Working in the Game Mine

Hussar

Legend
Oh, I'm aware of the design mentality. I just think it needs to go in the other direction. Teach the GMs to make them individually unique on top of being inherently well-rounded, I say. Make the combat encounter interesting by virtue of fleshing out the well-roundedness to include personality traits on top of the base creatures rather than boiling them down and then making them cookie-cutter-interesting by imposing set combat roles on top of the bare bones. Players then aren't bored of the encounters after discovering the two or three types of combat roles they discover might be prevalent in any given species and the handful of tricks each combat role and species has grafted onto it.

The only problem is, you've now made DMing a job instead of a hobby. If I can't plop down half a dozen creatures in five minutes, it's too much work for me. I don't want to HAVE to customize every creature through a laborious process (see 3e D&D monster advancement rules) in order to get a different experience.

I want to be able to pick up the monster, know roughly what it's going to do, and use that. If I want a different sort of orc, I'll pick the skirmisher orc, or the soldier orc or the controller orc and use that. If I have to start from a baseline "orc" and then build each one individually by adding class levels (again, a la 3e D&D), I'm not going to. I'll use different monsters. Too much work.

The monster manual monsters are NOT the definitive creature. There is no such thing as a baseline orc or goblin or anything else. That's not what a monster manual is for. A monster manual is for providing opponents or allies (or possibly bystanders) for the PC's.

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
Besides, the problem you're seeing -- similar monsters -- isn't a problem inherent in the use of combat roles.

I see it as precisely the problem in their usage.

I hate it when my players say "oh it's probably a controller so attack it's fort", totally turn me off.

A classic example in a list of them.

The only problem is, you've now made DMing a job instead of a hobby. If I can't plop down half a dozen creatures in five minutes, it's too much work for me. I don't want to HAVE to customize every creature through a laborious process (see 3e D&D monster advancement rules) in order to get a different experience.

I want to be able to pick up the monster, know roughly what it's going to do, and use that. If I want a different sort of orc, I'll pick the skirmisher orc, or the soldier orc or the controller orc and use that. If I have to start from a baseline "orc" and then build each one individually by adding class levels (again, a la 3e D&D), I'm not going to. I'll use different monsters. Too much work.

The monster manual monsters are NOT the definitive creature. There is no such thing as a baseline orc or goblin or anything else. That's not what a monster manual is for. A monster manual is for providing opponents or allies (or possibly bystanders) for the PC's.

If the designers cannot teach how to become a better DM in the scenario I suggest, then I agree that it all should be as simple as you suggest for those with the same level of commitment you describe.

LostSoul

Adventurer
Both. I think the DM should be relatively ignorant about the difficulty of each encounter, as well as what order the players will choose to take on the encounters. I don't expect the DM to deliberately act in ignorance -- that's what I'm saying: the game should force, or at least encourage them to be ignorant, so that they don't have to refuse knowledge themselves. Presenting greater knowledge and control over the game experience alongside less knowledge and control over the game, as equal options, doesn't work. That's not a fair choice.

That's an interesting point of view. I hadn't considered it before.

How do you keep DMs ignorant over time?

Tovec

Explorer
I don't want roles in the Monster Manual.

I'm competent enough to decide what I want my monsters to do.
New players be darned.

I want things in 5E for new players, even though they will be of no use to me. They're the only player group that has no voice in this, since they're not currently players.

Because the concepts of roles are so easy to understand and follow?
Not only do you have to understand what a Controller does and what its strengths and weaknesses are. But you now have to understand how to use those traits in combat and pick from a list of similar controllers (because each stat block starts by saying it is a controller). You also have to do this in relation to seeing skirmisher, and figuring out what is different about skirmishers and how skirmishers work in combat differently than controllers.

In that case, it isn't any different from having expertise in one form versus having it in another. Without the roles you would do the exact same thing, when learning the system and trying to figure out where a character would be best served. A better idea might be teaching new people (and experienced people) how a creature might best be used. Which IS mutually exclusive with saying "elite brute 7".

Teach them (instead of saying elite) that a certain monster or race of creatures might be best used only one at a time. AND how things change dramatically based on what is with them. A group of dragons could all be the same role, but they are going to play much differently than a creature used as a solo/boss. They are also going to play much differently than a mix of different typed/stated dragons or even a dragon by himself, or a dragon with a group of kobolds. All these things are nuances that need to be taught or learned at some point. What roles do is NOT articulate this different or distinction, when something else could do it much better. Teach people how to read the stat block and pick out key details and this will serve them much better than relying on a keyword at the top of the entry. Especially when that keyword may be misapplied or inaccurate.

I think that proscriptive us easier to fall into for designers when they are designing for specific combat roles. "Hey Mike, we need a goblin artillery monster, so I gave him a shortbow, and a special feat with a bonus to hit if he spends his initiative and attacks last, called an aimed shot. We're good now."

I'd rather see an entry for goblin with a pool of tools from which to build, rather than Goblin, Archer, Artillery.

I think that it would work best as far as customization to have a base goblin and then be able to add archer or other things to him. But I think if it is done poorly then it will be a LOT more work. And if done well then it would probably resemble (easily applied) templates in a lot of ways.

Sadly, the extra work is probably what will kill the idea before it goes anywhere, even though I happen to agree with the sentiment that there should be a "base" goblin.

Okay, but having 13 different kinds of orcs doesn't work for me anymore than having 13 types of pre-gens works for my players when selecting characters. How do you appeal to me in that regard?

I don't want to spend hours on monster creation by any means, but I would prefer to see a base creature that can be used exactly as it is. If there is a new concept or special variant that makes sense then I'll entertain it but I want to be able to say "orc" and use an orc, not have to specify if I mean the orc minion, boss, elite, skirmisher, controller or anything.

That is what a monster manual is FOR YOU.

A monster manual for me should be a single book I can use to get any monster I need in my game. If other manuals or splatbooks come out with new options, or variants or whatever that is cool. But if the MM can't allow me to use or create very simple monster design then it fails right out of the gate for me.

Ideally I wouldn't have any creatures categorized by type or role or anything like that.

I would have a few different styles of monsters presented.

- Monsters as characters/a race would work for orcs, goblins and things that would have a distinct personality from monster to monster. That is where it makes sense to have ones with different abilities. For these I need something that is basic, even if it is "pidgeonholed" into one class/setting to start. I can easily swap a fighter orc for a wizard orc.

- [Semi-]Unique monsters are ones that should be reasonably few in existence, or that rely on their natural talents for powers. A lot of the classic "monster" monsters are like this. I expect every medusa to have petrification. And in general I'll be very displeased if there are a number of class variations for these creatures. Every rust monster should be the same for me. Most dragons should be the same - certainly all reds to eachother unless they have class levels or something.

- A mix of both - like a lot of outsiders in 3e. These creatures are ones who have random abilities which neither conform directly to race (and usually not to class either). These I can see both forms - with "class" or "role" more closely aligned but not necessarily. A lot of those variations can be more related to what they are and where they come from. I can get more variation and use out of different kinds of devils than I can if I have 3 types of the same devil - because of power level.

I realize a lot of what I just said applies to existing design. But it is something I want 5e to look at and work on more going forward. I don't want to see every upper level fiend have some random power (presumably from different sources) because they killed the air-rulers (or whatever demon bob did). Nor do I want them each to have different elements because somehow each "demon-bob" killed the rulers of different elements. That is where it starts to fall down for me.

Last edited:

erleni

First Post
Yes.

This is still tight encounter balance, because you know what's going to happen. You're thinking ahead of the encounter. I think 5e should explicitly discourage DMs from taking too much control over the pace of the adventure. I find it to be more satisfying when the players have the space to influence the pace of the adventure themselves.

Knowing the difficulty of an encounter has nothing to do with setting the pace for me. I think you are suggesting that a master who deliberately chooses an encounter difficulty to set the story pace is to some extent railroading the adventure and I agree with you. This I (almost) never do.
As most of my adventures are free-form and I improvise a lot as a DM, knowing the most likely outcome of an encounter gives me some time to plan the next steps while the encounter enfolds, and this is a great help.

Balesir

Adventurer
I tend to build from "These are Orcs, that is what they can do--- what kind of tactics can I give them, that fit what an orc is" - simulationist in a sense - I don't really care what combat role the Orc might feel - but I want it to be an Orc.
Now give me a baselline Orc with tools to build into each role (or split roles or none at all) and I'm happy. :D
It occurs to me that I maybe see this in 4e monster design already where some don't have the opportunity to.

I use the old (offline) Monster Builder program; I have entered many of the updates and Essentials monsters into my copy as I have gone along in my campaign. As a result, if I want to run up a "new orc", I do have pretty much this. I can take an existing "basic" orc and search for "orcs" and anything else thematically similar in the "holding box" pane, then drag-and-drop powers and traits from one side to the other. Tweak it a bit manually if I feel the need (I usually do), and I'm done.

So, yeah, if 5e gives a system (including the software) by which I can do that, it'll be a plus point for it.

Balesir

Adventurer
Both. I think the DM should be relatively ignorant about the difficulty of each encounter, as well as what order the players will choose to take on the encounters. I don't expect the DM to deliberately act in ignorance -- that's what I'm saying: the game should force, or at least encourage them to be ignorant, so that they don't have to refuse knowledge themselves.
Really? Wow. OK.

Presenting greater knowledge and control over the game experience alongside less knowledge and control over the game, as equal options, doesn't work. That's not a fair choice.
Ah, wait - are you saying that you see this as the game system taking control of the game world away from the GM?

Campbell

Relaxed Intensity
That's an interesting point of view. I hadn't considered it before.

How do you keep DMs ignorant over time?

I don't think it's possible if they have a vested interest in not staying ignorant. If encounter design based on game play concerns is important to a given DM they will either develop an intuition over time, rely on secondary analysis, or choose to run a game that provides them with the tools they need to design encounters based on game play concerns. Honestly I doubt it would take very long for statistical analysis of monsters to occur. There are a lot of math nerds and tech guys who play D&D, and tools for statistical analysis are pretty mature at this point.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases