WotC's D&D Virtual Table Cancelled

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
WotC has just sent out the following "DDI Broadcast", informing users of the impending cancellation of the D&D Virtual Table, which will cease operation on July 30th 2012. This comes from Wotc_Josh from the group D&D Insider Beta, and closely follows Paizo's own announcement about their new VTT, "Paizo Game Space".

"I wanted to inform you all about an important decision that Wizards has made regarding the D&D Virtual Table and Virtual Table Beta. While we appreciate the enthusiasm and participation in the Beta phase, we were unable to generate enough support for the tool to launch a full version to the public. Effective July 30, 2012 the D&D Virtual Table Beta will be coming to an end and the VT will be closed.

Over the next three weeks, we encourage you to wrap up your existing campaigns and make sure to gather contact information from your online group members so that you can stay in touch if you like. We realize that because all data generated in the tool is in a proprietary format usable only by the Virtual Table, it is not possible to export your campaigns for use in another tool. You can, however, take screenshots of any notes, maps or adventures that you would like to hang on to or use in your home games.

We would like to thank everyone who participated in the VT Beta and look forward to continuing to support D&D game play through our D&D Insider digital tools and D&D Next."

Attachments

3.8 KB · Views: 8,410
Last edited:

fanboy2000

Adventurer
Well, that's it for the VT

I just got this email from WotC:

Wizards said:
I wanted to inform you all about an important decision that Wizards has made regarding the D&D Virtual Table and Virtual Table Beta. While we appreciate the enthusiasm and participation in the Beta phase, we were unable to generate enough support for the tool to launch a full version to the public. Effective July 30, 2012 the D&D Virtual Table Beta will be coming to an end and the VT will be closed.
I am very disappointed in them.

MadJoe

First Post
Well this happened sooner than I expected.

Just got an e-mail from wizards.

"You have a new broadcast on your site at The Wizards Community!

Wotc_Joshfrom the groupD&D Insider Beta has sent you a broadcast.
Subject: D&D VT Community Announcement
I wanted to inform you all about an important decision that Wizards has made regarding the D&D Virtual Table and Virtual Table Beta. While we appreciate the enthusiasm and participation in the Beta phase, we were unable to generate enough support for the tool to launch a full version to the public. Effective July 30, 2012 the D&D Virtual Table Beta will be coming to an end and the VT will be closed.

Over the next three weeks, we encourage you to wrap up your existing campaigns and make sure to gather contact information from your online group members so that you can stay in touch if you like. We realize that because all data generated in the tool is in a proprietary format usable only by the Virtual Table, it is not possible to export your campaigns for use in another tool. You can, however, take screenshots of any notes, maps or adventures that you would like to hang on to or use in your home games.

We would like to thank everyone who participated in the VT Beta and look forward to continuing to support D&D game play through our D&D Insider digital tools and D&D Next."

Sad to see this go.

Last edited:

techno

Explorer
It is ironic that this announcement occurs around the same time as Paizo announcing new tools that support online play. Yet another broken DDI-related promise. Sad.

Last edited:

Pour

First Post
Admittedly, I wasn't going to use the VTT having become fairly adept at Maptool, but sad to hear it's going. I guess they don't need a robust VTT for 'theatre of the mind'. I'll be MUCH more upset if they announce the end of the online tools, which were supposed to blend seamlessly with the VTT.

Neuroglyph

First Post
WotC has just sent out the following "DDI Broadcast", informing users of the impending cancellation of the D&D Virtual Table, which will cease operation on July 30th 2012. This comes from Wotc_Josh from the group D&D Insider Beta.

"I wanted to inform you all about an important decision that Wizards has made regarding the D&D Virtual Table and Virtual Table Beta. While we appreciate the enthusiasm and participation in the Beta phase, we were unable to generate enough support for the tool to launch a full version to the public. Effective July 30, 2012 the D&D Virtual Table Beta will be coming to an end and the VT will be closed.

I'm sorry, but I guess I'm confused. Wasn't VTT something promised to be a part of everyone's DDI accounts - something that WotC said would be available for all 4E DDI users? So all of us who have been paying for DDI all this time, waiting for VTT, were really just buying a Character Builder and a Monster generator? Nice burn WotC... nice burn.

Stormonu

Legend

What data does the VTT store? Especially that couldn't be exported as some sort of text file?

I'm greatly disappointed that this didn't survive to become a release candidate. Seems like it could have had a lot of use in the coming 5E.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases