D&D 5E Another D&D Next Playtest Survey

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Lanefan said:
And that, if I were WotC, would be highly concerning.

I'm not so sure.

I'd expect that the playtest results would spike in a HUGE way for the first playtest. I'd expect a very gradual downfall as people who are less hardcore/less interested/have less time get bogged down with real world stuff.

To renew interest, I'd put out new playtest rules, which should get a few people back in, but I'd still expect the first wave to be the biggest.

A playtest is very different from a game's release. Hell, most game companies have to pay people minimum wage or so to test their stuff, and they certainly don't expect playtesters to always buy the games they worked on!

An open playtest group isn't the same as "people who will buy the game when it comes out"

darjr

I crit!
None, and very few. There was the Ray of Enfeeblement, but it didn't have that dramatic an effect, and was a slickly-grey, creepy sort of thing. There a version of Outiluke's Feezing Sphere that was a ray, but there's no frost on the guy or anything. There might have been another ray or two but their descriptions and effects don't match up.

But, in particular, no way to cast on a galloping horse.

There was a way to invent new spells. The horse could be some magical beast as well, or spell creation.

gyor

Legend
I like what you've done here, but it could probably be simplified even further:

It has the virtue of being more compact and the flaw of being less interesting and nuanced than your version.

(Oh, and in my official role as your editor, as written your Cat's Grace could be ended early to prevent damage from a fort- or will-based attack, and as written Bull Strength could be ended early to add damage to a spell or dex-based attack. ;))

This idea is awesome. Thia frees up room for more spells and isn't over powered.

gyor

Legend
It was always on my list. :hmm:

YMMV. I mostly just wanted to torment them with (force) lightning, set them alight with balls of fire, ash them with disintegrate, oUpr Wrack then with pain. You ever plainshift a guy to the Positive Energy realm right after telling he better start cutting himself with his sword....knowing he'll be doing it for the rest of eternity???

My favorite spells were the ones I could ONLY cast on my CE cleric.

:devil:

Best used for Plane Shift ever. I never thought of using planeshift offensively before.

Tony Vargas

Legend
Or maybe not all the artists played D&D? No, that couldn't possibly be it, seeing how faithful the novelizations were later. :D
Yeah, it's not exactly rare for art and rules not to match up in an RPG. D&D didn't have it that bad because it's art rarely depicted action scenes like that. Battletech was the worst, the disconnect between illos, 'flavor' text, and actual rules was astounding at times.

drothgery

First Post
If a wizard wants to burn spell slots and risk a trap blowing up in his face, sure...
Knock has always worked at range, and is sufficiently low-level that even without 3.x-style wands, it's not difficult to always have it prepared or on a scroll by mid to high levels.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases