Evolution of your Gaming Space

jcayer

Explorer
In defense of my patio furniture in the house, I have 2 little girls and live in a ranch style house. Playing in the kitchen or dining room would have been too loud for them, so we ended up in the family room. At the time, the patio furniture was the easiest things to move.
Everyone liked the round table as well.

We're also seeing ourselves get away from the grid. The TV works well to display a rough maptools map for the players, instead of a small graph paper map. It makes it easy for the remote guy to join us, and it prevents the good old player trying to map, DM constantly taking the map to correct it, etc. Now the DM sees how it gets drawn, so it's easy.

Radiating Gnome

Adventurer
Grew up playing on dining room tables or in basement's at one friend's house or another. Back when your gaming stuff arrived in one hand and your sleeping bag was in another.

As an adult gamer, played on a lot of folding tables in a lot of basements. Some dining room tables.

Got married a little over 6 years ago, and took over a not-quite-finished room in the basement. And that's when the real improvements started.

For several years we played in that basement (we called it the Grotto). I built a rig for a projector, with a mirror to direct the image down onto the table, and that was our method for a long time.

For a while we had a period where I tried running the game via maptools, but with everyone in the room -- I have enough old laptops and computers that I could set up a terminal of some sort for every player and the DM (yeah, I'm that guy). But it didn't work very well -- no one liked it, everyone felt like the screens/monitors were getting in their way. But the computer-driven maps, via projector, are a HUGE timesaver for the DM.

Now my wife and I have moved into a new house -- a big ranch with no basement -- but a big family room that has become the game room. I'm not allowed to hang a projector from the ceiling, so we're using a temporary solution (a pole, basically) while I work on other options.

I looked at the Geek Chique Emissary long and hard -- it's a much more presentable table than the Sultan is, and I have a chunk of money saved that I can spend on this, but it doesn't suit our needs -- we're very much dedicated to having the computer-assisted surface to play on. I actually just started talking to a local custom furniture maker in town about a table that, I hope, will suit our needs much better than the Emissary.

-rg

Started at a variety of tables, just a friend and myself with him DMing. A dining room table, basement with an old dining table, a conference table in a room where his dad worked (and he had the keys to get us in after hours). We soon added more players and moved to playing atop a ping-pong table in the basement at his house. Got up to 6 or 7 players for most games when we merged games with another group.

He'd met a group of players discussing D&D when he was working at Pizza Hut and we all joined his game - yeah, it was a really sizeable crowd at times. He had the second floor of a house pretty much to himself. His bedroom had a dividing wall splitting his actual bedroom from an area with another ping-pong table - which sat atop a pair of sawhorses - atop which was a full 4x8 sheet of plywood - the surface of which was almost entirely covered by plastic-coated graph paper we used to be able to buy off a roll for about 40 cents a foot. Gamed there all day Saturdays, noon-midnight+, about 48 weeks a year, for the better part of a decade. A number of players moved away and/or gave up D&D.

Eventually I got a place of my own and by that time I was starting to run my own games so went back to a dining room table at my condo with a now much more manageable roster of players. Burned out on DMing for a while but joined as a player in another game that had been running by the guy who first DMed for me (he'd moved back into town). That one was at a large dining table in the living room of an oversized apartment being shared by other gamers. There were actually a couple other weekly games being played at the same table on different days.

Eventually wound up joining another new game starting up by old gaming aquaintences having moved back into town - back at another dining room table. His house was utterly trashed and I grew to despise his wife who was also playing with us, but the D&D itself was mostly fairly good. More moving around and I ran a few more games from my condo but had difficulty keeping games running when Spring and Summer came along. Finally _I_ moved and got another game started. This one started around a HUGE boardroom table in office space one of the players had for his business. I loved that space for gaming. TONS of room and storage for all the minis, books, Master Maze pieces and schtuff. Only problem was that it was a 30-45 minute drive for me, and when the game rolled into the AM hours it was annoying to have to still pack up my campaign stuff so I could work on the game at home and head home. When that business shrank he got rid of the office but we moved that table into my unfinished basement without a break in the campaign. Later moved the campaign to an outdoor venue.

The roster had finally shrunk to 4 fairly regular players. We were having good weather so on a fluke one night we set up the game outside under a large awning next to a travel trailer. When it got dark we set up oil lamps to game by. It was great. We managed to play for well over 6 months outdoors by oil lamp. I had a lot of fun running that game and while I wouldn't say it was perfect (still that 30-40 minute drive) I had reduced my DMing "overhead" to minimal gear and the mood of the actual physical setting of the table was awesome.

When it got cold again moved back to my basement for a while. This was all in Washington state in the Seattle/Tacoma area.

Finally, made a move to California. Back to kitchen table gaming but its been hard to start a game and keep it going. Best campaign I've managed in the last decade is probably a dozen sessions. :(

DnD_Dad

First Post
Started at the kitchen table or floor. Went from house to house in this fashion for years. Ended up in my parents garage on an old table I reclaimed(garbage picked.) Had a blast playing after hours at my buddy's game store until it shut down for good. Went to my garage and now we play in my brother's carriage house or in my sunroom(depends which group and what game.). I'm happy to say that I play Shadowrun 2nd on Sundays with same friends from 20 years ago and Monday's I play AD&D 2nd at my brother in law's carriage house that is only used for gaming, drinking and smoking cigars. ;)

Daeja

Explorer
We used to play on a dining room table in a friend's rented house.

Now, with a different group, we alternate between a long folding table and kitchen chairs in my living room to the dining room table at our DM's place. My husband *really* wants to get a projector rigged and to build his own version of the Sultan, and there's a room in our basement that's allegedly going to become a gaming room but since it requires him to finish building bookcases and potentially that table first.... (I'm pretty much writing that room off as a lost cause :p ).

Ideally, I'd like to get a more comfortable setup.. maybe a pair of couches and a comfy chair around a table midway between coffee and dining height, plus cabinets/bookcases for books and minis and boardgame storage. Maybe my desk. If only my home office room was bigger....

Jupp

Explorer
20 years ago we started playing in the basements of churches (community rooms you could ask to use for a weekend or so) and we built our dungeons with matches and used pebbles and dice for monsters, and sometimes the odd Ral Partha mini for NPCs .

Today we play in my apartment and our battle map is a 48" LED TV lying flat on the a big table. It's connected to my notebook that runs maptools and we use D&D minis for our encounters.

So much for the evolution of our gaming space. Now that I've written that it feels kind of scary and fantastic and the same time :-S

El Mahdi

Muad'Dib of the Anauroch
...We don't need a big table anymore. So I hooked a PC up to our 50 inch family room TV, everyone sits on the couch, and we're good to go. Setup is simply cleaning the coffee tables and setting up a couple tray tables. Cleanup is the same. The players are much happier sitting on the comfy couch for hours instead of hard chairs.

So, how has your gaming space evolved?

This is pretty much what we do now also.

We used to use our Florida room, but it just gets too hot in the summer. So, we use the Family room now.

I turn on the fireplace (electric); everybody sits on couches and uses trays; I set up my DM table (2' deep by 5' wide card table); hook my laptop up to the TV for maps, pictures, and music/sounds; and we use the coffee table for the game mat (it's one of thos coffee tables where the top is hinged and can be raised up to eating level, we elevate it and it's perfect for the minis).

It Works Awesomely. And you're right, everybody is comfy.

:)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases