WotC's Announcement re. the Revised Core Rulebooks

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Just got this from WotC:

Announcement Regarding 2003 Revisions to the DUNGEONS & DRAGONS(r) Roleplaying Game Core Rulebooks

December 5, 2002

Wizards of the Coast, Inc. has some great news to share with our loyal DUNGEONS & DRAGONS(r) roleplaying game fans. Since the release of the latest edition of the D&D(r) core rulebooks in 2000, we have striven to listen to the reviews, accolades, criticism, and other comments that our fans have contributed about these titles. The past two years have been filled with consumer feedback that has provided us with a wealth of information for making our books more rich in depth and gameplay - in short, more opportunity for every fan to enjoy the game a little more.

After gathering this invaluable input from the fans and putting it together with our own observations, it was clear that some targeted revisions in the three core rulebooks would go a long way towards creating these requested improvements in the D&D roleplayer's gaming experience. Therefore, we have incorporated fan comments and suggestions into upcoming revised editions of the Player's Handbook, Dungeon Master's Guide, and Monster Manual. While the overall rules system will remain intact, these targeted changes have been designed to help with character play, convey consistency, and improve overall game flow. These updated core rulebooks will be on store shelves in July 2003, and we will be releasing more details in the months leading up to release. Please watch the Wizards of the Coast, Inc. website for more information.

We would like to thank our fans for giving us such reliable and valuable input, and we firmly believe that with your continued help and support, Wizards of the Coast, Inc. will continue to provide the foremost roleplaying game experience available.

Sincerely,

The Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Game Team

Olive

Explorer
gosh... that tells me nothing i didn't already know.

of course it is a press release and its not like i expected different, but still...

ah well, it doesn't really matter till they come out does it!

Morrus said:
Just got this from WotC: <snip>

While the overall rules system will remain intact, these targeted changes have been designed to help with character play, convey consistency, and improve overall game flow.

Remarkably uninformative, yet this blub would lead me to speculate that there is little, if anything, to speculate about.

Looks like errata inserted and unclear rules clarified ala FAQ to me.

Sir Edgar

First Post
I'm sure though that input did not include comments like, "We'd like to see a revised edition two years from now."

I have mixed feelings about the revised edition. It seems like a good idea, but at the same time, I feel like they could have waited, oh say, at least five years after they released 3rd edition.

belegost

First Post
Sir Edgar said:
I'm sure though that input did not include comments like, "We'd like to see a revised edition two years from now."

Nor is it likely that there any input including comments like, "Please get rid of your creative staff many of whom we have enjoyed for years and THEN do a revised edition."

SemperJase

First Post
Wow. Bitter bitter bitter.

I guess there is always something to complain about.

Isn't this good news that all your d20 books are not now "obsolete"?

This is a sound business decision that may help the hobby by clearing some issues up, making the books more appealing while keeping the old books relevant for people who don't want to shell out another $40 bucks per book.

Its win, win, win.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
I'm okay with it. I am a tad worried not about obsoleteness for my d20 stuff, but how this will affect some gamers. Even so, I deal and keep cool.

thalmin

Retired game store owner

For over 2 years we have been posting hundreds (thousands?) of messages saying WotC should have made this or they should have done that or they oughta change something else. And they gotta correct all these errors.
Whenever a new product is scheduled, we want it yesterday.

Well, now that they may be offering some of what we wanted, many folks here are complaining because WotC listened to us.

If what comes out is an improvement, it can't be too soon. If it's not, well either way no one is being forced to buy it.

Few complain that there are too many d20 books to read all of them. It's really another case of pick and choose.

Personally, I am always looking for products that I think will improve my game.

theoremtank

First Post
Now I know the primary motive for these revised books is to generate revenue (as it is for most businesses), however I trully hope the secondary purpose of this project is to further improve, streamline, and enhance the core rules system. The designers have had the chance to view 2 years of our feed back as well as contemplate and toy with the core rules mechanics on their own. I'm sure they have had a lot of "we should have done it this way" or "it would be far more consistent if we did this" thoughts. So I hope they are not afraid to really rework or rewrite areas of the rules if it means making the overall system more consistent and all 3 core rule books more unified. I would rather they continually refine and enhance the core rules mechanics than act as if the system is perfect and there is no room for improvement.

I truely hope these revised books show a large amount new and revised work to make it worth my purchase.

Wizards of the Coast, don't be afraid to tweak those classes or completely rewrite certain rules in the name of a more perfect, consistent, and simple D&D rules system!

Last edited:

Doc_Klueless

Doors and Corners
Sir Edgar said:
Well, to be fair, it'll be closer to 3 years (minus a month). But who's counting? :D

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases