5E Another D&D Next Playtest Survey
+ Log in or register to post
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 148

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Frazzled
    Pit Fiend (Lvl 26)

    Morrus's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Intrawebs
    Posts
    34,878
    Reviews
    Read 23 Reviews
    EN World EN5ider13th AgeSupermanCircvs MaximvsENniesPathfinderZEITGEISTDoctor Who

    ° Block Morrus


    ° Friend+

    Another D&D Next Playtest Survey

    WotC has just sent out details for another official playtest survey; this one dealing with wizards and clerics.
    We hope you have been enjoying the materials we have provided so far in the Dungeons & Dragons« Next playtest. At this stage in the process, we are eager to hear your thoughts on which spells are essential to D&D wizards and clerics.

    Please click the link below to complete the second D&D playtest survey, administered by SurveyGizmo. The survey begins on July 18, 2012, and you can provide your feedback anytime thereafter, until the playtest officially ends. The D&D team will review the results and use the feedback to help inform our efforts.

    Give Your Feedback


    Please don't close your browser before finishing the survey, as you won't be able to get back in to complete it.

    We also have a host of activities at Gen Con 2012 related to the D&D Next playtest, which you may be interested in. Even if you aren’t attending the convention, our keynote address and seminars will be made available after the show on our web site. For information on our Gen Con activities, visit DungeonsandDragons.com/events.

    Thanks in advance for your participation. We're excited to hear from you!

    -The D&D Team
    Attached Files Attached Files  
    Last edited by Morrus; Wednesday, 18th July, 2012 at 08:59 PM.

  2. #2
    Member
    Thaumaturgist (Lvl 9)

    Dark Mistress's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    The Dungeon.
    Posts
    586
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    ° Block Dark Mistress


    ° Friend+
    Interesting that they are looking for iconic spells.

  3. #3
    Member
    Orcus on an Off-Day (Lvl 22)



    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    6,347
    Reviews
    Read 28 Reviews
    Doctor WhoD&DWotC EvacueeEN World EN5iderRavenloft

    ° Block Jester David


    ° Friend+
    That survey was... exhaustive.

    It felt very 3e-centric in regards to spell names. Although my memory is fuzzy in terms of the spell name changes between 2e and 3e and between 3.0e and 3.5e.

    I'm not sure of the point of this survey. Any spell than has been in >2.5 editions should probably be updated and in the Core book. We don't need a repeat of 4e where iconic and recognisable Name elements are held back for four years.

    It might be a bar-setting exercise. Find out what the community thinks are the coolest and most memorable spells of each level and make those the best. Use them to set the power curve or magic and establish the benchmarks. The easy example is fireball: if you want to deal AoE damage that's the gold standard.
    Read my webcomic & blog at:
    http://www.5mwd.com

  4. #4
    Member
    Scout (Lvl 6)

    Sorrowdusk's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Oak Park, Michigan, United States
    Posts
    394
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    ° Block Sorrowdusk


    ° Friend+
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester Canuck View Post
    That survey was... exhaustive.

    It felt very 3e-centric in regards to spell names. Although my memory is fuzzy in terms of the spell name changes between 2e and 3e and between 3.0e and 3.5e.

    I'm not sure of the point of this survey. Any spell than has been in >2.5 editions should probably be updated and in the Core book. We don't need a repeat of 4e where iconic and recognisable Name elements are held back for four years.

    It might be a bar-setting exercise. Find out what the community thinks are the coolest and most memorable spells of each level and make those the best. Use them to set the power curve or magic and establish the benchmarks. The easy example is fireball: if you want to deal AoE damage that's the gold standard.

    If someone didnt check magic missle...................

  5. #5
    Member
    Magsman (Lvl 14)



    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    2,805
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    ° Block Mengu


    ° Friend+
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorrowdusk View Post
    If someone didnt check magic missle...................
    I didn't. Magic Missile does nothing for me. Of the wizards I played in any edition, most of them didn't even have it in their spell book, only one of my characters, a Fighter/Wizard had the spell, and it was so I could reflavor it as hurling a barrage of hand axes at an enemy.

    One of my notes for the wizard spells was that I didn't find damage only spells to be all that memorable over all. I want spells to do something more. When I cast a fireball, I want to see people tossed around and knocked on their asses, when I zap someone with a lightning bolt, I want to see them fly through the air and slam into the nearest wall. NdX damage, save for half is just completely boring to me.

    Therefore, I have much fonder memories with spells like Grease, Glitterdust, Thunderwave, Icy Rays, Visions of Averice, and Bigby's Hand spells, than spells like Magic Missile, Scorching Burst and Fireball.

  6. #6
    Member
    Magsman (Lvl 14)



    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    3,635
    Reviews
    Read 2 Reviews

    ° Block Herschel


    ° Friend+
    Quote Originally Posted by Mengu View Post
    Therefore, I have much fonder memories with spells like Grease, Glitterdust, Thunderwave, Icy Rays, Visions of Averice, and Bigby's Hand spells, than spells like Magic Missile, Scorching Burst and Fireball.
    Great points. My feelings also.

  7. #7
    Member
    Scout (Lvl 6)

    Sorrowdusk's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Oak Park, Michigan, United States
    Posts
    394
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    ° Block Sorrowdusk


    ° Friend+
    Quote Originally Posted by Mengu View Post
    I didn't. Magic Missile does nothing for me. Of the wizards I played in any edition, most of them didn't even have it in their spell book, only one of my characters, a Fighter/Wizard had the spell, and it was so I could reflavor it as hurling a barrage of hand axes at an enemy.

    One of my notes for the wizard spells was that I didn't find damage only spells to be all that memorable over all. I want spells to do something more. When I cast a fireball, I want to see people tossed around and knocked on their asses, when I zap someone with a lightning bolt, I want to see them fly through the air and slam into the nearest wall. NdX damage, save for half is just completely boring to me.

    Therefore, I have much fonder memories with spells like Grease, Glitterdust, Thunderwave, Icy Rays, Visions of Averice, and Bigby's Hand spells, than spells like Magic Missile, Scorching Burst and Fireball.
    It was always on my list.

    YMMV. I mostly just wanted to torment them with (force) lightning, set them alight with balls of fire, ash them with disintegrate, or Wrack then with pain. You ever plainshift a guy to the Positive Energy realm right after telling he better start cutting himself with his sword....knowing he'll be doing it for the rest of eternity???

    My favorite spells were the ones I could ONLY cast on my CE cleric.

    Last edited by Sorrowdusk; Thursday, 19th July, 2012 at 10:31 PM.

  8. #8
    I found this to be a frustrating exercise. There are some iconic spells--sleep, fireball, cure light wounds, heal, etc. But there are lots of iconic categories of powers--illusion, summoning, healing, and so forth. I really don't care if Lesser Planar Binding or Major Image are on the spell lists. But I care a lot about summoning and illusion categories of powers being well represented in the wizard class's spells.

  9. #9
    It is tough to go back and forth between what individual spells matter, and what overall categories of magic need to be there. I tried to represent the latter. I also found the names 3e-centric.

    At least it seems like they have some interest in doing it right this time.

  10. #10
    I had the experience of realising that the iconic spells in my head were usually the ones I either always cast or had amusing stories associated with them in game. Like Stone Shape for instance, probably not iconic to most, but to me it saved our lives once in a dungeon where we abused the spell definition to form a giant spike to drop on the bad guy's head.

    I commented on nearly every section, trying to say why I didn't pick certain things. Particularly why I chose lots of damage spells, even though I don't think that's all Wizards should do. Similarly for Clerics, who have far fewer iconic spells I think, and those like Flame Strike and Blade Barrier probably shouldn't be for every Cleric.

    I created a thread a while back discussing this - they have a good chance to redefine everything about magic. Schools, types, damages, durations, saves, keywords, effects, power levels, the lot. They should rebuild from scratch, because, most of all, that list reminded me how the D&D spell list was grown organically from how O/1/2e functioned, and the game doesn't function like that any more.

+ Log in or register to post
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Similar Threads

  1. First playtest today - survey says: good so far (Blindenstone spoilers)
    By zoroaster100 in forum D&D 5th Edition News, Rules, Homebrews, and House Rules
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: Monday, 29th April, 2013, 06:52 PM
  2. Playtest Survey Available
    By GX.Sigma in forum D&D 5th Edition News, Rules, Homebrews, and House Rules
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Thursday, 21st March, 2013, 05:36 PM
  3. [Playtest Package 1] - What about the survey?
    By infax in forum Older D&D Editions (4E, 3.x, 2E, 1E, OD&D), D&D Variants, and OSR Gaming
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: Thursday, 24th May, 2012, 07:55 PM
  4. Dragon survey and Dungeon survey
    By Robert Head in forum Roleplaying Games General Discussion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: Sunday, 12th September, 2004, 02:50 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •