D&D 4E D&D 4e: Jedi Knight

two_fishes

Explorer
Okay, I am sure I'm not the first person to do this, and I'm sure I won't be the last. But I wanna make a Jedi Knight for 4e, and Hybrid seems like the way to go. Here is my stab at it, at Heroic Tier. I would love suggestions to improve the build, both mechanically and also thematically as well as Item suggestions.

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Keyleth, level 10
Elf, Rogue|Psion
Discipline Focus (Hybrid): Telekinesis Focus (Hybrid)
Psionic Augmentation (Hybrid): Hybrid Power Point Option
Versatile Expertise: Versatile Expertise (Light Blade)
Versatile Expertise: Versatile Expertise (Staff)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 8, Con 10, Dex 19, Int 18, Wis 14, Cha 14.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 8, Con 10, Dex 15, Int 14, Wis 14, Cha 14.

AC: 19 Fort: 15 Reflex: 20 Will: 18
HP: 58 Surges: 6 Surge Value: 14

TRAINED SKILLS
Insight +12, Perception +14, Diplomacy +12, History +14, Acrobatics +14

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +9, Bluff +7, Dungeoneering +7, Endurance +5, Heal +7, Intimidate +7, Nature +9, Religion +9, Stealth +9, Streetwise +7, Thievery +9, Athletics +4

FEATS
Level 1: Weapon Proficiency (Rapier)
Level 2: Backstabber
Level 4: Surprising Charge
Level 6: Versatile Expertise
Level 8: Weapon Focus (Light Blade)
Level 10: Psionic Initiative

POWERS
Hybrid at-will 1: Force Punch
Hybrid at-will 1: Acrobatic Strike
Hybrid daily 1: Spinning Blade Leap
Hybrid utility 2: Agile Recovery
Hybrid at-will 3: Force Hammer (replaces Force Punch)
Hybrid encounter 3: Low Slash
Hybrid daily 5: Telekinetic Maul
Hybrid utility 6: Ignoble Escape
Hybrid at-will/encounter 7: Kinetic Buffer
Hybrid daily 9: Profit from Weakness
Hybrid utility 10: Prescient Defense

ITEMS
Adventurer's Kit, Dagger, Vengeful Rapier +2, Staff of Forceful Rebuking +2, Magic Cloth Armor (Basic Clothing) +3

Wednesday Boy

The Nerd WhoFell to Earth
If I were making a Jedi Knight, I'd use the Bladesinger Wizard from the Neverwinter Campaign Guide and reflavor some of the abilities as needed.
I'd ditch the requirement to have a spellbook but keep the game mechanics of it to avoid having to make many house rules.

For the cantrips I'd take Mage Hand (telekinesis), Ghost Sound (Obi-Won scarring off the tusken raiders), and Suggestion ("These aren't the droids you're looking for."). Magic Missile could be a TK slam, Unseen Hand could be a TK push, Shadow Sever could be a TK trip, and Lightning Ring so you can utter, "So be it Jedi."

FreeXenon

American Male (he/him); INTP ADHD Introverted Geek
or Swordmage or Hexblade. Hexblade may actually fit some the lightsaber flavor a little better. You conjure the blade using your rod implement. I always envisioned the Hexblade wielding the rod two-handed like a lightsaber.

Wednesday Boy

The Nerd WhoFell to Earth
You conjure the blade using your rod implement. I always envisioned the Hexblade wielding the rod two-handed like a lightsaber.

I've thought the same thing. Reskinning the Hexblade gets a little sticky when you get the planar ally utility powers but you could switch them out with a houserule easily enough.

two_fishes

Explorer
Well I've refined the build a bit. It's pasted below.

I like the Rogue/Psionicist Build a fair bit. I'm not saying it's the best, or anything, just that it's the one I like most so far.

First of all, I just like Hybrids. They're fun. It's a completely arbitrary reason, but there it is.

It seems that in fights Jedi are mainly unarmored, highly mobile light blade skirmishers with some psionic controller powers thrown in. They move around the battlefield a lot, toss people around with the Force, and cut off heads. This fits the Rogue and the Psionicist both.

Psionics suit the Jedi more than Arcane, so the Psion powers fit the Jedi without reskinning. Also, most of the psionicist powers I've chosen use the Force keyword. I know that it's punning on the meaning of the word, but it still amuses me.

The psionicist doesn't strictly need his implements. The Jedi could be doing Force stuff by waving his hand around. Even so, carrying around a staff still fits and waving that around still fits.

Really apropos powers:
Psionicist Telekinis. Like Mage hand, lets the Jedi move small stuff around.
Force Punch. I mean come on! (Later replaced with Kinetic Buffer. Force Hammer, despite its name, doesn't really do the same thing.)
Spinning Blade Leap.

It is missing a good mind:):):):) power ("These are not the 'droids you are looking for.") Befriend is okay, but not great.

Telekinetic Lift would be a great fit for 2nd Level Utility, but I thought that having a way to create Combat Advantage would be a better mechanical advantage. But hm, maybe if I take Blind Spot Advantage at Level 6, then I can have Telekinetic Lift.

[FONT=verdana, helvetica, sans-serif]====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, helvetica, sans-serif]Keyleth, level 10[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, helvetica, sans-serif]Elf, Rogue|Psion[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, helvetica, sans-serif]Discipline Focus (Hybrid): Telekinesis Focus (Hybrid)[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, helvetica, sans-serif]Psionic Augmentation (Hybrid): Hybrid Power Point Option[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, helvetica, sans-serif]Versatile Expertise: Versatile Expertise (Light Blade)[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, helvetica, sans-serif]Versatile Expertise: Versatile Expertise (Staff)[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, helvetica, sans-serif]Background: Birth - Blessed, Geography - Forest, Elf - Fey Ally, Society - Noble (+2 to Insight)[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, helvetica, sans-serif]FINAL ABILITY SCORES[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, helvetica, sans-serif]Str 8, Con 11, Dex 19, Int 19, Wis 14, Cha 12.[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, helvetica, sans-serif]STARTING ABILITY SCORES[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, helvetica, sans-serif]Str 8, Con 11, Dex 15, Int 15, Wis 14, Cha 12.[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, helvetica, sans-serif]AC: 21 Fort: 15 Reflex: 20 Will: 18[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, helvetica, sans-serif]HP: 59 Surges: 6 Surge Value: 14[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, helvetica, sans-serif]TRAINED SKILLS[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, helvetica, sans-serif]Insight +14, Perception +14, Diplomacy +11, Bluff +11, Acrobatics +14[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, helvetica, sans-serif]UNTRAINED SKILLS[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, helvetica, sans-serif]Arcana +9, Dungeoneering +7, Endurance +5, Heal +7, History +9, Intimidate +6, Nature +9, Religion +9, Stealth +9, Streetwise +6, Thievery +9, Athletics +4[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, helvetica, sans-serif]FEATS[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, helvetica, sans-serif]Level 1: Weapon Proficiency (Rapier)[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, helvetica, sans-serif]Level 2: Backstabber[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, helvetica, sans-serif]Level 4: Unarmored Agility[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, helvetica, sans-serif]Level 6: Versatile Expertise[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, helvetica, sans-serif]Level 8: Nimble Blade[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, helvetica, sans-serif]Level 10: Psionic Initiative[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, helvetica, sans-serif]POWERS[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, helvetica, sans-serif]Hybrid at-will 1: Force Punch[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, helvetica, sans-serif]Hybrid at-will 1: Acrobatic Strike[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, helvetica, sans-serif]Hybrid daily 1: Spinning Blade Leap[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, helvetica, sans-serif]Hybrid utility 2: Anticipate Maneuver[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, helvetica, sans-serif]Hybrid at-will 3: Force Hammer (replaces Force Punch)[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, helvetica, sans-serif]Hybrid encounter 3: Low Slash[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, helvetica, sans-serif]Hybrid daily 5: Telekinetic Maul[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, helvetica, sans-serif]Hybrid utility 6: Ignoble Escape[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, helvetica, sans-serif]Hybrid at-will/encounter 7: Kinetic Buffer[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, helvetica, sans-serif]Hybrid daily 9: Profit from Weakness[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, helvetica, sans-serif]Hybrid utility 10: Befriend[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, helvetica, sans-serif]ITEMS[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, helvetica, sans-serif]Adventurer's Kit, Dagger, Vengeful Rapier +2, Staff of Forceful Rebuking +2, Magic Cloth Armor (Basic Clothing) +3[/FONT]

Nichwee

First Post
You might want to multiclass.
Reasons:
Into Swordmage:
Gain Light Blade as an implement - so no need to wave a stick about, just swing your "lightsaber" and wave your hand about.
Option of getting some cool power swap options for a "magic sword" and the AC bonus of the sword grip = block shots trick.
Or gain some defending, for the Jedi "army of peace" vibe.

Into Monk:
Make an implement out of your proficient weapon = your lightsaber.
Get funky movement options for the "force leaps" that Jedi do so often to look cool.

Into Battlemind:
Take the feat for 'shift on initiative rolls', for the "precognative" capability of the Force.
Defenderness for same reason as Swordmage.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases