D&D 5th Edition A Modest Proposal to Unify the Fanbase without D&D Next

+ Log in or register to post
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Hybrid View

Defender (Lvl 8)

GM's DayKobold PressGoodman GamesKickstarterENniesGygax Memorial FundColumnist

Ignore Neuroglyph

A Modest Proposal to Unify the Fanbase without D&D Next

Last night, I posted a blog with a proposal to WotC to consider an alternative course than to publish yet another edition of D&D. I've even linked in a petition on Change.org, and Im hoping to get some grassroots support from those in the D&D community who are not favoring D&D Next to sign on.

Please check out the blog here A Proposal & Petition:
    Say YES to DUNGEONS & DRAGONS / Say NO THANKS to D&D NEXT

And if you like the proposal, please link it to your fellow gamers who might be interested in considering something other than D&D Next for the future of the game.

And remember: Supporting ALL D&D EDITIONS means supporting ALL D&D FANS!
    Life is the game that must be played. ~Edwin Arlington Robinson
    ...but who the heck is DM'ing?

For additional 4E Reviews, News, and More, check out:

Follow Neuroglyph Games on Twitter: @neuroglyph

The Great Druid (Lvl 17)

Ignore Mallus
    I have an even modest-er proposal to unify the D&D fanbase:

Stop dividing yourselves.

Chill out, stop getting hung up on systems and your own idiosyncratic preferences, place your emphasis on finding some people whose company you enjoy and game with them.

To paraphrase the Stones: you can't always get (exactly) what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you get what you need.
    "You should probably put your bandit hat on now. Personally, I- I don't have one, but I modified this tube sock." - Ash, Fantastic Mr. Fox.

The Chronicle of Burne, and Some Others of Lesser Importance: Updated 05-17-2009! Current episode: Flight of the Philip.

The Port on the Aster Sea
    Our 4e setting. It's a heartbreaking work of staggering genius!

Quote Originally Posted by Mallus View Post
    I have an even modest-er proposal to unify the D&D fanbase:

Stop dividing yourselves.

Chill out, stop getting hung up on systems and your own idiosyncratic preferences, place your emphasis on finding some people whose company you enjoy and game with them.

To paraphrase the Stones: you can't always get (exactly) what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you get what you need.
    It has nothing to do with getting what I want. The situation isn't that I must have what I want from 5E. The situation is that I already have what I want in the form of 4E, and if 5E doesn't offer me as much or more than 4E already does it may as well not exist.

The Great Druid (Lvl 17)

Ignore Mallus
    Quote Originally Posted by thecasualoblivion View Post
    The situation is that I already have what I want in the form of 4E, and if 5E doesn't offer me as much or more than 4E already does it may as well not exist.
    Great! Then you're not in the market for a new edition.

But that doesn't mean other D&D players aren't.

Heck, I like 4e, too. I'm also gearing up to run Pathfinder while enjoying DM'ing a now year-old AD&D campaign.

I still plan on buying/trying D&D Next. I'm curious what the designers end up with.
    "You should probably put your bandit hat on now. Personally, I- I don't have one, but I modified this tube sock." - Ash, Fantastic Mr. Fox.

The Chronicle of Burne, and Some Others of Lesser Importance: Updated 05-17-2009! Current episode: Flight of the Philip.

The Port on the Aster Sea
    Our 4e setting. It's a heartbreaking work of staggering genius!

Quote Originally Posted by Mallus View Post
    Great! Then you're not in the market for a new edition.

But that doesn't mean other D&D players aren't.

Heck, I like 4e, too. I'm also gearing up to run Pathfinder while enjoying DM'ing a now year-old AD&D campaign.

I still plan on buying/trying D&D Next. I'm curious what the designers end up with.
    I'm not really in the market for a new RPG, to be honest, but WotC is in the market for ME. If WotC wants me as a customer, they need to do better than to staple together a bunch of sacred cows from various editions, many of which I could care less about or find offensive, with no overall guiding plan.

Grandfather of Assassins (Lvl 19)

Ignore DEFCON 1
    I'm not really in the market for a new RPG, to be honest, but WotC is in the market for ME. If WotC wants me as a customer, they need to do better than to staple together a bunch of sacred cows from various editions, many of which I could care less about or find offensive, with no overall guiding plan.
    Actually, no... WotC doesn't give a rat's ass about YOU. If YOU don't buy 5E, oh well, no skin off their nose.

What they care about are D&D players as a group. So they are trying to produce a game that can work for a majority of players, even if it isn't 100% exactly what each of those players would want. If it's close enough, then they're good.

But no company in their right mind would design a game to cater to YOU. Because what YOU want is not necessarily what most of the player base wants. And to think otherwise is just ridiculous. And if you go elsewhere while a large proportion of the player base goes along with what they are doing, then so be it. Enjoy whatever game you play.

Waghalter (Lvl 7)

Ignore tlantl
    I think the issue is not whether to support all editions, it's how can we (Wotc) get the biggest return for our investment in developer costs.

D&D N is just another instance of the five year cycle of releasing another set of rules for D&D. The essentials expansion failed to draw a crowd and 4e isn't selling as well as they would have liked so the idea is to try to unite the fan base with a version of the game that will appeal to people that 4e doesn't, as well as those who found pathfinder to be a better fit, and all of the rest of us who have found WotC's versions of D&D to be a poor substitute for TSR D&D.

D&D N is a marketing scheme that is attempting to get as many D&D players to buy into it as possible. Supporting the older games won't make them as much money as selling us all a new system.

I don't need them to sell me several dozen 1e or 3e books I already have them. I don't buy their adventures because the suck, and I like to write my own. I get a lot of my enjoyment of the game drawing maps and filling in the areas with traps, treasure, and monsters. As far as I can see there's not enough market to justify not making a new edition.

I guess that there's just going to be one more chapter of edition wars coming and a further division of the base as D&D N fails to make 4e layers happy, or the vancian haters or the at-will haters or any other splinter segment of the hobby. It's written in plain sight on the wall. Each faction wants things their way and this, I believe, will be the straw that breaks the camel's back

Magsman (Lvl 14)

Ignore innerdude
    Yup, yes, exactly, spot on, bingo.
    Battling the worldwide midget infestation since 1987.....

I doubt you'll ever see this happen, no matter how many signatures you get.

First, dropping 5E and supporting only the prior editions leaves out a potentially large group - or at least it seems like a large group to me, because it's the group that I'm a part of . That is, the group of players who have left D&D for other games. I've DM'd every edition since 1st (never ran or played Basic D&D, though I read the rules and still own the old Rules Cyclopedia), and for the first 15-20 years of my gaming life ran D&D almost exclusively, from 1st up through 3rd Edition. But 3E killed it for me. It was too complex, too many of the products were crap, and I wanted to try different things. I certainly look back on my 1st and 2nd games with fondness, but I don't want to play those games again. They were great when I ran them, but the mechanics are dated now. So if WoTC wants to draw back in the segment of the fan base that I represent, then a new edition is needed. And though I didn't mention it, I did pick up 4E briefly with enthusiasm when it first came out - and hated it.

Second, while nostalgic reprints are nice, I can't see WoTC having enough staff to support all these editions, especially older ones.

Third, I'm not sure that they'd sell that many copies. I still have my old 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Edition books; why do I have to buy them again? Sure, they could sell modules, but it was always my understanding that modules aren't a big money-maker for companies. For every book you sell, you at best sell only 1/5th the number of module copies, assuming every group buys your module.

Fourth, and finally, I just can't see WoTC doing this. Sure, they don't mind selling some 1st and 3.5 books now, as well as obviously continuing to support 4E for a while longer, but when 5E comes out in a year or so, they're not going to want sales of prior editions to cannibalize 5E sales. When they launch a new edition, they don't just drop support of the prior one because they're mean or don't care about that fan base, it's because it makes the most business sense.

I'm sorry 5E isn't turning out the way you would have wanted (though there's still plenty of time for that to change, of course), but short of ponying up the cash to buy the IP or company, I don't think you're going to see this happen.

Novice (Lvl 1)

Ignore HoolMarshes Dweller
    I'm looking forward to 5e after having been gone for a few editions. Most importantly, I wish WotC would reprint everything.

+ Log in or register to post
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast