WotC's D&D Virtual Table Cancelled

tenkar

Old School Blogger
This VTT project has been cursed from the start.

First they got caught lifting the graphics for the 3D dice from Fantasy Grounds, then the lead programmer was killed in a domestic incident.

It was forgotten until it's recent resurrection as a VTT without any 3d elements and without the tools you would need to bring your own group, your own maps, your own tokens to the table.

It never stood a chance.

Dark Mistress

First Post
Shame for all the 4E DDI fans that was looking forward to it. I do agree WotC really should have given more warning for people to get information since they can't export it.

fanboy2000

Adventurer
wow, some of you act surprised, that's why I never signed up for anything online that wizards does. They never fully support anything that they do, feels like they all have ADD over there.
I wish they did have ADD over there. Then maybe they would have learned some coping strategies.

Frankly, they're more like the worst Kender players. Someone (or something) over there is constantly distracted by shiny objects. They are constantly eschewing anything that looks like people might want to use for shiny objects that are worthless to the rest of us.

If this was the only example, I'd be fine with it. But Mastertools? Their best software tool was E-tools from Codemonkey Publishing. Codemonkey!

You know I could live with a lot of things. I'm a fanboy. It's my screen name. .NET? O.k. Subscriptions? Sure. Silverlight? O.k.

But you know what? Pick one. Stick with it.

And for all that is good and holy, read The Mythical Man-Month.

Frylock

Explorer
wow, some of you act surprised, that's why I never signed up for anything online that wizards does. They never fully support anything that they do, feels like they all have ADD over there.

WotC has done a lot with the character builder, and there is a ton of varied content presented in Dungeon and Dragon magazines, appealing to all sorts of interests among the 4e players. These are important pieces of the DDI, so making such a sweeping statement of neglect on the part of WotC is unfair.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
I don't know, Dungeon is a shell of its former self. Not deity articles. No demon lord articles. Less adventures. And Dragon is just ok. I can't recall the last article that I just couldn't stop reading.

All I really use anymore is the monster builder. If I played, I'd probably use the character builder. But I'm not sure those two alone are worth the money anymore.

Thraug

First Post
I'm hoping they are redirecdting their digital development to 5e and just aren't telling us that's what they are doing, to protect from not completing promises as they did with 4e's digital products.

Frylock

Explorer
I don't know, Dungeon is a shell of its former self. Not deity articles. No demon lord articles. Less adventures. And Dragon is just ok. I can't recall the last article that I just couldn't stop reading.

Overall, I don't read most of the articles per issue, but I never expect to want to do that. They're not catering to me as an individual. They're dealing with a large, diverse market, some of which is being well-served by 3PPs (free and fee-based). Your point on demon lord articles really hits home for me, but again, it's not about me; it's about everyone, and if they're selling enough DDI subscriptions to justify their approach, and if requests for articles doesn't include the articles they aren't publishing, they're not going to change.

All I really use anymore is the monster builder. If I played, I'd probably use the character builder. But I'm not sure those two alone are worth the money anymore.

A fair point, but I hope you see that it's not the point I was addressing. They're trying. Whether they're succeeding is another question, and the subjective answer varies from person to person. With the number of subscriptions they're apparently selling, I'd say they're doing a good job of dealing with their market regardless of whether any one of us individually feels left out.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases