Mike Mearls interview at Slashdot

n00bdragon

First Post
Actually there are many spells that require an attack roll in D&D Next. FWIW

There are many phone carriers that still offer dial-up internet service too. Just because a subpar option is available doesn't negate the existence of the better one. The fact that there are so many spells that DON'T require an attack roll is the problem. Adding spells that do require it is no more a solution than buying a slower car to make the roads safer.

ZombieRoboNinja

First Post
I don't like Vancian casters either, but as long as they aren't the only option for particular roles/archetypes (so I can be a divine caster or an arcane blaster without planning out 30 spell slots) and as long as they aren't broken (so that my non-Vancian character can play with my friend's Vancian wizard without feeling useless at high levels), I say, bring on the big tent.

If my friend wants to spend some extra time planning out spells to be rewarded with situational advantages, that's fine by me. If he is rewarded for slogging through paperwork with the ability to unleash the wrath of God on our enemies while I'm eldritch blasting for 5d6, not so much. ;)

Remove ads