Pathfinder 1E Paizo announces Paizo Game Space

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Just as the D&D Virtual Table dies, Paizo announced its own plans for "Paizo Game Space". Their latest blog entry reads: "Paizo reinvents the virtual tabletop to be played directly on Paizo.com! Uses Paizo's high, max resolution maps, handouts and everything you need to run our APs. Makes everything easy to connect with people and get playing. As long as you can get to Paizo.com you can play!"

The announcement event:

Paizo Game Space

We're working on a lot of stuff:

A redesign of the Pathfinder Society website, along with new forums for each faction

and stat blocks to paizo.com, going to be biggest stat block database on the internet

More stuff I can't talk about.

Tonight i'm going to talk about one thing.

Today, Paizo is announcing a new way to play the games you love: Paizo Game Space.

[main screen ON, showing map with dragon]

Paizo Game Space is amazing software that lets you play with the people you know... anywhere in the world. All you need is the internet.

It's a virtual tabletop. Now VTTs aren't new. I'm gonna say "VTT" a lot because "virtual tabletop" is kind of a mouthful.
Virtual tabletops aren't new. There have been literally dozens of them before this. Some of them we like. Some of them we like a lot.

But none of them is exactly what we think a virtual tabletop should be.

We've talked to a lot of people and they all say the same thing:

We love playing on a VTT. We can keep our group together after people move away.

We love playing on a VTT. As Cosmo told me the other day, it lets him game in his underwear without all the catcalling and wolf whistles.

People love playing on a VTT. But they're kind of annoying!
You have to find the software. And download it. Install it. Will it run on a Mac? That's a big one for us at Paizo.

And then you get the fun part. IP addresses and firewalls and port forwarding and all that. Even network administrators don't want to deal with that stuff. That's work! We're here for fun.

So today, Paizo is reinventing the virtual tabletop.

Paizo Game Space runs right in your web browser. There's no software to install! None. Not even a plug-in.

If you can get to paizo.com, you and your friends can play on Paizo Game Space.

We're all about making life better for gamers. We've built Paizo Game Space to do just that. So let's take a quick look.

[.... demo ... ]

Here I've got the first combat from Rise of the Runelords, the Swallowtail Festival.

Smooth scrolling, panning, zooming
Drag tokens around. Resize dragon back to huge from "ginormous". Move it off map.
So here's the thing. Running a game in a VTT is fun, but the prep work is kind of a pain.

You still have to find a map, prepare it, resize it, load it, align the grid. And then you get to go looking for monster art and tokens and handouts and all the rest.

And for some of us that's fun, but sometimes you just want to play.

Paizo Game Space changes all that.

We're going to do the prep work for you.

When you run an adventure like Rise of the Runelords on Paizo Game Space, all the maps and handouts, all the monsters and NPCs, will already be right there for you.

Zoom in to FRUIT CART note, we had technical difficulties with the Swallowtail map, so instead we used a different flip-mat, so actually zoomed into carpet details instead of seeing individual fruits in fruit cart

The source for this map is about 200 megabytes. It's higher resolution than what we put in our PDFs. This is the original art we send to the printer. Maximum resolution.
Zoom out.

Let's take a quick look at combat. I want to emphasize something here about our approach.

We are not implementing the Pathfinder rules in Paizo Game Space. That would be crazy.
Our approach is, just don't be stupid by default.

Show Initiative tab.
So it knows a little about initiative.

Roll initiative. Modify a roll.
Start combat. Next, next. Round separator.

So it knows a little about initiative, it knows players and monsters go in order, and it knows about rolling dice. But if you need to change something you can.

Drag to reorder initiative. Click to delay or ready. Next, next. Take readied action.

OK, so that's a brief look at Paizo Game Space. I can't tell you how excited I am about this.

Let me answer a couple questions I know you have: When can I use it. And how much is it gonna cost.

When can I use it.

It's not quite ready yet. Don't worry, we're not going to wait until it's perfect. It turns out, software is never perfect.

So you'll be able to play with Paizo Game Space sometime this summer. And we'll keep making it better as we go.

How much will it cost?

Nothing. We haven't worked out all of the details yet. Or really any of the details.

But you'll be able to play a game on our virtual tabletop and not pay us a dime.

We'll have ways for you to give us money, don't worry about that. We like money.

But the main reason we're working on this is to build our community. Provide a place for you to gather.

A place to meet, talk, hang around, buy stuff. And now, game.

Thank you, and good night!

Attachments

• vt1.jpg
    vt1.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 1,455
  • vt7.png
    vt7.png
    50.7 KB · Views: 1,102
  • vt6.png
    vt6.png
    52.1 KB · Views: 1,239
  • vt5.jpg
    vt5.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 1,454
  • vt4.png
    vt4.png
    87 KB · Views: 1,162
  • vt3.jpg
    vt3.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 1,559
  • vt2.png
    vt2.png
    86.5 KB · Views: 1,299
  • vt8.png
    vt8.png
    38.2 KB · Views: 1,123
  • vt9.png
    vt9.png
    48.1 KB · Views: 1,068
  • vt10.png
    vt10.png
    57.2 KB · Views: 1,078
Last edited:

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Looks a little light so far, but for free and easy, my interest is piqued.

What is make-or-break time is: can I make this from the ground up in an easy way? Can I drag-and-drop images? Set up click-and-run dice rollers? Make a map on the fly? Add clickable notes? Do a character sheet that runs whatever I click on?

If they manage to be just as good as maptool, but easier, it may be worth it.

Elsewise, it's yet another tabletop I won't be learning anytime soon. :p

Lwaxy

Cute but dangerous
Looks good, really good. I just wonder if it is affordable, after all, I own/co-own most of the APs already, but as they were bought in a local store (impossible to pay shipping to Germany) I wouldn't profit from any possible "you bought it you can play it" policy.

Jhaelen

First Post
And, once again, Paizo takes Wizards of the Coast to school to show them how to properly run a fantasy RPG business....
Don't you feel that's a wee bit premature? Remember WotC announcing and showing their nifty 3d VTT?
We haven't worked out all of the details yet. Or really any of the details.
That's exactly the kind of statement that makes me confident. Not!

Votan

Explorer
Don't you feel that's a wee bit premature? Remember WotC announcing and showing their nifty 3d VTT?
That's exactly the kind of statement that makes me confident. Not!

It helps that it is freeware; one feels a little less slighted when something that is planned but not paid for doesn't pan out. The DDI community did not make specific promises but there was a general theory of "nice things are coming to cntinue to make your subscription worthwhile".

THe VTT seemed to be one of these items.

A free table that never goes anywhere is a different beast.

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
Don't you feel that's a wee bit premature? Remember WotC announcing and showing their nifty 3d VTT? (snip)

There are some big differences.

1. WotC never delivered a digital offering on-spec and on-time so deserve to be mocked again. And again.
2. Paizo never promised their game table as part of a paid-for service unlike WotC.

Crothian

First Post
If it can be used and aid the table top game and not just people playing on line then I'll be happy. Otherwise it is of little use to me.

There are some big differences.

1. WotC never delivered a digital offering on-spec and on-time so deserve to be mocked again. And again.
2. Paizo never promised their game table as part of a paid-for service unlike WotC.
Can I deduct xp from you?

We all know by now, that D&D tools did not come in time, and that one of the reasons was a tragedy.

So no. Mocking someone again and again is just annoying.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases