Working in the Game Mine

pemerton

Legend
I thought you were arguing that an ogre, for example, had to have ogre levels in order to be meaningful. Maybe I'm misunderstanding. Do you mean that racial adjustments (similar to those used for PCs) would be sufficient? I can get on board with that.
But what would these be, for an ogre? Looking through the 4e MM ogre entries, they don't have any special senses, skill bonuses etc. Their racial character seems to be exhausted by being brutish thugs with 4 INT.

On the other hand, with the more interesting tribal humanoids like gnolls, goblins etc their racial character is already reflected in their statblocks (special abilities, skill bonuses, enhanced senses etc). Plus there is the appendix which calls all these things out.

But what would these be, for an ogre? Looking through the 4e MM ogre entries, they don't have any special senses, skill bonuses etc. Their racial character seems to be exhausted by being brutish thugs with 4 INT.
Sure, but I could buy the argument that they should have something distinctive, even if they didn't in 4E.

On the other hand, with the more interesting tribal humanoids like gnolls, goblins etc their racial character is already reflected in their statblocks (special abilities, skill bonuses, enhanced senses etc). Plus there is the appendix which calls all these things out.

Ogres, historically (in DnD lore), have basically been a poor man's hill giant (they are giant-kin to whatever degree that is relevant). If they're throwing rocks, swinging clubs, of large size, of small intellect and more inclined to eat you than to chat you up then you're doing it right. They're savages and arrange themselves in a tribal hierarchy with a champion as their chief and a shaman as his advisor (when they are not subservient to a greater Giant tribe). They are basically an orc married to a hill giant in culture and in mechanical framework, I suppose. I know you know all of this but I just figured it would serve to flesh it out when scribing the following powers:

S2.gif
Greatclub (weapon)
x.gif
At-Will
Attack: Melee 2 (one creature); +11 vs. AC
Hit: 2d10 + 6 damage.

Z3a.gif
Rock (weapon)
x.gif
At-Will
Attack: Ranged 10 (one creature); +11 vs. AC
Hit: 2d6 + 5 damage.

Z2a.gif
Grand Slam (weapon)
x.gif
Encounter
Attack: Melee 2 (one creature); +11 vs. AC
Hit: 4d10 + 4 damage, and the ogre pushes the target up to 2 squares and knocks it prone.
Miss: Half damage, and the target falls prone.

At large size with high Strength and Constitution and Low Intelligence...I'd say 4e nailed it. Not especially interesting, as you put it, but the giant lumbering brute shtick only has so many legs.

pemerton

Legend
Ogres, historically (in DnD lore), have basically been a poor man's hill giant (they are giant-kin to whatever degree that is relevant). If they're throwing rocks, swinging clubs, of large size, of small intellect and more inclined to eat you than to chat you up then you're doing it right. They're savages and arrange themselves in a tribal hierarchy with a champion as their chief and a shaman as his advisor (when they are not subservient to a greater Giant tribe). They are basically an orc married to a hill giant in culture and in mechanical framework, I suppose.

<snip>

At large size with high Strength and Constitution and Low Intelligence...I'd say 4e nailed it. Not especially interesting, as you put it, but the giant lumbering brute shtick only has so many legs.
I agree with both the paragraphs I've quoted.

Given the second one, I'm not entirely sure what [MENTION=95493]Tovec[/MENTION] is calling for that is missing or hard to do. Which is not to say that there isn't anything missing or hard - I just haven't yet quite worked out what it is.

Sure, but I could buy the argument that they should have something distinctive, even if they didn't in 4E.
No objection to that if someone can make a case for what is should be. Though, as Manbearcat says, there might be limits to the giant lumbering brute schtick.

No objection to that if someone can make a case for what is should be. Though, as Manbearcat says, there might be limits to the giant lumbering brute schtick.
Well, to be fair, I think ogres are a poor example for finding something unique. Tovec could just be speaking conceptually, and ogres happen to be a bad example.

Tovec

Explorer
You have said that, but you haven't demonstrated it. Classes and roles are both mechanical contructs. They have different names, but that doesn't necessarily make them all that different. Since characters have class and role, and monsters only have role, this also suggests they can mean different things for different uses.
I haven't demonstrated that roles are different from classes?

4e Classes have roles.
4e Monsters have roles.
4e CHARACTERS (which is where I would draw the comparison to monsters) have roles and classes. Granted they have a role Because the class but they still have both.

When the role is all that defines the character and their abilities then I think something is lacking.

For example, I have been playing a lot of the old republic. In that game I have several characters, including a Jedi Knight, Republic Trooper and Sith Inquisitor.

Now there are 3 main roles that the game allows - which are: damage, healing and tanking. The advanced Jedi Knight (called a guardian) is capable of tanking as one of his specialties. The Trooper (advanced to be a vanguard) can do the same thing. Both of these classes can also do decent amounts of damage. The Sith Inquisitor can (when advanced to a sorcerer) do damage or healing. The Trooper (as a commando) can do healing too. In various ways all three of these classes advance and perform one of the two roles available to them. The sorcerer is never going to be a tank and the guardian is never going to heal.

I gave this example to illustrate that I UNDERSTAND where roles come into effect. Especially where they come into effect in relation to classes. With all that said I have two objections.

First, is that these roles are too limiting, especially when used as their only defining characteristic. We get that all the time when people talk about how 4e fighters are defenders AND strikes. Or (in my old republic terms) when some says "are you a healer or damage". What is more, it fails to take into account sub-systems or sub-specialties that aren't defined by those three roles. Half the classes in (the old republic) seem to be able to stealth but that option isn't listed as frequently. I would only assume something similar to this happens in 4e as well. In fact if you want I'll go find examples of where this is true in this very thread.

Second, we also have classes in the game. If we only had roles then that would vastly change interactions when looking for a group, or when chilling with my friends. It wouldn't tell people if I was melee or ranged, if I was a good guy or bad, if I could stealth, or heal or anything. It is only one aspect. It especially doesn't explain WHERE abilities come from. Saying "healer" doesn't touch on (in terms of my old republic game) the whole force aspect of my character. Similarly when using roles as classes you encounter the same problems.
'Brute Academy' is what pemerton explained, but without levels in something that doesn't really satisfy me. A level 11 brute doesn't work the same as level 11 barbarian - because barbarian IS a class. Its role as brute comes after. If I take that barbarian and build him as something else then that brute title no longer works.

Just like a 4E monster, if you look at role levels as, well, levels. X levels of brute and you know what you have. But without those levels, the human PC is nothing. He is a non-entity. Why is this acceptable for a character but not a monster?
I'm done with this as we are clearly missing eachother. You and I simply disagree on what BASE human actually is then. Yes he doesn't have any abilities without class levels. That is fine, that is what I look for in a RACE. If ogres looked like that I would be happy because then I can understand what happens when I tack on barbarian, or shaman or anything. The same isn't said for "lurker" ogres or "brute" ogres or "magic-y" ogres.

Okay, I thought you were arguing that an ogre, for example, had to have ogre levels in order to be meaningful. Maybe I'm misunderstanding. Do you mean that racial adjustments (similar to those used for PCs) would be sufficient? I can get on board with that.
Level adjustments are only part of it. I would be fine on at least part of my problems if the 4e had a Ogre : Level 4 Brute : Large natural humanoid : XP 18** instead of a Ogre Warhulk : Level 11 Elite Brute : Large natural humanoid : XP 1,200
Maybe you can spot which parts I have a problem with. Especially since pemerton seems to think the warhulk is the typical ogre. I've looked and haven't found warhulk as a class anywhere. Perhaps I'm missing something.
Again, I don't have a problem with the roles being on the sheet per se, roles help sometimes. I have a problem when they are the only thing or even the main thing that defines a monster.

But this analogy falls apart because monsters don't use class + role. They only use role. And, strictly speaking, characters don't use class + role anyway - their class is a subset of a role. Which means they are also defined by their role, but PC roles have more granularity than monster roles.
I would say role is a subset of class. You CAN go looking for classes with a role in mind. But more often than not I would think most people go looking for classes with classes in mind and then figure out what role they fit after.

It's a 1st level goblin lurker, in the 4e MM. I may have the name wrong - I'm going from memory - but I know the monster is there, because I used a couple of them in the first 4e goblin encounter that I ran.
My statement wasn't that the "blackblade goblin" notation wasn't real. My statement was that I couldn't find a blackblade CLASS anywhere. Again, I'm not that hip with 4e so that could be a mistake. If you will direct me to the book with a page number or something then I'll look it up. If it only exists as a notation on the goblin then I take objection.

As I can't find blackblade (but I can find rogue or fighter for example) then I can't tell where the blackblade abilities come from. For now I'll just guess that they are made up as the writer went along and then attached the blackblade title to the goblin when he was finished. That is great for him, but it doesn't help me when I'm looking for a basic goblin to make my own, unless I want to strip things out of the blackblade goblin and put new ones in. For an addendum to this: God help me if I cut a "goblin" out because I can't tell. My players would flip at that kind of inconsistency.

"Class", originally, meant something like (i) the adventuring vocation that a PC has adopted, and (ii) the role that the player will work within - mechanically, thematically, etc - in playing the game. Now from early in the game NPCs had classes, even though (ii) didn't apply to them. But (i) still did - "class" corresponded to an NPCs vocation.
Did I say giant class? If I did that's an error. I would have meant to say giant levels. Also, monster levels as opposed to a purely monster class. You understand 3e monster rules so you aren't confused on that mark.

Hell, as far as that goes, CREATE a blackblade class.. oops sorry, not 'class'. Well yes 'class' because class is the best thing to denote what it is. At least when you create the blackblade class I can link the abilities of monsters with the blackblade notations to that class. I don't care if it is a monster only class or if PCs can take it too. Just like I never cared if I saw a ogre with barbarian levels. Perhaps you do and that is the issue here, who knows.

But when we say that giant is a class, we're not talking about anyone's vocation. As far as I can see, it is just a device for building monsters. In that respect, I don't see how it is any different from Brute, other than specifying slightly different mechancial conequences for each level taken.
Because BRUTE isn't a class. Classes have abilities. Roles are a definition on what those abilities represent. I'm not opposed to brute as a term to describe big lumbering idiotic monsters. I think it is kind of cool that they were able to boil down its essence that way. I DO care when brute is its only defining feature beyond the meaningless titles they put on the monster block. Brute doesn't just represent big, dumb, slow monsters with HP. It PRESCRIBES them. You won't find (except rarely) a big dumb lumbering monster with HIGH HP and high reflex and high damage. That would break the balance of 4e. I would have to call it a striker. But then again strikes are lean, nimble creatures with high AC and lower HP, they also have that high reflex and high damage thing. Renaming it to striker then muddies the definition, which I also take exception to.

My main issue with this by the way is that there is no reason one way or another for the ogre to have high reflex or low reflex. Except that it is a brute and it should because it is a brute. The strikers are different and to redefining an ogre as a striker is relatively minor in comparison.

This takes me to the second thing.

On the one hand, you seem to agree that these are just mechanical constructs. On the other hand, you seem to be complaining that there is no "vanilla" ogre that you can include in the game for the PCs to encounter - which seems to mean that you envisage the BASE ogre is more than just a mechanical construct, but as a mechanical representation of something in the gameworld. I'm not sure what, though - I suggested it might be the typical ogre, but I think you disagreed with that. But I don't see the problem with using any of the Ogre Savage, Thug or Bludgeoneer as a typical ogre.
First, I recognize that the entire game is a mechanical construct. I don't like how the mechanics of that construct seem to get in the way.
Second, I do want a vanilla ogre. Just as I want a vanilla fire elemental, or black dragon or anything.
Third, my issue stems from the terms savage, thug and bludgeoneer meaning nothing beyond a fancy title on the ogre's nameplate. Did you ever see the PHB2 from 3.5? In it there was a chapter that had all kinds of backgrounds and roles and things that players could use to spice up their characters. I would never use the "streetrat" title to solely define the 12 level halfling rogue who has enough personal wealth to start a country. But 4e seems to revel in it. Doing so for practically every monster and every level in the entire MM.

And why does one ogre have better reflexes than another? Presumably the same reason some humans have better reflexes than others - it is quicker, lighter, better trained, etc. And why more hp? It's bigger, tougher, luckier, etc. It's not that hard to come up with a story to tell, I don't think. (Give your ogre another few giant levels and its reflexes will go up, as will its hp - why? Because it's a bigger giant? - that works for hp but doesn't make much sense for reflex, does it? Anyway, whatever story you would tell to explain that, you can tell the same story for your higher reflex 4e ogre.)
Why does one ogre have better reflexes than another? Because the MM says so. Because the MM says so I now have to come up with an explanation to use them when I never had to do that before. It could be that they are more nimble and then underwent extensive training in a hidden Tibetan monastery in order to hone their talents. Or whatever other backstory reason I so choose. But I don't appreciate when I have to come up with that reason JUST BECAUSE all of a sudden my players are encountering that one group of ogres who are able to successfully dodge the fireball when all the others simply took full damage. (I understand that example may not translate as well in 4e terms.) If there is no basic ogre for me to use then my PCs will never know what they are going to fight, even if they have dealt with ogres every level since leaving their farms. That is why I want a basic ogre. I want it so that I can level it up as needed and so that the players can encounter a higher level ogre which is vanilla and know it will probably be a bigger tougher version of the thing they fought a little while back.

Instead I get an ogre who can suddenly avoid their attacks like never before. Which leads me into your next point.

Let's suppose you decide to use the Ogre Savage as the typical ogre. And now you decide you want to make a rock-throwing ogre. So you start with the savage. You add on a "thrown rock" at will ranged attack, and maybe a "hurricane of stones" encounter AoE attack. Now you've got a brute that is slighly more effective than the typical brute, because it can attack from range without closing/charging. So it's level (let's call this level A) is no longer an accurate indication of the mechanical challenge that it poses. What should you do? Well, you could work out what level it would have to be to be an artillery monster with that many hit points (let's call this level B) - but if you move it to that level, you'll find that your attack bonuses, damage and defences are all too low - that is, the level B will still fail to be an accurate indication of the mechanical challenge that it poses.
Unless rock throwing is something completely foreign or very difficult for all ogres to just pick up and do, I don't understand why there needs to be a new build (and new class?) to accomplish it. I especially don't understand why the rock throwing ogres are going to have such vastly different stats. If the rock throwing ogres, which are basically the same creatures as the non-rock throwing alternatives, have lower HP and stronger damage - because the math says so - and now I have to explain why. That is a problem for me.

Also, I would never have an ogre with "hurricane" anything. Nor would I like my ogre to have "hurricane of stones AOE attack". But that is an objection on a completely different set of variables and has nothing to do with the conversation we've been having.

4e is designed on the assumption that, at that point, you'll pick a level somewhere between A and B, drop the hit points a bit and raise the defences (which, mathematically, should be more-or-less a wash for PCs of around that level),
(I had to cut it here to make sure you know what I mean.)

THIS right here is what I have a problem with. There isn't a class to say this must be so for the sake of balance. I am just expected to understand the scales and adjust accordingly. I have to do so because the math says so. Okay, we'll go on.

(snipped.) If that rationale is of no interest to you, then presumalby the 4e approach to monster building won't interest you either. (Which isn't to say that the 3E approach should be of interest instead. I'm still not quite sure what rationale it serves.)
That is probably my objection and why I have such an issue if it continues for 5e design going forward.

Are you not sure what rationale 3e serves? That sentence in () is a little tricky.

To reiterate - if you want to build monsters that are both brutish and can throw rocks, but don't particularly care to ensure that they are predictable and reliable in the mechanical challenge that they pose, then I don't think 4e's role system has much to offer you. Just give the monster the numbers that best fit your conception of it and go to town! (This is how Burning Wheel does it, and I think largely how classic D&D did it, except for attack bonuses which were dependent on HD.)
That isn't actually what my point is either way. My point is that the brute/artillery/skirmisher divide is the one driving the truck. The math is what is important there instead of the build. That is the whole prescriptive/descriptive conversation we were having several pages back.

The problem is (1) that brute can and should do more things. (2) That the brute title doesn't articulate the creature well enough when a single role is used. (3) That the role isn't a class and shouldn't be used as such. (4)And that I want a goshdarn vanilla ogre that I can use and say "An ogre pops out of the [type of cover] and attacks" without having to figure out if he is the minion, solo, elite, boss, artillery, gunnery, birdman, acrobat version. Brute is fine because it is descriptive but if ogre is done well I honestly don't need that title either.

None of which are countered with the "if you don't like 4e style don't use it". Because 5e style is what I was talking about all along and if 5e follows 4e then I won't have many choices as far as not using it.

But no.. I don't understand why there needs to be a new class for the rock throwing ogre or why the rock throwing ogre is suddenly overpowered and needs to be curbed.

No, my argument isn't that they should be distinctive and they aren't. I think that 4e had things that were different. In a lot of ways my argument is that they are too different without any reason why. Except balance and this psudo explanation that roles are now classes.

Well, to be fair, I think ogres are a poor example for finding something unique. Tovec could just be speaking conceptually, and ogres happen to be a bad example.
I don't think ogres are a particularly bad example. I would have similar concerns for any monsters which are a race. Go back and substitute ORC for ogre for everything I said above and I'll still have the same objections.

I think that there is more to it though and that for THOSE examples ogres may not fit as well. I've tried using dragons and other monsters but ogre is the one that stuck so it's what I'm using.

And I am speaking conceptually. The only downside that ogres have when compared to races as whole is that ogres are generally dumber than most races as whole, and then give me less reasons to think there should be the black magic ogre and the white magic ogre and the druidy ogre and so on. But the examples in the book (MM) don't really offer that much variation so that makes things easier too.
Oh and that I think ogres generally make poor PCs even with level adjustments - I've had them I would know - unlike orcs.
--Also don't go back and substitute any old kind of monster for 'ogre' in my posts. Orcs will work (most of the time) because I generally see them as dumb, slower, beefier monsters. But orcs are also a race. I don't see giant spiders as a race, nor rust monsters, or dragons, or elementals, or outsiders, or vampires, or oozes, or manticores, or pegasi, or animals, or vermin, or dinosaurs, or cloakers or chokers, or even most creatures in the MM. The arguments I was making by in large are about monster race type ogres vs unique monster monsters. Even I would have to go back and double check how my sentiments apply to other types of monsters.

**I have no idea how many XP to give a level 4 non-roled brute.

pemerton

Legend
When the role is all that defines the character and their abilities then I think something is lacking.
But role is not all that defines a 4e monster and its abilities. You can't read its abilities of its role except in a pretty general sense (brutes are low defence, high damage; soldiers are high defence and melee control; skirmishers are mobile; artillery attack at range; controllers are high control, either ranged, melee or both).

Its traits and powers are what define its character and abilities.

that brute can and should do more things.

<snip>

That the role isn't a class and shouldn't be used as such.
Who is using role as a class, in the sense of defining abilities? And which brutes can't do enough things?

I'm not sure what range of monsters you have in mind, but the last brute I used was the Nightwalker (MM p 197). It has a ranged finger of death attack, as well as a vicious aura and at-will minor action AoE. Before that, I used a Troll (levelled up and outwards to a 13th level solo), which has regeneration and vicous melee attacks. Before that, I used a (levelled-up) Skeletal Tomb Guardian (MM p 235), which has multiple melee attacks and also punishes anyone adjacent who shifts.

Then there's the wide variety of gnoll brutes that I've used. Even within the MM (and the best gnolls are in the MM2) there is the Demonic Scourge and the Marauder - two very different brutes.

If there is no basic ogre for me to use then my PCs will never know what they are going to fight, even if they have dealt with ogres every level since leaving their farms.
First, is your concern too little diversity, or too much?

Second, is this particular comment based on actual play experience, or theory? I mean, the ogres in the MM are not very different. They are Large, with reach, and big melee attacks. They mostly wear hide armour and carry clubs. The only one with a ranged attack carries javelins. The only elite one carries a flail rather than a club, and in the picture on p 198 is fairly clearly the biggest, toughest ogre. How is it that your players don't know what it is that their PCs are facing when they encounter these things?

I want a goshdarn vanilla ogre that I can use and say "An ogre pops out of the [type of cover] and attacks" without having to figure out if he is the minion, solo, elite, boss, artillery, gunnery, birdman, acrobat version. Brute is fine because it is descriptive but if ogre is done well I honestly don't need that title either.
Is this a real complaint? And are you sure ogres are the right example? I mean, there are only five examples in the MM, and two are minions, obviously for use against different levels of PC. So to answer your question, you use the Ogre Savage if the PCs are 6th to 8th level, a group of Thugs if the PCs are 9th to (say) 13th level, and a group of Bludgeoneers if the PCs are (say) 14th to 17th level. (At upper paragon, the game assumes that the PCs don't meet ogres anymore.)

If you want a solitary ogre that will provide an interesting encounter for a group of 12th level PCs then you'll have to build itself (I'd start from the Warhulk as a base), just like I built the solo troll I mentioned above. Luckily the DMG has pretty good advice on how to do this.

Especially since pemerton seems to think the warhulk is the typical ogre
Actually, in post 150 I said "any but the warhulk would seem pretty typical to me" ie the warhulk is the only one in the MM that I think is atypical.

A level 11 brute doesn't work the same as level 11 barbarian

<snip>

Because BRUTE isn't a class. Classes have abilities.
Because "brute" on its own doesn't tell you what your powers are. These have to be supplied by the GM, or (in WotC's ideal world) read out of a monster manual that you've bought from them. Powers, not role, are the primary source of a 4e monster's abilities. (In 3E, knowing that a monster has giant levels doesn't tell you its abilities either. You have to assign it feats, and gear, and spend its skill points. If it is a new monster you also have to assign it racial abilities - for monsters like unicorns, or pixies, or demons, that decision about racial abilities is where most of the design work takes place.)

If ogres looked like that I would be happy because then I can understand what happens when I tack on barbarian, or shaman or anything. The same isn't said for "lurker" ogres or "brute" ogres or "magic-y" ogres.
PC race is a tool for the players to use in building their PCs. Ideally, all the PCs races are balanced against one another, and provide equally viable yet different vehicles for engaging the gameworld via play.

4e monster design assumes that a GM building a monster is doing something different. It assumes that you already know what you want your ogre to look like (roughly, big, tough and stupid) and gives you tools to correlate basic monster stats to a power level. If you want your barbarian to be a shaman, take the 8th level skirmisher ogre in the MM and give it the "conjure spirit" and "healing spirit powers" - and maybe reskin its javelin attack as an assault from the primal spirits. Job done. There's nothing more to understand about what it means to tack on barbarian or shaman to an ogre. The only question is "Will it play like a barbarian?" - an ogre savage probably will - or "Will it play like a shaman?" - I think my rough-and-ready shaman probably will.

I've looked and haven't found warhulk as a class anywhere.

<snip>

My statement wasn't that the "blackblade goblin" notation wasn't real. My statement was that I couldn't find a blackblade CLASS anywhere. Again, I'm not that hip with 4e so that could be a mistake. If you will direct me to the book with a page number or something then I'll look it up. If it only exists as a notation on the goblin then I take objection.
Warhulk isn't a class - the ogre warhulk isn't an ogre that took a class. Nor is blackblade a class - it's a memorable label for a skulking goblin.

"Taking a class" is part of PC building. The warhulk could be a trained combatant, or a mad thing blessed by Vaprak. It's backstory is not, to any signficant degree, a part of, or reflected in, its stats. The blackblade could be a trained assassin, or it could be something like the goblin version of Gollum, a self-taught hater of all fair and beautiful things. (It's not true of all 4e monsters that their backstory is not reflected in their stats. But I think it's fairly obviously true of the Ogre Warhulk and the Goblin Blackblade.)

As I can't find blackblade (but I can find rogue or fighter for example) then I can't tell where the blackblade abilities come from.
The game expects that, if this needs to be known in play, the GM will make it up. It's a sneaky goblin. It hates bright and beautiful things. It enjoys inflicting pain. It probably kidnaps children when it gets the chance. There are some 4e monsters that I think can be tricky to bring to life in a story sense, but neither the OGre Warhulk nor the Goblin Blackblade seems to me to be an instance (the two instances that stick out in my mind of the many 4e monsters that I've used are the Pact Hag and the Chained Cambion - both from MM3, which of the various 4e monster books is the one that pushes hardest in linking mechanics to concepts, I think).

At least when you create the blackblade class I can link the abilities of monsters with the blackblade notations to that class. I don't care if it is a monster only class or if PCs can take it too. Just like I never cared if I saw a ogre with barbarian levels. Perhaps you do and that is the issue here, who knows.
I don't need a blackblade class. The only monster with the blackblade notation is that goblin. But if I wanted to create a Bugbear Blackblade then it wouldn't be very hard - trivial, in fact, to add 6 levels onto the goblin blackblade, and replace its "goblin tactics" power with the bugbear "predatory eye" power. Or even easier, just double the bonus damage for attacking with combat advantage.

the terms savage, thug and bludgeoneer meaning nothing beyond a fancy title on the ogre's nameplate.
They don't have any mechanical meaning. They're not meant to. They give you a unique identifier for each monster, which is handy for reference and indexing. They're also, in most cases at least, descriptive of what the monster does. An Ogre Savage attacks things savagely. An Ogre Thug is a thuggish minion type. An Ogre Bludgeoneer bludgeons things.

I would think most people go looking for classes with classes in mind
Choosing a class as a player is, primarily, choosing the mechanical and thematic vehicle via which you will engage the game. It seems to me a very different task from building a monster, which isn't about any such thing.

Why does one ogre have better reflexes than another? Because the MM says so. Because the MM says so I now have to come up with an explanation to use them when I never had to do that before.
Huh? If you placed a ogre rogue in a 3E game, presumably you would have to explain how a dumb, lumbering monster became a nimble thief. Whatever story you would tell, you can tell the same story for your MM ogre with better reflexes.

I don't understand why there needs to be a new build (and new class?) to accomplish it. I especially don't understand why the rock throwing ogres are going to have such vastly different stats. If the rock throwing ogres, which are basically the same creatures as the non-rock throwing alternatives, have lower HP and stronger damage - because the math says so - and now I have to explain why.

<snip>

I don't understand why there needs to be a new class for the rock throwing ogre or why the rock throwing ogre is suddenly overpowered and needs to be curbed
There is no new class for a rockthrowing ogre in any meaningful sense. Monsters don't have classes in the way that PCs do (as in, preset patterns of development that specify a suite of abilities and stats). They have roles, which set some basic mathematical parameters. This mathematics is intended to maintain mechanically predictable and reliable encounters. Hence the fact that a skirmisher or artillery monster with a given number of hit points is higher level, because (everything else being equal) attacking the PCs at range makes you stronger than attacking in melee. (And level is just a number that reflects toughness.)

My use of "reliable and predictable" is deliberate. Of course, you can do calculations that tell you that a monster who hits 1 time in 10 for 120 average damage is as dangerous as a monster who hits 2 times in three for 18 average damage (12 average damage per attack in either case). But 4e takes for granted that that sort of swinginess does not make for interesting play. Hence its preference for smoothing the numbers to maintain a certain play experience.

As I said upthread, if you're not interested in that, then the 4e monster building rules are probably of no real use to you.

But as for the explanation: what is there too explain? These ogres here have X hp. These other ones have Y hp. Just like some giants in Against the Giants have more hit points than others. Some 10th level fighters have more hp than others (in AD&D, at least, where hit points are rolled). I'm not seeing the issue.

You won't find (except rarely) a big dumb lumbering monster with HIGH HP and high reflex and high damage. That would break the balance of 4e. I would have to call it a striker. But then again strikes are lean, nimble creatures with high AC and lower HP, they also have that high reflex and high damage thing. Renaming it to striker then muddies the definition, which I also take exception to.
I don't quite follow this, because "striker" is a PC role, not a monster role. Do you mean "skirmisher"?

Anyway, you won't find a giant in 3E with high reflex either. Both 4e and 3E buy into the trope that "big, dumb, lumbering" creatures aren't very nimble. Which probably is inherent to the meaning of "lumbering".

And just looking at the first brute I ever used, the Goblin skullcleaver: AC 16, Fortitude 15, Reflex 14, Will 12. That Reflex is not particularly low at all. A page or two back, the Bugbear Warrior has AC 18, Fortitude 17, Reflex 15, Will 14. Again, that Reflex is not all that low. It's true that brutes tend to have comparatively higher Fort (in some cases higher than AC) but that seems to be part of the whole big, tough schtick.

Are you not sure what rationale 3e serves?
Correct. I don't understand the rationale behind the 3E monster building rules. Monster type is treated as if it were a class, except it plays none of the useful functions of a class - it does not model an ingame vocation, nor does it provide a metagame framework within the constraints of which a player engages the game. So what are "giant levels", "dragon levels" etc for?

What is the point of giving dragons more hp per point of saving throw, but fewer hp perpoint of BAB, than giants? AD&D made much more sense to me - monsters are measured in HD, which are a uniform d8 (with some very rare and ignorable exceptions), and attacks and (typically) saves correlate directly to HD. In AD&D, HD are a rough-and-ready measure of a monster's toughness. In 3E the "monster levels" that replace them don't serve any obviously useful purpose at all, given how varied across monster types are the attributes of any given HD (and that's even before monster stats, which can change attack bonuses, saves and hp radically, are factored in).

I probably shouldn't respond because there are a considerable number of tangential and perhaps mutually exclusive ideas/theories going on in your post Tovec. But I guess I will. I have to admit, like Pemerton I too am uncertain what the thrust of your post is saying. It seems to be saying

1 - something about roles built into character classes in 4e narrowing the scope of PC capability?

2 - something about incoherency of Monster Design/Building capabilities in 4e versus the design framework of 3e...because there isn't a stock generic for each race upon which you can build an archetype (or the many archetypes listed in the various Monster Manuals/other sources don't address the various archetypes)?

3 - something about role overlap between classes and monsters being irksome in 4e?

In total, like Pemerton, I would ask if these positions are from experience or theory?

Regarding 1) I would say that almost class has a very effective sub-role (or multiples). I would say every defender is a defender/melee controller by nature. Further, some can be built to be more than serviceable single target damage dealers, multi-target damage dealers, or support/leaders. The classes each do have a default focus, but you can dilute that focus through the other various PC build resources (feats, theme, multi-classing, hybridizing, power swapping, paragon pathing out of your focus).

Regarding 2) I would say that for every single race I could find its generic analog that maps perfectly to my expectations of it from prior editions. I could go further and find all the archetypes required to more than adequately represent every angle (and then some) of its social system (from berserkers, to shaman, to scouts, to pack handlers, etc).

Regarding 3) there is a difference between PC roles and monster roles. Monster roles express a monster's tactics/physicality and this generally works as a more than reasonable proxy for their place in the world/their social system (or lackthereof). It is a design tool meant to facilitate ease of handling and clear, concise, coherent mapping to a DMs expectations of how this creature should "work" consistently in play.

3e handles all of these things differently (while merely intimating that some of these things exist rather than overtly expressing them)...but I wouldn't say that you can't do in 4e what you can do in 3e regarding these 3 things. Now if in there somewhere you are asserting that on the issue of ease of PC build matching favored archetypes without having to massage the mechanics slightly or re-skin...absolutely, I'll grant you that it is certainly easier to pull off in 3e.

Ratskinner

Adventurer
This might address the bafflement of yourself and <!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: dbtech_usertag_mention -->@Ratskinner <!-- END TEMPLATE: dbtech_usertag_mention -->:

As I said in my last post, monsters have never been more different from monsters of another type than they are in 4e. Goblins are not orcs, nor are they kobolds (unlike in earlier editions where fluff was required to distinguish them). It is that point that I imagine (I'm guessing here, not trying to set up a strawman) the two of you consider when people complain that monsters are too similar. It's plainly wrong...from that angle...monsters ARE more different from one another than ever before. There are few things I'd claim in regard to edition as fact, and this is one. It's demonstrable.

But, here's where I MIGHT be able to shed some light on why people say that (as someone who does think it to a degree). While all kobolds are clearly different from all goblins...there is too much variety within kobolds. That variety limits what the kobold CANNOT do.

If you point to a kobold, there are two ways to define it: 1. It's schtick. 2. Its limitations. While 4e gave each monster a cool mechanical, and defining schtick, the (in my opinion) flawed designing of both later 3e and 4e that makes kobold brutes, kobold sneaks, kobold soldiers, kobold elites, kobold lurkers, etc etc etc. viable enemies to fight.

No more is there the player assumption of "ah ha! an ogre! if it can't get close, we've got this, easy!" The ogre COULD be a rock thrower ogre, as you suggested.

That's what I'm arguing makes sameness. Without those limitations, every monster becomes ANY monster...because it can.

That makes some sense. I think I agree, in general, with your premise. However, I feel that affected the feel of encounters in 4e more than monsters. I know that other people feel that 4e brings a lot of great excitement and variety to encounters, but I lost that feeling pretty quickly. I think that's a big part of it. The individual goblin is much different than the individual kobold, but in the end the encounter with several of either of them is fairly similar.

I think, as much as I like 4e's monster design philosophy, that the roles perhaps stood out a little too strongly. Perhaps they have it backwards. Don't start with role and then add a skin for the monster flavor. Start with the monster core and then skin with roles. Perhaps roles should even be monster themes that you could ignore for a more old-school feel. Even so, I have some reservations about how that affects different types of monsters. It sounds fine for humanoids and the like, but I'm not sure how well that works for say....manticores.

Tovec

Explorer
But role is not all that defines a 4e monster and its abilities. You can't read its abilities of its role except in a pretty general sense (brutes are low defence, high damage; soldiers are high defence and melee control; skirmishers are mobile; artillery attack at range; controllers are high control, either ranged, melee or both).

Its traits and powers are what define its character and abilities.

Who is using role as a class, in the sense of defining abilities? And which brutes can't do enough things?
Since 4E has no monster classes, its role is effectively its class.
He is.

I'm not sure what range of monsters you have in mind, but the last brute I used was the Nightwalker (MM p 197). It has a ranged finger of death attack, as well as a vicious aura and at-will minor action AoE. Before that, I used a Troll (levelled up and outwards to a 13th level solo), which has regeneration and vicous melee attacks. Before that, I used a (levelled-up) Skeletal Tomb Guardian (MM p 235), which has multiple melee attacks and also punishes anyone adjacent who shifts.

Then there's the wide variety of gnoll brutes that I've used. Even within the MM (and the best gnolls are in the MM2) there is the Demonic Scourge and the Marauder - two very different brutes.

First, is your concern too little diversity, or too much?
It is too much diversity in the wrong ways.

Second, is this particular comment based on actual play experience, or theory? I mean, the ogres in the MM are not very different. They are Large, with reach, and big melee attacks. They mostly wear hide armour and carry clubs. The only one with a ranged attack carries javelins. The only elite one carries a flail rather than a club, and in the picture on p 198 is fairly clearly the biggest, toughest ogre. How is it that your players don't know what it is that their PCs are facing when they encounter these things?
I have always been talking about the 5e design process for monsters. Not the 4e one that was implemented. In that regard; theoretical because the monster design hasn't really been released in any detail so far.
Now I am discussing the theories based on 4e design as far as it extends to the primary topic which was "should roles be first and foremost". I think they should exist but I think there are several problems with having them be the sole or primary descriptor that matters.

Is this a real complaint? And are you sure ogres are the right example? I mean, there are only five examples in the MM, and two are minions, obviously for use against different levels of PC. So to answer your question, you use the Ogre Savage if the PCs are 6th to 8th level, a group of Thugs if the PCs are 9th to (say) 13th level, and a group of Bludgeoneers if the PCs are (say) 14th to 17th level. (At upper paragon, the game assumes that the PCs don't meet ogres anymore.)

If you want a solitary ogre that will provide an interesting encounter for a group of 12th level PCs then you'll have to build itself (I'd start from the Warhulk as a base), just like I built the solo troll I mentioned above. Luckily the DMG has pretty good advice on how to do this.
All of my comments about the birdman, artillery, etc. ogres were due to what YOU were saying about theoretical ogres, not about the MM ogres. Beyond that, YES it is a real complaint, actually it is several ones - none of which you decided to reply to.

Actually, in post 150 I said "any but the warhulk would seem pretty typical to me" ie the warhulk is the only one in the MM that I think is atypical.
Once again, that is my mistake. The fault came with how that sentence was arranged, I thought the "any but" was part of the previous part of the sentence and that the "warhulk was typical" was a different thought. That could have been corrected in my last post then.
What ogre DO you consider typical - if you could only pick one?

Because "brute" on its own doesn't tell you what your powers are. These have to be supplied by the GM, or (in WotC's ideal world) read out of a monster manual that you've bought from them. Powers, not role, are the primary source of a 4e monster's abilities. (In 3E, knowing that a monster has giant levels doesn't tell you its abilities either. You have to assign it feats, and gear, and spend its skill points. If it is a new monster you also have to assign it racial abilities - for monsters like unicorns, or pixies, or demons, that decision about racial abilities is where most of the design work takes place.)
Actually unicorns are in that unique monster group I keep talking about and demons and pixies are in the last group - which are a mixture. The reason they take so long to design IS because they have unique or odd abilities. Otherwise I would expect them to be fairly easy to create.
Giant levels still give you the core - you know how many feats and what level (as far as prereqs especially), you know if they gain anything racially or if it is solely through level advancement. You know their BAB, saves, skills and HD ALL based on giant levels.

PC race is a tool for the players to use in building their PCs. Ideally, all the PCs races are balanced against one another, and provide equally viable yet different vehicles for engaging the gameworld via play.

4e monster design assumes that a GM building a monster is doing something different. It assumes that you already know what you want your ogre to look like (roughly, big, tough and stupid) and gives you tools to correlate basic monster stats to a power level. If you want your barbarian to be a shaman, take the 8th level skirmisher ogre in the MM and give it the "conjure spirit" and "healing spirit powers" - and maybe reskin its javelin attack as an assault from the primal spirits. Job done. There's nothing more to understand about what it means to tack on barbarian or shaman to an ogre. The only question is "Will it play like a barbarian?" - an ogre savage probably will - or "Will it play like a shaman?" - I think my rough-and-ready shaman probably will.

Warhulk isn't a class - the ogre warhulk isn't an ogre that took a class. Nor is blackblade a class - it's a memorable label for a skulking goblin.

"Taking a class" is part of PC building. The warhulk could be a trained combatant, or a mad thing blessed by Vaprak. It's backstory is not, to any signficant degree, a part of, or reflected in, its stats. The blackblade could be a trained assassin, or it could be something like the goblin version of Gollum, a self-taught hater of all fair and beautiful things. (It's not true of all 4e monsters that their backstory is not reflected in their stats. But I think it's fairly obviously true of the Ogre Warhulk and the Goblin Blackblade.)

The game expects that, if this needs to be known in play, the GM will make it up. It's a sneaky goblin. It hates bright and beautiful things. It enjoys inflicting pain. It probably kidnaps children when it gets the chance. There are some 4e monsters that I think can be tricky to bring to life in a story sense, but neither the OGre Warhulk nor the Goblin Blackblade seems to me to be an instance (the two instances that stick out in my mind of the many 4e monsters that I've used are the Pact Hag and the Chained Cambion - both from MM3, which of the various 4e monster books is the one that pushes hardest in linking mechanics to concepts, I think).

I don't need a blackblade class. The only monster with the blackblade notation is that goblin. But if I wanted to create a Bugbear Blackblade then it wouldn't be very hard - trivial, in fact, to add 6 levels onto the goblin blackblade, and replace its "goblin tactics" power with the bugbear "predatory eye" power. Or even easier, just double the bonus damage for attacking with combat advantage.
I'm glad YOU don't need a blackblade class to tell you where abilities come from. But it is something I need to have to properly understand where abiltiies come from. I don't expect to see 20th or 30th level "humans" walking around either. I expect them to advance by class, either PC or NPC, starting at level 1. I don't understand your aversion to letting me have something similar when it comes to ogres.

They don't have any mechanical meaning. They're not meant to. They give you a unique identifier for each monster, which is handy for reference and indexing. They're also, in most cases at least, descriptive of what the monster does. An Ogre Savage attacks things savagely. An Ogre Thug is a thuggish minion type. An Ogre Bludgeoneer bludgeons things.

Choosing a class as a player is, primarily, choosing the mechanical and thematic vehicle via which you will engage the game. It seems to me a very different task from building a monster, which isn't about any such thing.

Huh? If you placed a ogre rogue in a 3E game, presumably you would have to explain how a dumb, lumbering monster became a nimble thief. Whatever story you would tell, you can tell the same story for your MM ogre with better reflexes.
There is no rogue ogre, so I've never had to come up with that explanation. If I decided to make one then I certainly would have a reason. The same doesn't apply for random variations on nearly ALL monsters in the MM. How often is there only 1 (or perhaps 2 for an advanced version) of a creature in the MM1? (I'm only saying MM1 because fixing it later doesn't really apply or interest me at the moment.)

There is no new class for a rockthrowing ogre in any meaningful sense. Monsters don't have classes in the way that PCs do (as in, preset patterns of development that specify a suite of abilities and stats). They have roles, which set some basic mathematical parameters. This mathematics is intended to maintain mechanically predictable and reliable encounters. Hence the fact that a skirmisher or artillery monster with a given number of hit points is higher level, because (everything else being equal) attacking the PCs at range makes you stronger than attacking in melee. (And level is just a number that reflects toughness.)
You are the one who mentioned a different build for rockthrowing ogres. I just codified it with a class so that it would make sense to me (that's why I initially put the class part in brackets). Either way the sentiment still applies when removing the class part of the equation.
I don't understand why rockthrowing ogres would suddenly be overpowered and needed to be toned down - except the whole "1/10 chance to do a lot more damage thing" which is a completely different discussion.
My point is that there IS an artillery role and a brute role, when a brute is doing ranged attacks what is he?

My use of "reliable and predictable" is deliberate. Of course, you can do calculations that tell you that a monster who hits 1 time in 10 for 120 average damage is as dangerous as a monster who hits 2 times in three for 18 average damage (12 average damage per attack in either case). But 4e takes for granted that that sort of swinginess does not make for interesting play. Hence its preference for smoothing the numbers to maintain a certain play experience.

As I said upthread, if you're not interested in that, then the 4e monster building rules are probably of no real use to you.
Right and it doesn't have to do with the math, per se. It is just that the math is a part of what I don't understand about a role only description.
It only has to do with the math as far as the math influences the outcome based on roles. Which is when the math of 4e becomes prescriptive instead of descriptive.

But as for the explanation: what is there too explain? These ogres here have X hp. These other ones have Y hp. Just like some giants in Against the Giants have more hit points than others. Some 10th level fighters have more hp than others (in AD&D, at least, where hit points are rolled). I'm not seeing the issue.

I don't quite follow this, because "striker" is a PC role, not a monster role. Do you mean "skirmisher"?

Anyway, you won't find a giant in 3E with high reflex either. Both 4e and 3E buy into the trope that "big, dumb, lumbering" creatures aren't very nimble. Which probably is inherent to the meaning of "lumbering".

And just looking at the first brute I ever used, the Goblin skullcleaver: AC 16, Fortitude 15, Reflex 14, Will 12. That Reflex is not particularly low at all. A page or two back, the Bugbear Warrior has AC 18, Fortitude 17, Reflex 15, Will 14. Again, that Reflex is not all that low. It's true that brutes tend to have comparatively higher Fort (in some cases higher than AC) but that seems to be part of the whole big, tough schtick.
You'll notice I'm not even discussing the whole "roles are classes" or "where does this class come from". As we BOTH have said (and I assume we agree) the only thing on a monster block that could be considered classes are just fancy labels. We both said that but somehow you are arguing it over and over. My point, in that last post, was that IF there was a 'skullcleaver' class then it would make a lot more sense to me about how the game gives out abilities. If every skullcleaver could do the same kinds of things then it would make sense, any variation beyond that would be racial in one sense or another. INSTEAD everything on the block is racial, because there is no class and (as we've established) roles aren't even classes to give them these abilities.

Correct. I don't understand the rationale behind the 3E monster building rules. Monster type is treated as if it were a class, except it plays none of the useful functions of a class - it does not model an ingame vocation, nor does it provide a metagame framework within the constraints of which a player engages the game. So what are "giant levels", "dragon levels" etc for?

What is the point of giving dragons more hp per point of saving throw, but fewer hp perpoint of BAB, than giants? AD&D made much more sense to me - monsters are measured in HD, which are a uniform d8 (with some very rare and ignorable exceptions), and attacks and (typically) saves correlate directly to HD. In AD&D, HD are a rough-and-ready measure of a monster's toughness. In 3E the "monster levels" that replace them don't serve any obviously useful purpose at all, given how varied across monster types are the attributes of any given HD (and that's even before monster stats, which can change attack bonuses, saves and hp radically, are factored in).
I'm not an expert in game design. Nor did I come up with 3e's monster design philosophy. It is messy and difficult to navigate. It also works most of the time. I've used it more than once and been able to create unique monsters, racial monsters and outsiders (a mix of the two) very effectively. Monster Class does work to balance things and although it takes time and knowhow it does accomplish its role. Any issue beyond that will be ones of the length of time it takes and how balanced it is - in a linear fighter, quadratic wizard kind of way - which is not unique to the monster design. So I fail to see what is so confusion or troubling about 3e monster design as opposed to any other.

What I do like about the 3e design is that I can easily identify where the monster gets everything on its sheet. What comes from its class, or advancement, and what is racial. I can tell immediately what would be there at level one and what would change (or level up) if I advance it.
With 4e design, on a practical sense, I can swap out powers or do advancement to get a higher monster but since there is nothing but racial abilities I can't as easily eliminate the racial from the 'skullcleaver' when I want to make a completely unique form of the creature. (I have the skill to do it but having a index of what is 'monsterclass' and what isn't would be more helpful, which is all I've been saying as far as roles =/= class.)

So more or less we agree about what is. We disagree about what should be in the 5e design.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases