D&D 5E A Modest Proposal to Unify the Fanbase without D&D Next

Mallus

Legend
Current AD&D players are happy with AD&D.
I think the operative word is "current".

Right now I'm running a campaign full of happy AD&D players. But we were happy 4e players before that, and happy 3.5e players before that.

By the time 5e is released, who knows what we'll be playing? I certainly can't, at this juncture, rule out 5e.

Kabluey

Explorer
Actually, if WotC's business plan is to only pick up players unhappy with other systems then they will go bankrupt. It's clear they intend to poach players back from rival (indeed even their own old) systems. The market is a lot more flexible than you think - just look at the number of posters who have said on these forums that they will probably pick up a copy of 5E to see what it's like.

What they hope is that the number of converts they can grab from current 4E players plus current Pathfinder players plus players plus any new players that will naturally pick up a 'new' edition over any others.. (breath) ..is larger than the number of current 4E players they can hold on to.

I think they made such a great leap from 3.5 to 4 in terms of style and gameplay that they found themselves in the *wrong* market, as far as they were concerned. They want something with larger mass appeal, and if it's true that Paizo is selling more than WotC, clearly they are in the minority market. They hope to get back into the majority market - a bit like when a political party loses an election (ok, not in the US), they can either realign to the centre or current politics or drift further to their left/right wing. The question is, will 5E appeal to the majority of the market, or are they trying to capture a minority again (be it 4E or old-school players)?

This.

Plus don't forget that the rpg market is not a zero-sum game. A lot of gamers play and support multiple systems. My group contains a player who is a big Pathfinder fan, yet he enjoys (and has purchased) Savage Worlds for our main campaign, and thoroughly enjoyed the two DDN playtests I've run. I would be surprised if he didn't purchase the 5E books when they come out, but that doesn't mean he's going to abandon Pathfinder either. It is possible to enjoy and support more than one game - even editions of D&D - at the same time.

Honestly, I think the chances of 5E not selling well in the short term are pretty slim. It's freakin' D&D! People are going to buy it just out of curiosity, just like they have with all other versions. It's really the long-term prospects that will be decided by the game's quality.

El Mahdi

Muad'Dib of the Anauroch
Well, the edition war happened and 4e is dead, so the correlation is certainly there.

No, the correlation is not there.

We had a saying in Aircraft Maintenance: "Just because a Pilot was scratching his butt when an indicator malfunctioned, doesn't mean that the Pilot scratching his butt had anything to do with the malfunction."

A Correlation means that the end of 4E and the edition wars are reciprocal, parallel, or complimentary to eachother, and there's just no evidence of this. Just because they happened concurrently does not prove correlation, cause and effect, or even contribution. If you had data (or anybody had data) that showed a significant amount of potential 4E fans didn't buy 4E or stopped buying 4E because of the edition warring - then you'd have proof. Without it, all you're doing is making claims with no evidence to support them - and making them as if they are self-apparent fact.

They aren't.

As with depraved indifference, I don't believe correlation means what you think it means...

There's been an edition war with every edition change, and the people waging that war are a vocal minority. 4E is dead simply because an overwhelming amount of gamers voted with their wallets. Period.

C'mon Man. Your declaring this stuff from thread to thread to thread is nothing more than salvo's in yet another edition war.

If you're so against edition wars, why are you insisting on continuing them in this manner...?:hmm:

I think the OGL and Pathfinder probably had more to do with it than the relentless, if disorganized, campaign of hatred and dis-information that characterized the edition war. But, I'm sure both contributed to 4e's "failure," and colored the 'lesson' WotC learned from it.

Relentless edition wars are not new with the advent of 4E. There is no proof that edition warring had anything to do with the demise of 4E, just as there is no proof of the same for the demise of 3E, 2E, 1E, and every other edition. Editions have natural life cycles based on the interest it garners among the fan base...but every edition will eventually reach a point where it's no longer a money maker through the sales of new books. That's just the way it is, and just what happened to 4E.

The edition wars are nothing more than a sideshow...a very unpleasant sideshow, but a sideshow nonetheless. They'll always be present, with each and every edition.

But if you don't like them so much, stop contributing to them. :erm:

The GSL makes cloning 4e on the level that Pathfinder cloned 3.5 impossible (well, illegal). And, while some sort of vague immitation using the OGL might stand the legal test, it's unlikely any 3pp would have the resources to carry through on the necessary legal defense to get there.

With nothing to 'rally around' the 4e fanbase will either feel forced into 5e or away from D&D altogether, there's not enough non-WotC 4e resources to make a go of it. That will, of course, be taken as final proof of the edition's failure.

With the use of the OGL, there can be much more than just a "vague imitation". The OGL has been used for some very good products. And those "retro-clones" are far from "vague imitations".

You're making broad assumptions and wild forecasts based on little or no evidence, and doing so as if this was fact.

It's not fact. But it is edition warring.

1. Nobody knows if WotC will keep 4E materials available for sale as electronic downloads or not...nobody except WotC themselves. They may even make them available for POD. With what WotC has been saying lately, I'd be very surprised if elctronic versions of all the old materials (the previous pdf's, though not necessarily in pdf format) didn't start becoming available again before the release of 5E. They've straight out said they are working to bring them back.

2. DDI is going to continue 4E support at least up through the release of 5E, and most likely longer, and possibly in perpetuity. If they don't get enough 4E fans to switch to 5E, I can't imagine them not wanting to keep those fans as customers. The best and easiest way is simply to continue DDI 4E support: as all it requires is maintenance and not development, and can garner a continuous revenue stream.

3. If WotC doesn't continue 4E DDI support, and doesn't make 4E books available through download (or POD), I'm certain that somebody will make an OGL version...if not many someones. And I honestly do not think there would be any legal resistance.

4. As long as anybody is playing 4E, which I'm certain people will, then 4E will never, ever, EVER, be a failure. I think you're going to be looking for that "final proof" you seem so looking forward to appearing, for a very very long time. Seems to me, that time would be much better spent playing and talking about games you like, rather than waiting for an "I told you so" moment. I find this to be a very unenjoyable way to participate in such an enjoyable and wide ranging hobby as ours, and I think that's very sad.:(

Last edited:

Harlock

First Post
Has anyone pointed out that the OP's premise is flawed? If D&D Next is looking at unifying players from all editions, why couldn't there be a module that added the 4e overlay to the simpler core rules? Or 3.5, 3, 2, 1, BECMI, B/X, OD&D? In this fashion, D&D Next could very well do what the OP's petition claims to want: supporting all 8 editions of the game (not four, OP).

Also flawed is the assumption that "numerous OGL/3.5 fans and Pathfinder converts who have refused to transition to 4E is a sore spot with Wizards of the Coast, representing a substantial loss of revenue and support for the current edition of D&D." Despite your claims at being inclusive, you sure are excluding a great many fans of other editions of the game who didn't support 4e. D&D is more than 3rd and 4th editions. The OSR and retro-clone movements show that there is still substantial revenue to be gained from appealing to those audiences. That is to say nothing of the thousands of players who buy up out of print TSR titles and simply continue playing their favored edition.

If WotC does D&D Next correctly, they can appeal to about as broad an audience as you imagine! The real question becomes this: can they win back the audience they lost or alienated? That will take marketing and a caring and concerted effort. Speaking for myself, it would take a lot to lure me from Castles and Crusades and put my faith in WotC again. It would also take a commitment to keep D&D Next around more than 5-6 years, which at this point, I don't think we'll see.

Harlock

First Post
With respect, that may depend upon what one considers "substantial".

With respect, well duh. ;) That there are, albeit, smaller companies than Hasbro sustaining themselves on the OSR, retro-clone movements is a fact. Given today's economic situation, is it really wise to not try and actually include everyone? If I didn't feel it was substantial enough a market for WotC to go after, I'd not have mentioned it.

the Jester

Legend
With respect, well duh. ;) That there are, albeit, smaller companies than Hasbro sustaining themselves on the OSR, retro-clone movements is a fact. Given today's economic situation, is it really wise to not try and actually include everyone? If I didn't feel it was substantial enough a market for WotC to go after, I'd not have mentioned it.

But 5e is WotC's attempt to appeal to the retroclone market, without having to pay for parallel development for multiple systems.

Harlock

First Post
But 5e is WotC's attempt to appeal to the retroclone market, without having to pay for parallel development for multiple systems.

Right, and as I expressed in my post above the one you quoted, along with the OP, I'd like to see WotC being inclusive of all editions through modules.

trancejeremy

Adventurer

If that were the case, they would have hired an old school game designer to work on it.

I think it was mostly an attempt to go after the Pathfinder people, which is why they brought in Monte Cook (and look how that worked out).

Old school people are old school people because they like their editions - they just want them supported (which 5e does not do). Not a new one to replace it.

Indeed, one of them made a post very much like the OP did

UAD&D: Dear Wizards of the Coast...

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases