before turning back to you grinning, "Well, I guess I should talk with you now..."

    Jocyn Elmaran leads you through the streets of Kassen, limping along with no particular destination in mind, as he gives you advice and instructions on your upcoming quest. "I have every amount of faith in you and your abilities, Gamble. You've always had a bit of flair, certainly since I've known you, but now I'm proud to say that you are both versatile and talented in the ways I hope all my students can be.

    "Honestly, I'm sure this quest will prove no challenge to you and the others. What I'd like to see is for you to move on to bigger and better things once this little adventure is over. I've settled down here... well, let's just say that my leg won't allow me to travel like I use to..." He motions at his crippled leg, but pauses for a bit as if thinking about some long lost thought before continuing. "Anyways, let's just say that a performer, entertainer, and adventurer like yourself doesn't need to be couped up in a little town like this. Besides, there is not a lot that a gnome bard can offer to a lumberjack town, especially since our local inn already has an epic performer to provide its entertainment needs." He smiles widely at this last bit.

    "Let's see. Before I let you off, there was a couple more things they wanted me to tell you. Ah yes, travel lightly." He looks at your spindly frame, as if there was any doubt about that. "...Just take along your harmonica, arms, and armor. Oh, and your spell component pouch, of course. Not that you could carry much more anyways. Now, you'll want to meet with Mayor Uptal as soon as possible. He said he would be over at the general store for most of the day. Unless there are any questions you have for me?" Jocyn looks at you expectantly.


    Snaggle
    You make your way briskly from your home towards the large house that serves as the Vargidan estate, working your way the long way around, through sidestreets and backalleys. Normally, you move quickly and quietly about town, since the townsfolk haven't been particularly neighborly towards the kobold in their midst, even a young, adopted, magically inclined one. However, the kindness and hospitality towards you has really picked up since it was announced that you'd be one of the young adventurers sent to the crypt. This morning in particular it seems the few villagers who do catch sight of you are generally happy to see you, and wave and call out greetings enthusiastically. You're not sure how you were picked for this important ceremony in the first place, but you feel like Don and Mortus probably had a heavy hand in it, hoping to see you more successfully integrated into the town.

    Despite your route, it only takes a couple minutes to reach the Vargidan estate. You can understand why it has such a spooky reputation amongst the rest of the town. The large red and black building is heavy, dark, and ornate. Gargoyles stare down from each corner of the roof, and a thick purple cloud billows out of the building's large chimney. The knockers on the double front door are large busts (i.e. head and torso sculptures) of succubi, with each actual knocker ring piercing either side of the heavy bronze breasts of the succubi. A number of unavoidable puns cascade through your mind, in no small part because everyone in town has heard them a million times from the town's bawdiest lumberjacks. Although the mayor has tried to talk Mortus into replacing them, the eccentric sorcerer will hear none of it, claiming they are an important relic from his adventuring days, when he supposedly liberated them from the front door of genii caliph's palace. You reach up, perhaps reluctantly, and give one of the bronze rings several sharp raps against the belly of one of the succubi.

    After a minute or so, you hear a commotion on the other side of the door. The door opens to reveal Mortus, his long, white hair and beard tucked inside a white nightshirt as if he's just pulled it on, and he is frowning and cursing furiously, "Where are those damn servants? Lazy, good-for-nothing layabouts. Why do I even pay them? The damn children do more work than them." Seeing you does not put a smile on his face. "Yeah, what do you want at this godforsaken unreasonable hour?" Your explanation does not seem to appease him. "Eh, wot. What day do you say it is now? I think not... What, you're certain?... I said that now did, I?" He pauses for a moment, reluctantly, before motioning you inside. "Very well, but make it quick. My starpans are due for the weaving of the perfumes shortly." Even after he's said it, Mortus seems as bewildered by that last bit as you are.

    You've been inside the Vargidan home many times before, and it is no less impressive now. The floors are carpeted, the furniture is heavy and old, and nearly every square inch of the walls are covered in art, much of it erotic in nature. As you take a seat on a puffy leather couch, which might well be
    made out of authentic dragonhide, Moltus calls for his servants, "Paul, Torban, get your lazy asses outta bed! I need my tea!" In the midst of his shouting, he politely turns to you, "Would you like a cup, too? It is a very good, but very rare, Minkai blend." Without awaiting your response, he turns back and shouts through the walls and ceiling, "Make that two cups of tea!"

    After finishing his shout, Mortus takes a seat in a large purple and gold easy chair, propping his slippered feat up on a nearby table that appears to be some sort of antique game table. You notice that he is finally smiling, staring at you with a sort of whimsical enthusiasm quite different from his demeanor just a moment ago. While you two sit in silence, you hear several large crashes coming from the direction of the kitchen, but Mortus either does not hear them or does not seem to care. After a good while, you hear the tell-tale sign of a teakettle whistle, and not long after that, a small, dark haired child walks into the room, a tray with tea and saucers floating in mid-air behind her. As she politely holds the swinging kitchen door open for the tray, Moltus glances at her, and his whimsical smile turns into a glare.

    "Why child," He says through gritted teeth, "Where are Paul and Torban?"

    The girl, who you place at no older than six, replies in a sweet, sing-song voice, "Oh. Jeorge knocked them out again, Papa. They're still sleepy, so I made you tea." She motions towards the floating tea tray, but as she does, it tips to the side a little before she quickly corrects and readjusts it through sheer concentration.

    Moltus's exasperation quickly turns to devotion and nurturing. He takes the tray from the air and sets it on the game table, saying "Thank-you very much, Maudy. Now why don't you run along and wake the rest of your brothers and sisters. I've found out that today is a big day."

    "Yes, papa," says Maudy before running off, leaving you and the Vargidan patriarch to enjoy your tea.

    Just as you're starting to sip your (suprisingly well-brewed) tea, another door opens, a heavy wooden one at the opposite side of the room, leading from deeper into the house. A nubile young woman with toussled black hair and smooth, deeply tanned skin, wearing nothing but bedsheets wrapped around her and clutched against her chest, leans through the crack in the door.
    "Who is there Molt? You said you'd be right back to bed," the woman says shyly, almost innocently. Although her ethnicity is difficult to pinpoint (DC 10 Knowledge (Geography)), you still recognize her as Maria, previously one of the maidservants of the Vargidan estate... and now, the old man's 18-year-old wife, his twelfth.

    "No, no," Moltus consoles her, "I forgot what day it was. Go put some clothes on, and make sure the children are all ready. I'll be taking them to the town square later this morning."

    The woman turns back into the house, leaving you alone with Moltus once more. Already though, he seems to be getting worked up again about something, because he resumes his ranting from before, "Screw all their damn superstitious mumbo-jumbo! ...damn thirteen hocus-pocus..." He declares, before mumbling the last bit about the number thirteen. He continues, "You know what I say! I say the thirteenth time is the charm, is what it is." He calms a bit, nodding to himself. You probably wouldn't dream of correcting him at this point, however, lest you get him truly riled up. He stops thoughtfully, and continues to sip from his tea.

    Just when it seems you might finally get to really talk with your mentor, it appears that he's forgotten all about you. You both sit quietly for who knows how long, you staring at him, and he staring into space, before you finally work up the courage to prompt him.
    At the sound of your voice, he jumps. "Oh, hello, Snaggle," he says truly surprised to see you. "I'm glad you stopped by. There is something I was supposed to tell you... Ah yes, when you head to the town square later today, all they want you to bring is your most vital gear." He quickly spots that you only have your spear and thieves' tools. "Good, good, I see that you are already prepared. Wait, there was something else I was supposed to tell you..." His brow furrows, but his eyes have become very tired-looking, and his voice sounds fatigued, where there was none before. "Yes, well, it must not have been very important. Was there anything you wanted to ask me before you leave?" He looks towards you with a kind, fatherly face, but you can see in his eyes that the great mind of Moltus Vargidan is very distant.


    Joseph
    As you quietly lock up the door at the back of the house, you see a light blink into existence in the rear window of the shop portion of the building. It seems your father is already up as well, and is beginning to prepare for the coming day. You slip around the house into the main courtyard, where you can easily see the Town Watch Headquarters, caddy corner across the town square from you. This morning, it seems the watch has fallen to Guardsman Golfond Kir, who stands just in front of the HQ door, with a two-handed axe in his hand and a lit lantern at his feet. Though there is not much likelihood of foul play in Kassen, the building does contain the armory, and villagers like to have access to the town guard whenever needed and as quickly as possible, so a 24-hour watch is appreciated.

    There are a couple of other town-members moving about the square this morning, particularly Cygar Anravis, who you've had your eye on for some time. As he stalks across the square towards the Seven Silvers, you can't help but wonder, if he is only just now heading for the warmth and comfort of the inn, what was he doing about town at this hour? Both you and Guardsman Kir watch Cygar head up to the door of the inn, before he brusquely brushes past the small blue creature that is exiting the building at the same time. You recognize the creature as Gamble, a bright blue gnome with brighter blue hair, and who, for better-or-worse, will be accompanying you when you leave town later today. He sees you staring, but soon heads off on his own unknown errands.

    You stroll across the courtyard towards Golfond, who has spotted you as well, and he greets you first. "Good mornin', and well met, friend Joseph," he says in his slow, but purposeful speech. After you return his greeting, you quickly fall into idle chit chat and small conversation, which, though mostly simple due to Golfond's limitations, is perhaps not entirely unwelcome. Before long, however, the conversation turns towards your mentor, captain of the guards Gregor Wisslo.

    "Cap'n Wisslo is inside and should be out 'fore too much longer. He's expectin' you," Golfond is saying, when the door to the watch building opens up, and Captain Wisslo steps out. He's only wearing simple boiled leather, and the only weapon he has is the dagger sheathed on his belt.

    "Greetings, men." Wisslo says in a deep voice, his warm breath turning to fog in the chilly morning air. Nodding at your replies, he soon turns to Golfond.

    "Guardsman Kir.
    "

    "Yes, sir?"

    "You're officially relieved of watch for the night. I'm taking watch now."

    "Yessir, Captain Wisslo." Without further question and without looking back, Golfond takes his axe and lantern, and strides off, probably heading to his mother. The morning still leaves plenty of light for you and Captain Wisslo to talk by.

    Wisslo asks you a few courtesy questions before digging into the heart of the matter.
    "You're a good soldier, Gault, and honest to a fault. And I don't mean a good town guard or a good militia member, either. I mean a true soldier, a fighter, strong, hard-working, smart, and skilled. It's hard to ask for much more." He turns to look where Golfond, just barely visible amongst the streets and buildings in the distance, has accidentally stumbled and dropped his axe. However, the captain seems to ignore it, just looking off in the distance in general and nodding to himself. "...Yes, a damn fine soldier."

    "Anyways, the mayor asked me to talk with you. I'm not going to talk about any of that other bull; I know you'll do your town proud easy enough. What I want to say is more important.

    "Now I know that your father wants you to continue working with him in his shop, but I'm here to tell you that Kassen needs more of you than that... Well, let's just say that I ain't getting any younger. And I am damn sure not going to let that foreign bastard take over here. What I'm trying to say, son, is that I want to groom you for command of the watch.
    " Wisslo looks at you carefully, trying to judge your initial reaction, before continuing, "Now, don't think about this too much right now. Just... be keeping it in mind. We'll talk more about that after you return from your, uh, little holiday in the woods."

    The captain sighs, and briefly smiles at you, as if he's glad to have gotten that off of his chest. "There are a few other things they wanted me to mention to you. You're to supply only your weapons and armor," he raises an eyebrow as he eyes your pack full of gear. "Anything else you need -- rope, torches, rations, and so on -- will be provided before you leave. Also, when you get a chance, head on over there to the store, where I believe Mayor Uptal will be meeting with you this morning."

    Wisslo takes one last moment to look you over carefully. "Well, son. What do you have to say for yourself?"


    Lissa
    Not two seconds after you leave your small cottage, you leap into the saddle, and Nyra shoots off towards Kassen, sprinting at full speed. Her lithe but powerful body easily avoids the obstacles she must dodge, and rips through the small bushes and such that she doesn’t. Unfortunately, the wind is just beginning to whip across your face when you spot your mentor, Olmira Treesong, gathering autumn flowers quite a distance from the town walls. You circle back around so you can talk to her from atop of Nyra.

    Although you greet the druid as you ride up, she just ignores you, instead choosing to walk up to your lion and offer chunks of meat she pulls out of one pocket. Nyra greatly appreciates the gift. Only after Olmira has scratched the head, ears, and chin of the white lion, and hugged its soft neck, chortling as she does so, does she choose to acknowledge your presence.


    Hello, little mouse. And how are you today?” Oblivious to your response, she pauses as if she has just thought of something amusing. “You know, I find something unusual about you two. The lion follows the mouse, instead of simply chasing and eating it.” She laughs out loud, apparently thinking she’s just come up with a very funny joke. “Someone should write a fable about it.

    Olmira stops talking for a moment as she spots a fox hidden under a nearby bush. She pulls more food out of a different pocket, and crouches down to the gesture towards the fox. It doesn’t take much coaxing for the fox to dart over and start eating out of the other druid’s hands, despite the presence of your lion. You still have to struggle to control Nyra, however, as the appearance of more food has excited her, and you can’t tell if this means the handful of treats… or the fox.

    After the fox finishes eating and dashes back into the trees, Olimira turns to you and asks, “Will you walk with me for a little while, little mouse?” She turns away from the town and walks back into the forest, giving you little choice but to follow her or abandon her.

    As you and Nyra move to catch up, you can hear that she has already resumed talking. “I was just talking with the wind the other day, and do you know what he told me? He said you are ready. I have nothing left to teach you…” Suddenly she sounds very sad. “You have learned a lot, and now you are friends with the flowers, and with the animals of the forest, and with the trees, the rocks, the stream, the very wind itself.” Her melancholy quickly gives way to joy and enthusiasm as she looks back to you. “And they are all friends with you.

    You continue walking through the woods for several more minutes, with Olmira occasionally stopping to greet and converse with the flowers, or with some small woodland creature. As she rambles on, it is not always easy for you to tell if she is talking with you… or the wind. She is just in the middle of saying something about the coming winter, and the state of the many creatures that have a long hibernation ahead of them, when she stops and quickly turns to you. “What are you still doing here, little mouse? Those… others… are waiting on you.” She motions back towards Kassen, her eyes brimming with tears. Before you can respond, she runs up and hugs you both, not only encompassing the lion, but you as well this time. Despite the strength of the juvenile lion, Nyra struggles to escape Olmira’s embrace. You suspect that the same would be true even if she was a fully grown lioness. The hug stops as quickly as it began, with Olmira looking at you once more. “Little mouse, unless you have any more of your little, mousy questions for me, then I ask for you to fly. Fly, now.


    Last edited by Redbadge; Monday, 16th July, 2012 at 09:50 PM.

  • #9
    Registered User
    Novice (Lvl 1)

    BudroThePious's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Alamogordo, NM
    Posts
    297
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    I Defended The Walls!

    Ý Ignore BudroThePious
    "I'll be sure to think on it sir. What can you tell me about the history of this ceremony?"

  • #10
    Registered User
    Defender (Lvl 8)

    Redbadge's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Destin, FL
    Posts
    608
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    ZEITGEIST

    Ý Ignore Redbadge
    "I'll be sure to think on it sir. What can you tell me about the history of this ceremony?"
    "You don't know?" He seems surprised. He is well versed in both the history of the town, and its founder. Wisslo himself went through the ceremony when he was about your age, and has helped with the lantern many times since then. He is very traditionalist, however, and is not pleased with the more and more rituals piled on every year. At any rate, he recounts the entire tale:

    History of Kassen
    Almost 200 years ago, when the land that was to become Nirmathas was still a vassal of the empire of Cheliax, the northern reaches of the Fangwood were a wild and untamed place. The crusades that laid low the Whispering Tyrant to the north were a distant memory, and those who remained were intent upon keeping the orcs of Belkzen and the remaining undead from Ustalav in check. As a result, the great forest was full of danger, from marauding orcs to deadly predators, making it unsafe for merchants hoping to trade with the growing community of Skelt in the foothills of the Mindspin Mountains to the west.

    Ekat Kassen was a crusader and fortune seeker who came to serve Lastwall in the year 4515 AR. While he fought with distinction, he soon realized that he wanted more from life and left the Lastwall military to find his fortune elsewhere. His travels took him all over the region around Lake Encarthan, and he decided to settle down in 4522 after a very profitable adventure. Using a sizable portion of his fortune, he set out to tame a small area of the Fangwood on the banks of the Tourondel River, making it a natural stopover for those traveling up and down the river to Skelt. For the next 10 years, the town, which was then known as Kassen’s Hold, grew and prospered.

    All that changed when Asar Vergas came to Kassen’s Hold with a host of mercenaries under his command. Asar was an old companion of Ekat, and the two had traveled together for some time before splitting up just after Ekat’s last adventure. Over the years, Asar became sure that Ekat had cheated him after that adventure. Promising great wealth to his mercenaries, Asar raided the town relentlessly for 2 months. Finally, the townsfolk managed to locate Asar’s camp in an ancient crypt deep in the forest, and Ekat himself went out to deal with his old companion. The battle was terribly bloody, with only a few townsfolk coming back to tell the tale. In the end, Asar was slain and his mercenaries scattered, but Ekat suffered a mortal wound. He died 2 days later, on the 11th day of Neth, 4535. In honor of their beloved founder, the townsfolk buried Kassen in the ancient crypt, interring his bones in a place of honor, above the simple sarcophagi used to inter Asar, his mercenaries, and the townsfolk that lost their lives in the bitter struggle. They placed an eternal flame above Kassen’s final resting place, so that all who visited might find warmth in the wilderness.

  • + Log in or register to post
    Page 1 of 58 123456789101151 ... LastLast

    Similar Threads

    1. Crypt of the Everflame Yes Hollows Last Hope No
      By ren1999 in forum Older D&D Editions and OSR Gaming
      Replies: 5
      Last Post: Saturday, 24th March, 2012, 05:37 PM
    2. [LPF] Crypt of the Everflame (01)
      By Mowgli in forum Playing the Game
      Replies: 1054
      Last Post: Monday, 6th February, 2012, 11:49 PM
    3. Broad Arrow Jack presents Crypt of the Everflame [IC Thread]
      By Broad Arrow Jack in forum Playing the Game
      Replies: 108
      Last Post: Saturday, 9th January, 2010, 06:26 PM
    4. New DM seeks interest in PFRPG PBP - Crypt of the Everflame
      By Broad Arrow Jack in forum Talking the Talk
      Replies: 194
      Last Post: Wednesday, 9th December, 2009, 02:53 PM
    5. Broad Arrow Jack presents Crypt of the Everflame [Rogues Gallery]
      By Broad Arrow Jack in forum General RPG Discussion
      Replies: 7
      Last Post: Thursday, 19th November, 2009, 07:22 PM

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •