Confidence in WotC

What is your confidence level in WotC's ability to successfully manage the D&D brand?

• Not confident

Votes: 83 50.0%
  • Fairly confident

Votes: 45 27.1%
  • Mostly confident

Votes: 28 16.9%
  • Absolutely confident

Votes: 10 6.0%

• Poll closed .

Lord Pendragon

First Post
Hrm...I'd have to say average confidence. No more or less than, say, my confidence that Ang Lee's next movie will be amazing (though it looks good). He's given me some great cinema, and some...not so great.

3.0 was as huge a departure from 2.0 as 4.0 turned out to be from 3.5. 3.5 turned out to be the best system I've played so far. 4.0 I hated, though others loved.

Only time will tell how 5.0 turns out, for me and the gaming community in general.

I hope that it will be something most of us can enjoy. Am I confident it will? Eh.

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
(snip) 4e went from hardbound books, to Essentials, to boxed sets then useless boxed sets with thin cardboard, to cardboard covers.
They went from separating DM and PC content for the planes and campaign settings to releasing fewer books and mixing the two. (snip)

Essentials was a farce.

For 30+ years, D&D has been based on having a book called the Player's Handbook as the foundation of the game. The entire d20/OGL strategy was formulated to ensure that customers were always pointed to buying a Player's Handbook.

Then along came Essentials and throw that core model out the window.

Big mistake. Basic mistake.

(snip) 5e is built on modules. So they need to publish books with these optional rules. But, with their mindset, it would be really easy to publish half of the must-have really cool modules and then move on to something else and accessories rather than continue with the other half of the must-have really cool modules.

Great points.

Also, I always think of Iron Heroes. I don't like games (or anything else) that are published incomplete. I'm not talking about supplements; I'm talking about games that are functionally incomplete at publication.

I would not put the person responsible for Iron Heroes in charge of a new version of D&D... especially a version that is using modular as a synonym for incomplete.

Remove ads