What's Up With D&D? for Monday, 9 July 2012

Gaming Tonic

First Post
[news]This week Wizards of the Coast launches a new contest for your playtest group, gives you a couple of themes for your players who have to play drow to use. We also get more insight into D&D Next, a look at some new old books, and a twist on using companions sometimes in your game. It is a slow week but if you are a fan of the playtest and the next edition than you have to hope that we are seeing a lot of time and energy put to good use there.[/news]

• Character Themes: Scourges of Lolth by Erik Scott de Bie gives us two theme options for drow characters, the House Priestess and Widow of Arach-Tinilith. As far as themes go these two are pretty interesting and the Level 10 Feature of the Widow is excellent. It is unfortunate that two themes are presented which exclude any males and any non-drow. Maybe with a couple tweaks these can be applied to something in your homebrew campaign.

[*]D&D Next fever is running wild and Rodney Thompson gets to answer your questions about it every week in Rule of Three. This week the questions are concerning fighting styles, monster design, and backgrounds. The fighting styles one seems to pop up a lot, so you can bet Wizards of the Coast are going to take a long look at getting that part to fit fan expectation. This thread really has a lot of chatter, read the responses and leave your own here.

[*]Working in the Game Mine by Mike Mearls in Legends and Lore pulls back the curtain on the mindset that the designer has to have when approaching D&D Next. The example Mike uses is about monster design and presentation but really applies to so many of the aspects of the game. When designing the game we have to consider the DM, players, and personal tastes, but in a way that allows the game to be functional and accessible to all. This is a great article and the fans at EN World are talking about it here.

[*]A Suite Alternative in The Dungeon Master Experience by Chris Perkins examines an option that you can use in your game for players, companion characters. First, I am happy to see someone saying that epic level character sheets are too much. Second, I think this is a good idea for the player who is just dropping in or guest starring but I don’t think any of my regular players are going to be happy about less abilities, powers, and the true hindrance of the companion character, lack of surges.

[*]Project Yore by Jon Schindehette in Dragon’s Eye View is a backstage pass to the work and consideration that went into bringing this project to the fans. It is a difficult juggling to make fans of all editions pleased with anything as a group. I think some of the playtest feedback bears that out. These books look amazing and I can’t wait to see what other products we get re-released going forward.

[*]July: In the Works by Bart Carroll announces a new D&D Next Video Contest. We are also made privy to what we can see coming up in the next few months, including Gencon. With so much drow and Dungeon Command hitting the game tables it is a great time to be a gamer.

[*]The +5 Crossword of Slaying--Part 14 by Chris Perkins is now available to turn your brain to jelly. Now that we have received a lot of these puzzles I think we have run out of easy gimme answers.

Attachments

• dra413_scourges.jpg
    dra413_scourges.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 207
Last edited by a moderator:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases